COVID-19 Masks and gloves

93956784_1693398834146482_7269215492596826112_o.jpg
Ok they must have meant banDanas, right?

I did the math Target has only supplied us with enough masks for 30 days. The SD update says you can't get more unless corporate approves of it. I see this going well if it keeps going past May

I went ahead and ordered my own washable, reusable masks to wear while at work. I can get over wearing a mask while working but the wastefulness of all those disposable ones is harder to swallow.

If you can sew a button back on you can sew one of these. I hand stitched two for my daughter, and my ability to sew is limited to fixing hems. Hairbands can be used for ear elastic, but I used a shoelace across the back of the head instead. I cut the stem of a fake flower I found in the Christmas ornament box to form a nose piece but the pattern allows that to be skipped. I skipped the lining since I want my daughter to be able to breathe and not spend her entire shift gasping for air.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

My attempt at sewing. My daughter and I got a laugh over how the nose area looks like a pouch for something far more south, but it does fit right.

1587864659816.png 1587864640688.png

If you can sew a button back on you can sew one of these. I hand stitched two for my daughter, and my ability to sew is limited to fixing hems. Hairbands can be used for ear elastic, but I used a shoelace across the back of the head instead. I cut the stem of a fake flower I found in the Christmas ornament box to form a nose piece but the pattern allows that to be skipped. I skipped the lining since I want my daughter to be able to breathe and not spend her entire shift gasping for air.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

My attempt at sewing. My daughter and I got a laugh over how the nose area looks like a pouch for something far more south, but it does fit right.

View attachment 10239View attachment 10238
Pretty damn clever, Tessa!
Especially using the shoelace; a tie is a lot more adjustable than elastic.
Esp love the pirate print :D

I sewed a couple with ties, as I know my precious princess ears won't tolerate the elastics, from a tutorial someone posted on Facebook. I'm going to make a few more so I don't have to wash them as often.

I don't know the proper name of the fastener thingy, I'll look it up when I'm on the computer. But it holds strings tight, I've seen it on jacket hoods, I got this one from the broken elastic on my daughter's lunchbox. I put that halfway on the shoelace, fed the ends bottom to top on the mask, then back through the thingy crosswise. When it dries I'll get a picture. A little complicated to tighten, but very easy to loosen, and firmly in place all day, no risk of loose knots.

Edit: And since it's not sewn in, just threaded through, you can easily swap masks, such as if your breath makes the first one uncomfortably damp halfway through the day.

Teddy's ears are a little high, and I don't know what happened to his right eye. But this is the fastening I made for the mask. When it tightens, the upper strings pull tight.

I used one of these, that I found in the house.
1587919677638.png

The cord lock fits at the base of the skull.

1587919730679.png 1587919777620.png

Long hair makes it a little fussy getting on, putting up the hair in a ponytail long enough to get it on works very well. It loosens wonderfully easy, even with long hair, you just grab the cord lock, push the button and pull.

If you want to swap masks on the go, like at lunch, just pull the shoelace ends out of the cord lock entirely, pull the ends out of the mask but leave the cord lock centered on the string. Then thread the ends into the new mask (bottom to top) and then put the ends in the cord lock crosswise. Taking a Ziploc bag to put the dirty mask in until you can dump it in the washer would be good. I use lingerie bag for washing them just because of the wire, but they could probably be put in a pillowcase or even in the washer directly.

And yes, I still hate masks. My daughter needs a job though.

Is your store not providing masks to TMs??? My understanding is that companywide, all Target facilities are equipped with masks for all of the TMs on duty. If your store isn't providing TM masks, this might be a rare time that I'd call the integrity hotline.
My store didn't until just earlier this week.

"For example, in Hong Kong, only four confirmed deaths due to COVID-19 have been recorded since the beginning of the pandemic, despite high density, mass transportation, and proximity to Wuhan. "

They're terrible. I never touch my face (I'm a freak about making sure I don't even when this Coronavirus wasn't happening) and yesterday when I had that mask on I touched my face constantly to adjust the HUGE mask, or when it broke, or because when I was stocking shelves it kept shifting to the underside of my eyes (!!!!).
I saw TM twist the elastic before putting it over their ears to make the mask fit better. Since your mask is too big, try it out.

There are lightweight white masks available. The thicker masks with white and blue are really hard to breath in if you are pushing freight or taking out drive ups.

Posting this here, as it looks like it was only in chat. Some folks recommended these masks as being cooler than other masks. I ordered a pack and they're due to arrive on Friday, but I'll try anything at this point. They say 1 time use, but I'm betting they could be hand-washed with a bit of soap for a few uses before they wear out. I'll post a review when I get them.

I currently wear a hand-made 2-layer cotton mask with ties. I have a tiny head and sensitive skin, so I haven't used the Target-issued masks yet.

I saw TM twist the elastic before putting it over their ears to make the mask fit better. Since your mask is too big, try it out.

There are lightweight white masks available. The thicker masks with white and blue are really hard to breath in if you are pushing freight or taking out drive ups.

Thank you! I will definitely try that. They seem to be even bigger now so idk if we got down to only big sizes? All we have ever had in the tote are the blue =( but when it first started they were smaller than they are now. They go way under my chin and reach all the way up to right under my eyes. I've been on the hunt for something else to use lol

Thank you! I will definitely try that. They seem to be even bigger now so idk if we got down to only big sizes? All we have ever had in the tote are the blue =( but when it first started they were smaller than they are now. They go way under my chin and reach all the way up to right under my eyes. I've been on the hunt for something else to use lol

I hadn't thought to twist the elastic either. I've been taping the top of the mask to my cheek bones to keep it from creeping into my eyes. I'll be trying the twisting method tonight!

Posting this here, as it looks like it was only in chat. Some folks recommended these masks as being cooler than other masks. I ordered a pack and they're due to arrive on Friday, but I'll try anything at this point. They say 1 time use, but I'm betting they could be hand-washed with a bit of soap for a few uses before they wear out. I'll post a review when I get them.

I currently wear a hand-made 2-layer cotton mask with ties. I have a tiny head and sensitive skin, so I haven't used the Target-issued masks yet.

I was given one of these at my store. I was told I had to wash it and reuse it. It is pretty flimsy, but it is more comfortable. It would certainly keep a bug from flying in your mouth, but I don't know what it would do as far as germs. Corona #s are high in my area. I will stick to the surgical as long as possible.

The reviews of those masks, say they were really bad.

I’ve had several TMs at my store paperclip the elastic bands together behind their head, mostly just to keep their ears from being aggravated.

We’ve also learned if we bend the top band under and then form it over our nose/cheeks it helps keep the mask out of our eyes and glasses don’t steam up (as quickly anyways).

a simple method to prevent fogging, suggesting that, just before wearing a face mask, people wash their glasses with soapy water, shake off the excess and then allow the lenses to air-dry.

Washing the glasses with soapy water leaves behind a thin surfactant film that reduces this surface tension and causes the water molecules to spread out evenly into a transparent layer. This ‘surfactant effect’ is widely utilized to prevent misting of surfaces in many everyday situations.” Antifogging solutions used for scuba masks or ski goggles also accomplish this.

Back