Archived MARKET NIGHTMARE

Status
Not open for further replies.
advise needed...

Thrown in to a "war zone". I had 1 week of "training at another location for PFRESH. The location does 1/2 what we do. I have on a regular day, me, 5 truck folks and a closer. Truck folks have enough time to do freight, pull batches and purge. When I started they were behind on Rev and POGs by MONTHS. I am still behind. Freezer was packed.
Question is, how do I get FDC done plus Rev and POGS when delegating is not always an option. Though I am told I'm failing if I don't delegate to the 5 truck folks that are only responsible for dry freght

That's the thing...hours. Never enough. On the days I'm off my backup can get all of freight done and dairy. When I come back I play catch up. I'm so frustrated. STL doesn't understand the enormity of market at all. He thinks pfresh can be completed in an hour.

ROUTINES! I am lucky IF I have 5 TMS. CAFS are a priority since it fills the floor. So I'll assign 2 TMS to do CAFs. Then 2 will push FDC. I'd make dairy/meat/produce a priority. Organize your metro racks into sections and train your team to go from the beginning of the aisle to the end. Plus cull, research and zone. Frozen is important but it can sit in the freezer for 6 months and not go bad vs. Dairy that has a short shelf life. Plus- never open a box if your gonna push one item out of a box of 6. Saves you time!!! As a TL, I do push dry or fresh but I do have to manage vendors or do PoGs. Basically I focus on sales. During q4, I've been zoning and filling when my team can't. Each store has their own way of doing things just have to find the routine that works best for your store.

My STL will not let me utilize dry TM for FDC. I am the only FDC. My evening FDC does frozen and completes dairy when I can not.

We have a small pfresh so avg our truck is ~ 200/250 for dairy and ~70/130 produce with 2-3 people totaling 22 hours

My goals and expectations were always autofill tasks is how long it should take to complete *push, fill and backstock* ie. 60 tasks 60 minutes

Trying to stick to a minute per box realistically 2 minutes if quickly rotating or zoning

Flexing top sellers(I know some cringe) for us it’s petfood, Tropicana, shredded cheese.

Keeping specialty milk and eggs Unlocated and purging daily.

Any bulk we receive check if it’s on a new Plano and set aside or set if the location is going is light.

What always killed me was the produce person ordering too much when we receive a truck daily and realistically don’t have someone to purge at night. Order what the shelf can fit plus another half and worst case scenario fluff it out at night.

We got by when I took over after our TL stepped down; problem was being down a body which I could have used for pogs in dry and frozen as well as anything else that needed to get done.

So you have 2-3 in pfresh a day?
Yep. With the right people it can just barely get done. But even still it’s pushing it. For our particular store it’s at a minimum

2-3 daily for dairy and 3-4 for dry market
Plus 1-2 people when frozen comes in three times a week.

Wow...I would be in heaven. How many hours a week are you allotted.. Are you a pfresh or ST Store?

Yep. With the right people it can just barely get done. But even still it’s pushing it. For our particular store it’s at a minimum

2-3 daily for dairy and 3-4 for dry market
Plus 1-2 people when frozen comes in three times a week.
So when do you set Pogs/revisions? Are your TM's fully trained to Tie/Batch/Set/Pull/Push and backstock for your Dry Grocery/Frozen areas? The only areas that are backroom located for us are dry and frozen. Everything else are on metros so produce/meat are pushed everyday and not necessarily set to POG. I'm curious on how the hours are separated and how is the workload completed when Consumables is already a "Beast" in itself.

Last edited:
I am the only one to tie at my store. They all know how to pull and push. I have a few I use to set. I can't even count on 2 hands how many SPL are even correct. I'm told to set what we have the most of. But when a "visit" is coming up, STL want all correct and done in a day...I have very little time to set POGs or Rev. I pull a dry person from truck and have them do one when I can

I am the only one to tie at my store. They all know how to pull and push. I have a few I use to set. I can't even count on 2 hands how many SPL are even correct. I'm told to set what we have the most of. But when a "visit" is coming up, STL want all correct and done in a day...I have very little time to set POGs or Rev. I pull a dry person from truck and have them do one when I can
So if you "Do when you can" your aisles are not tied. I hope you are aware of the system dropping your aisle ties for your POGs when you don't set it the week it is due. Sales planners are not as impactful as full 32' runs of aisles in Market. Wow! Your pull batches will be huuuuge once you do set. We recently went through being 3 weeks behind and our batches were large due to the fact that the system pulled everything it needed to fill the floor although for one of the Revisions it was only changing 4 new items. Good luck to you. So I am assuming you are full Modernization for Market and your Presentation Team is already disolved?

They are tied, just not stripped and set. Today I just did the Pog stripes for lunch meat from June and Rev from October. Took me 2 hours

Market hasn't had a presentation team since I've been there. From what I've been told there used to be a POG team. Not sure why they feel it's not needed. You can see the difference in the entire store, sans softlines...our softlines has a great SRTL and huge TM presence

They are tied, just not stripped and set. Today I just did the Pog stripes for lunch meat from June and Rev from October. Took me 2 hours
Oh, so you're "Fake Tying." Ok. You realize then that because you tie it without fully setting it 100%, corporate thinks you are able to do everything with the minimal hours you have? So in turn they think you are capable of "Doing It All!" When in reality you are not! This is why the rest of us stores that are struggling can't seem to convey to corporate that these new changes aren't necessarily working. Stores that fake tie are not giving corporate the true picture all because you don't want to look bad. You know what?! They need to know the truth! I realize ASANTS but corporate thinks we are. We need to stop masking things because it's screwing with the rest of us who are trying but not succeeding because of "SHIT" like that!
Sorry but Karma is a bitch and she's going to bite someone very hard in the ass!

It's not my choice to fake tie. If I don't, someone else does. I agree with you 100% and to me corporate can't be oblivious to this. There is a "score card" of its not a certain % tied. A couple weeks ago I was off on a Friday...came in and all my shit was tied. Isles were correctly toed but the rest was guessed.

What is your store volume? How many hours are you allocated? How many TMs do you have for Market? It really comes down to routines and writing an effective schedule. You can have 10 TMs all day which is amazing but if they are not scheduled properly based off of workload or have solid routines in place, you will never get ahead. It’s all about balance and working smart. Plan and prioritize your days before jumping into it. I walk with each TM and my Sr. TL as they come in for the day and we talk about what happened yesterday, what we can expect for today and how we will attack the day all while filling in their assignment sheets. I took over Market about 6 months ago and came into a huge mess. Behind on every possible task. No organization. No pride. Nothing. With a little tough love, elbow grease and routines with consistent follow up, my team had put up amazing numbers and a great looking market salesfloor. We constantly get recognized on visits and just recently had our Grocery Director and SVP of F&B come in and say we are one of the cleanest, freshest and sound markets they have seen. Any advice I can offer, let me know. I’ve been where you are.

I'll get back to you on volume. As for hours they have fluctuated the last couple of weeks from 250 - 300. We are getting 8 trucks a week for RDC, 7 FDC. There are 9 of us. On a normal day there are 4 in dry and 2 in Pfresh, me being 1 of the pfresh. The RDC team comes in at 630, Pfresh comes in at 8 and 4. Dry comes in and works OOS batches scans outs. Zone fill push freight. Backstock and purge if time. They are given tasks to complete if they have any time left. There are days it's tough, when only 2 are in dry.
I spend 1st hour going through email and talking with TM about the day. Make adjustments to assignment sheets if needed. The on to pfresh which takes 2-3 hours. By this time I'm seeing how far dry has gotten in the day. Here lately theres been out of the ordinary stuff happening to ruin a good day. I try to get dairy pallet ready for the next guy. I work on purging dairy cooler. On frozen days I have someine there that that's all they do is frozen then purge frozen.
We are getting better, getting caught up on some things. I have a couple people that won't make it after the holidays if they don't pick it up. My pfresh backup will be changed soon. That has been one of my roadblocks, having to come in behind him after being off and finishing his job. My hands have been tied as far as PD's but not after this week.
I've been wanting the chance to be able to come in and work on things a little at a time, that has yet to happen.
I welcome advice and will be reaching out. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back