Archived Market Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve recently transitioned into market as the TL from Hardlines & Electronics and it’s been.......rough..

I’m curious how other market teams are getting through their dry push while also keeping produce orders consistent enough to keep fdc trucks manegable. We’re constantly rolling 5+ u boats of dry a day. what are some tips to coming clean or getting audits and purging in? Being new to market, I know it’s going to take time to correct the process but I’d like to know that this process can truly be fixed!

Are you familiar with Greenfield? I would suggest taking a look at the in bound replenishment report to see how long each vehicle should take to push and set those expectations with your team. Also found if TL works the 12 steps on their aisle of the backroom it helps. Also back stock as you go!!!! Don't save to the end of your shift.

Also, establish a routine. A solid routine that you can train your tm's in and stick to it. Make sure that eveyone knows what is expected of them. We do 15+ uboats a day and it really helps.

So I’ve recently transitioned into market as the TL from Hardlines & Electronics and it’s been.......rough..

I’m curious how other market teams are getting through their dry push while also keeping produce orders consistent enough to keep fdc trucks manegable. We’re constantly rolling 5+ u boats of dry a day. what are some tips to coming clean or getting audits and purging in? Being new to market, I know it’s going to take time to correct the process but I’d like to know that this process can truly be fixed!

How many tms do you have scheduled daily? Who does your p fresh? Are you giving time goals and following up on them? Are you researching daily?

Are you familiar with Greenfield? I would suggest taking a look at the in bound replenishment report to see how long each vehicle should take to push and set those expectations with your team. Also found if TL works the 12 steps on their aisle of the backroom it helps. Also back stock as you go!!!! Don't save to the end of your shift.
Yes! My day will start with Greenfield to see how large our truck is so that I can plan accordingly. But if I’m constantly rolling not all of the times provided will be accurate since it’s adding on to yesterday’s truck. Our leadership team has gone through and counted each case on a boat, multiplied that by 5 and then write the Team Member’s name who is responsible for it with the goal time that includes push, trash and back stock. We’ve set these expectations after testing them on ourselves so we know it’s realistic it’s just not always realistic to complete a truck without smart huddles or LODs taking a boat themselves in addition to the dry team.

Also, establish a routine. A solid routine that you can train your tm's in and stick to it. Make sure that eveyone knows what is expected of them. We do 15+ uboats a day and it really helps.
15 boats?! How many TMs are pushing dry and with how many hours?

How many tms do you have scheduled daily? Who does your p fresh? Are you giving time goals and following up on them? Are you researching daily?
I’m allowed 260 per week.
That breaks down into an auto tm, 7-130, pfresh 7-3, 2 dry tms 930-245, 2 mid pfresh tms 2-645 and 1 closer 4-11. The tricky part is finding a sweet spot to work out go backs and pull the CAFs. Research is a pipe dream. It seems like our opening pfresh is the only one who can get to auditing the floor

I’m allowed 260 per week.
That breaks down into an auto tm, 7-130, pfresh 7-3, 2 dry tms 930-245, 2 mid pfresh tms 2-645 and 1 closer 4-11. The tricky part is finding a sweet spot to work out go backs and pull the CAFs. Research is a pipe dream. It seems like our opening pfresh is the only one who can get to auditing the floor

I have the 2nd tm work out go backs before starting any tasks. How big are your CAFS?

I have the 2nd tm work out go backs before starting any tasks. How big are your CAFS?
/
What do you mean by 2nd tm? The CAFs are manageable during the week. The weekends can get a little rocky with that third drop. It’s the autos that kill us. I would love it if our auto tm could have everything wrapped early. I trained at a store where they were able to pull all of the autos by within two hours and all pushed before 11. I would kill for that with the amount of dry push it’d definitely help get us caught up. But again, that’s the trouble that I’ve inherited. We’ll receive a 12 hour dry truck and I’m clearly not scheduled for that and I won’t ever be given those extra hours. Since we aren’t finishing dry we’re not researching. Since we’re not researching our autos are huge. It’s a terrible cycle. I can’t be the only one who inherited this kind of broken process.

/
What do you mean by 2nd tm? The CAFs are manageable during the week. The weekends can get a little rocky with that third drop. It’s the autos that kill us. I would love it if our auto tm could have everything wrapped early. I trained at a store where they were able to pull all of the autos by within two hours and all pushed before 11. I would kill for that with the amount of dry push it’d definitely help get us caught up. But again, that’s the trouble that I’ve inherited. We’ll receive a 12 hour dry truck and I’m clearly not scheduled for that and I won’t ever be given those extra hours. Since we aren’t finishing dry we’re not researching. Since we’re not researching our autos are huge. It’s a terrible cycle. I can’t be the only one who inherited this kind of broken process.

Sounds like you don't understand the process

Yes! My day will start with Greenfield to see how large our truck is so that I can plan accordingly. But if I’m constantly rolling not all of the times provided will be accurate since it’s adding on to yesterday’s truck. Our leadership team has gone through and counted each case on a boat, multiplied that by 5 and then write the Team Member’s name who is responsible for it with the goal time that includes push, trash and back stock. We’ve set these expectations after testing them on ourselves so we know it’s realistic it’s just not always realistic to complete a truck without smart huddles or LODs taking a boat themselves in addition to the dry team.
We write the expected time on the boat if it rolls so that we have an idea of how much more time markert or whatever area is needed.

Our leadership team has gone through and counted each case on a boat, multiplied that by 5 and then write the Team Member’s name who is responsible for it with the goal time that includes push, trash and back stock. We’ve set these expectations after testing them on ourselves so we know it’s realistic it’s just not always realistic to complete a truck without smart huddles or LODs taking a boat themselves in addition to the dry team.
Multipled by 5? You do the assignment sheets with 35 - 40 per hour requirement?

We even got a detailed sheet too . I didn’t finish 15 boxes to be precise out of ~170 boxes . I guess it should be fine . I couldn’t stop to take even a deep breathe in between. In between I went 3 times upfront for different calls. Couple of times to get things for guests from backroom . 😰

15 boats?! How many TMs are pushing dry and with how many hours?

We start around 5 am and there is at least 4 tm in the am plus lead to 2 closing tm. This is an all day process for us. The line actually has room for 20 boats plus pallet space. This last xmas was our second using uboats and it was still a mess. Our market has 3 sub departments, dry, frozen/meat, dairy with produce separate. We start at opening and don't stop until close. I am tired. Hour wise, about the same a everyone else and we still get cut.

here's our routine:
6am - 10:45Am = 2 TM (dry) - go backs/uboat push
6am - 1PM = 1 TM (dry) - go backs/uboat push
7AM - 2PM - P.A.
10am - 5pm - 1 TM(Pfresh only)
3pm - 12AM - 1 TM (Pfresh Only)

spend their time wisely. market team is not suppose to go up for cashier backup.

Start dropping manuals , yes it will be big at first if you haven’t done it , but within a week your autos should be minimal and easier to manage

here's our routine:
7AM - 2PM - P.A.

spend their time wisely. market team is not suppose to go up for cashier backup.
So no Autos, eh?

here's our routine:
7AM - 2PM - P.A.

Do you cull?

Cull and Qmos is done by PA. Auto's are being neglected right now. And at the end of the month, our managers ask why no ones pulling when they keep telling us to push push push. my store is pretty backed up. theirs at least 3 trucks to be worked on behind the building. At the end of the month, we pull a lot of expired products that were not pulled, but hey our compost bin fills up (still profit for target). Its a mess TBH.

Cull and Qmos is done by PA. Auto's are being neglected right now. And at the end of the month, our managers ask why no ones pulling when they keep telling us to push push push. my store is pretty backed up. theirs at least 3 trucks to be worked on behind the building. At the end of the month, we pull a lot of expired products that were not pulled, but hey our compost bin fills up (still profit for target). Its a mess TBH.

What days do you get FDC and rdc?

I promise this process can be fixed, same exact thing happened to me when I was moved to market. 7ish months in and we're running smoothly.

Keeping your order consistent is easy if only you do the order, I do the order everyday around 3pm 5days a week. When I'm not there I pre-write it and have the opener scan it in (staple it to their worksheet). If you don't already do the order it might take some time to get it down. I only have issues doing it three days out when I have two days off but my team knows to add to it if we have three or less of something. For "weekly freshness" I swap out all low selling items (apples ea., oranges, grapefruits for us) on my opening days which are non RDC days.

For RDC days I have an opener (6am) who does light cleaning, the cull, pushes produce/ meat/ banana racks, cold autofill, then helps with Uboats until the FDC gets there. My second TM (8am) starts with pulling all autos but only pushes dry, then moves to Uboats for the rest of the shift. I come in for a mid shift and help with Uboats if needed, I tend to push 2-5 depending on the truck size and who my 8am TM is. Sometimes I'll help the opener finish FDC first and move them to Uboats so we can have three people working on them. With my slower TMs I like to push the same Uboat with them to get them to pick up the pace. If its a large FDC and RDC day I've had the closer push the rest of the Uboats instead of doing pog fills and manuals but normally its only 1 or 2 when that happens. So they're still able to closing routines.

Schedule breakdown RDC days;
Opener (pfresh) 6am - 2:30
Opener (dry) 8am - 3:30 or 4:30 (depending on hours)
Mid (TL) 10am - 6
Closer 3:30 - 10:30

Non RDC day;
Opener (TL/ pfresh) 7am - 3:30
Opener (dry) 7am - 2:30 or 3:30
Mid (frozen or dry) 11am - 7
Closer 3:30 - 10:30

Audits are tricky but if you get everyone doing them you'll be in good shape. I have my openers scanning everyday, including myself, in pfresh. That includes any cold products that aren't frozen. I have a dedicated freezer TM scanning 5 days a week, mid shift on non RDC days do all dry, closers do all of market when its been a rough day and no one has had the time. My ETL and I also scan any holes we see, probably not as often as we should but if we walk by it we'll scan it.

Purging, pog fills, and manuals;
I have a dedicated TM for every fill group, I let them pick their own so mine breakdowns like this: Dairy/ PRO1/ GR1, Meat/ GR3, GR2, SNCK/ Candy, BEV1/ BEV2/ LIQR, and Freezer. This way everyone has an area to focus on and they're never coming to me asking what that should be doing in their "free time". Its also great because you know who's doing what and who's not doing much. When I first came to market we started with just manuals, moved to pog fills, then purging. Make sure they're checking ALL dates, capacities, and counts. We found SOO much out of date product in my BR its not even funny, just found four boxes of olive oil from may 2018. A lot of our freezer counts were off too, which would explain the crazy amount of BS. To get all this done I have them doing this any chance we get, non RDC days are the best. Everyone hits their area at least twice a week and closers do it daily, so I try to rotate who closes and mid shifts on non RDC days to accomplish this.

Being a consumables TL is tough but fun, you need to be hands on and really help out your team. Hoped this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back