Archived Meal Compliance - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super

I can haz pda?
I have a question about MC and state law says "if you work so and so hours you get a 15 minute paid break and 45 minute un-paid break (for dayside TM's) in the handbook and my ETL saw one of my start meal times as I was going over my punches about 4 minutes before my meal time. She told me that is too close to meal time and they worry about being that close and would like that I come back at least 30-45 minutes before the 5th hour

I have read the handbook back to back and it says something about the workclock will not let you clock in early to meal breaks...so confused and I know this post probably shows it

I really don't want to be given a verbal warning for doing something wrong but it seems nothing explains it clearly

Thanks

What she was trying to say was that you were cutting it too close to the time that you needed to go on break (5 hours in some states, 6 in others)
If you had gone over that that time you would have been in compliance and there would have been problems (too many of those and you can be fired).
What they mean by not letting you clock out is that the time clock will not let you clock back in after you have clocked out for break.
State laws vary but Spot takes the toughest of them and applies it across the country as a way of avoiding hassles all way round.

Thanks!

So for example..One has a shift at 12pm to 5pm and you get your 15 minute break but when it comes around for your 45 minute unpaid meal break you should clock out no later then 4:45pm? So the time clock will allow to you clock out for meal breaks early but not clock back in early? (She told me that to tell the GSTL about getting off early so I wouldn't get too close and to mention "Compliance" and she would then let me off

This is similar to what happened earlier on Sunday because the GSTL told me to go take my lunch break but it was around 10 minutes before the 5th hour and I was confused walking to the break room because my shift ended on the 5th hour anyways...so how would I take a 45 minute break? I thought since I mistakenly pushed "End work" instead of "Start Meal" that I would have been in compliance but she assured me after looking at my punch ins that I was okay

Sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
Yea, if they have a five hour compliance situation I'm surprised they wouldn't schedule your break in the middle of the shift or only schedule you for 4.5 hours.
If they wanted you to work longer that would be one thing but it sounds like they are doing a very poor job of scheduling breaks.

Yeah

Apparently there is a list on the schedules board to show the "Break Schedule" and I couldn't really look at that because I'm not on it apparently even though it's my 3rd day working but I'm on next weeks schedule..lol

The time clock will not let you clock in excessively early.

There have been times where I was told to go on my lunch within an 1hr starting my shift because they needed to get lunches out of the way if closing was bad.

Wow, a 45 minute unpaid lunchtime? I'd love to have that much time.

With our time clock when you punch out at 3:36:28 you can't punch back in until 4:06:28. If you try to punch in early the time clock beeps quite loudly....so anyone nearby can hear if you're trying to clock in early.

Wow, a 45 minute unpaid lunchtime? I'd love to have that much time.

With our time clock when you punch out at 3:36:28 you can't punch back in until 4:06:28. If you try to punch in early the time clock beeps quite loudly....so anyone nearby can hear if you're trying to clock in early.

We get 45-minute lunches in New York, but we have to punch out for 46 minutes. Our timeclock doesn't count seconds. However, we have to take lunches before we hit 6 hours. I wish we were a 5-hour state - 5.75-hour cashing shifts are the worst!

Most state laws require a 30 minute lunch, but Target requires a 15 minute buffer (45 min lunch) to ensure they are always complying with labor laws.

Yeah our time clock also doesn't count seconds either and has anyone ever used their ID card to punch in and out? lol

In CA if you're gonna have a 5 hour shift you get a 15 minute paid break and then a 45 minute lunch break for Dayside TM's and only 30 minutes if you are nightside

and has anyone ever used their ID card to punch in and out? lol

We don't have ID cards like that at my store, just a regular nametag with a pin or magnet back. The only time I've ever seen anyone with an ID card was when a TM transferred to my store a couple years ago (he used it as a discount card too). Our timeclock has the slot for swiping ID cards, but we obviously don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back