Market is forgotten?

So, I have been in Market for about 3 years now. I was told by my TL and even my ETL that Market will be “on our own” from now on. We will have a ETL but apparently Market should be “100% self sufficient”. We should be able to handle our workload without help from GM and we should be able to be experts in our department so that when our TL is on vacation we can do everything that needs done without direction from a ETL or TL.

The reason I was told that we are suppose to be on our own is that our department is “not as hard as the others” to learn which I think is BS. When we would have GM help us they would NEVER FIFO product then we would get in trouble for it. I honestly believe it is because our profit margin is not as high as like Home/Donestics.

Is this something others have seen or heard? What’s it like working in your Market? My ETL is the worst and no leaders including our SD will even look at our department when they do their morning and closing walk.

Market should get plenty of hours on its own to complete its workload. Also it doesnt get rolled into gm so that the market team just focuses on market. Its definitely not easier and actually has its own set of standards. They want F+B tms to learn there areas because it takes a lot of work especially in frozen/dairy/produce to keep accurate on hands. In general it is usually a big part of store sales and drives a lot of business to target, some stores more then others depending on surrounding business and areas. They should definitely be focusing more on F+B. There is a reason that there are district level leaders for just F+B, coordinators and director.

Our market team has been an independent entity for a couple of years. The tm's there are accountable for specific areas. They are a "last call" for any back up. There is literally nobody in our store that would say that market is "not as hard as the others". There are more regulations to follow, huge trucks to unload and quickly stock and it is a huge leader in sales at our store, particularly for drive up and pick up. The tm's in Market are highly respected as dedicated, hard workers and considered to be among our best. It is also obvious to all that it takes the right leader to be in F&B. We had a few that did not have the right organization and motivation skills and were not effective. Since we got the right person in place there has not been a single "market unload party" and they come clean nearly every day with high scores and happy guests.

And Welcome to why it was hard to be a TL for Consumables. I argued DAILY that I needed more payroll for everything that needed to be done. I would create routines and my ETL would undermine me by having them do something else but then complain when they were too lazy to create a box less backroom. I felt unsupported until they saw how bad it was and then the blame switch to my TMS to me. I worked fast, hard but that didn't mean shit because my TMs were lazy. I was expected to coach then forgive mess ups because it was hard to hire anyone for Consumables. It was a 2 way street in my failures as a tl.

About 5 years ago “ End to End” in Market basically started Modernization.
And for a hot minute it worked. Mainly cause we had 5-7 TMs in Market (pfresh including) SPLs, Rev, trans. We did it all.

Our market team completes all pog/pricing workload without help from gm. Our market dbo's are also some of the best in the store, but they get no help/support. The only time we had a push party in market was when we lost power and got 27 pallets of c&s. Leadership will also hop in on double truck days to keep market mancafs down, but that's because they want to (they don't have too). On our market tl vacation they split the week up and let high po team members run the dept for the week.

Our market team completes all pog/pricing workload without help from gm. Our market dbo's are also some of the best in the store, but they get no help/support. The only time we had a push party in market was when we lost power and got 27 pallets of c&s. Leadership will also hop in on double truck days to keep market mancafs down, but that's because they want to (they don't have too). On our market tl vacation they split the week up and let high po team members run the dept for the week.
In my store if the consumables TL goes on vacation then we get no leader to check up on us and make sure everything is ok. Double truck while they are gone? Oh well. 3 call offs? Well, work faster.

I am in charge of doing dairy at my store. I only get 5 hour shifts to do two pallets of dairy (sometimes three), OFO’s, all of markets Audits, make meal bags if need be, push milk (if produce TM is not there), AND respond to back up. Do you see my problem here?

In my store if the consumables TL goes on vacation then we get no leader to check up on us and make sure everything is ok. Double truck while they are gone? Oh well. 3 call offs? Well, work faster.

I am in charge of doing dairy at my store. I only get 5 hour shifts to do two pallets of dairy (sometimes three), OFO’s, all of markets Audits, make meal bags if need be, push milk (if produce TM is not there), AND respond to back up. Do you see my problem here?
Nope.

Market’s not bad at all you just need TMs that has great work ethic to get shyt done. I loved working there for half a year until I switch to Backroom and then now Fulfillment. Then whenever the coolers and freezers broke it’s gg donezo KEKW

In my 2+ years, aside from a couple weeks at the height of the pandemic panic shopping, I've never seen GM helping us. Fulfillment does if they're slow and we're behind, but that's very infrequent. If our TL and ETL aren't there there's usually not any problems, we just do our freight, one for ones, and zoning.

We always work alone when our TL is not around . Never went into any huge problems . We know our job and we are already doing everything in market ourselves . When we have huge trucks or double trucks ,we might get some help in the morning to push ,from the inbound .

I'd be interested to know if they are scheduling consumables their alloted hours for the week, or taking payroll away from the work center. If your store isn't taking hours away from the work center, it might be more of a performance issue than anything. I still don't agree with the way they worded your on your own and leadership not willing to support beed be (that doesn't feel good, even if they mean it in a way that you can handle your own). Shame on your tl for allowing that as well, I would be pissed if my etl left style to burn when I was on vacation... I would also give the etl/sd the feedback/perception.

I'd be interested to know if they are scheduling consumables their alloted hours for the week, or taking payroll away from the work center. If your store isn't taking hours away from the work center, it might be more of a performance issue than anything. I still don't agree with the way they worded your on your own and leadership not willing to support beed be (that doesn't feel good, even if they mean it in a way that you can handle your own). Shame on your tl for allowing that as well, I would be pissed if my etl left style to burn when I was on vacation... I would also give the etl/sd the feedback/perception.
We only get around 200 hours of payroll to market a week and we have 11 people in market (including the TL). It’s a very huge problem. It’s not due to performance, they have told me that I’m great and they appreciate me a lot. I applied for a GM TL spot but they said that I am “irreplaceable” so I am not able to be moved. They also said that I dry takes priority over dairy so they can’t give me full shifts, they have to go to dry, produce and OFO’s.

We only get around 200 hours of payroll to market a week and we have 11 people in market (including the TL). It’s a very huge problem. It’s not due to performance, they have told me that I’m great and they appreciate me a lot. I applied for a GM TL spot but they said that I am “irreplaceable” so I am not able to be moved. They also said that I dry takes priority over dairy so they can’t give me full shifts, they have to go to dry, produce and OFO’s.
We get Atleast 2 TMs in pfresh 40hrs and 2 in dry groceries 40hrs , no matter what . Although I work in dry , sometimes I’m asked to help push or do ofos for pfresh .

Are you a very low volume store 200 hours seems ridiculously low, I dont think I've ever seen our our store drop less than 425 hours a week. Are you dropping 200 or are they scheduling you 200(two very didferent things)Just because you are a top performer doesn't mean the rest of your team is pulling their weight. Full transparency the they can't move you bc you are irreplacable is the biggest crock of shit, I think that's a cop out that your leader didn't want to give you some honest feedback as to why you might not be ready. I hate when team leads say that shit, the best thing I have done for my team is tell them why they aren't ready at the moment and give them the tools/resources to impove.

It’s not due to performance, they have told me that I’m great and they appreciate me a lot. I applied for a GM TL spot but they said that I am “irreplaceable” so I am not able to be moved. They also said that I dry takes priority over dairy so they can’t give me full shifts, they have to go to dry, produce and OFO’s.
You sound like a good hardworking dedicated TM. Please take that hardworking dedication to another company that will do more than just
”appreciate” you, one that will give you hours and a chance of promotion, since your current store leadership has told you that they will do neither. Those “you’re irreplaceable“ and “we can’t move you” comments are the death knell to your advancement at Spot. (I had a friend who was denied a promotion at another business and when given those reasons quit on the spot.) I don’t advocate your doing that, but please look around for a job that will give you more than appreciation. Even if it’s genuine, appreciation won’t pay the bills and if they appreciate you all that much they should at least give you more hours somewhere in the store. Just saying. Good luck! 🙂

You sound like a good hardworking dedicated TM. Please take that hardworking dedication to another company that will do more than just
”appreciate” you, one that will give you hours and a chance of promotion, since your current store leadership has told you that they will do neither. Those “you’re irreplaceable“ and “we can’t move you” comments are the death knell to your advancement at Spot. (I had a friend who was denied a promotion at another business and when given those reasons quit on the spot.) I don’t advocate your doing that, but please look around for a job that will give you more than appreciation. Even if it’s genuine, appreciation won’t pay the bills and if they appreciate you all that much they should at least give you more hours somewhere in the store. Just saying. Good luck! 🙂
I had a boss once tell me I was "irreplaceable" so I said you can either replace me when I get promoted, or replace me when I quit. Turns out the boss never thought about it that way and I got the promotion.

Market was the first department to be self-sufficient with modernization. There are times when a GM TM will push some of Market's dry product, like if a Market TM calls off. And they get some help finishing up ad set. Market TMs very rarely help out in other areas, except for Market SFS orders if that gets backed up.
As for it being a hard or easy area? I'd never want to work Market. I have to FIFO plenty enough stuff with OTC. Having to FIFO everything? No thanks.

There's like two guys that work in our Market section that have lasted. The rest, it's like a revolving door. Or they pull people temporarily from other departments.

No one else really lasts long.

Are you a very low volume store 200 hours seems ridiculously low, I dont think I've ever seen our our store drop less than 425 hours a week. Are you dropping 200 or are they scheduling you 200(two very didferent things)Just because you are a top performer doesn't mean the rest of your team is pulling their weight. Full transparency the they can't move you bc you are irreplacable is the biggest crock of shit, I think that's a cop out that your leader didn't want to give you some honest feedback as to why you might not be ready. I hate when team leads say that shit, the best thing I have done for my team is tell them why they aren't ready at the moment and give them the tools/resources to impove.
From what I’m told by my TL is that we are on average, as a team are given 200 hours, some weeks we are given 300 but that’s rare. I want to say our store is pretty high volume but I’m really not sure. We have already done like 1.5-2 million in sales this year just in market but don’t quote me on that. I’ll have to look when I’m in next on Thursday.

I think I work pretty hard, I used to be a grocery manager for a small grocery store chain for about two years then took 2 years off to “find a job I’m passionate about” went straight back to retail. I know people that say they are hard workers and arent, who knows I could be a shitty worker. My TL and SD say I’m very important and I’m needed greatly hence why I can’t make a lateral move which I always thought was bullshit but I dismissed my doubts since this is a billion dollar company.

Back