Archived Medical Marijuana Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMNDZ bruhh

Former Backroom Dayside
so i have a card, and i dont really know the california state laws that apply to it and the work place, can someone enlighten me?

lets say i need to get drug tested for WHATEVER REASON ( not saying i am getting drug tested) will i be safe since i have it? or what? should i let target know that i have it and why i have it?

i know to NEVER go to work high, and stuff like that.

***ANYONE WHO IS HR PLEASE HELP***

Last edited:
It's up to the company. If you get drug tested by Target and it comes out positive, then you will most likely be terminated.

Even though its "legal" with the card it is still illegal according to federal law. Don't you notice all the pot shops and pharmacies getting shut down by the Feds in ca? It will probably not get you out of trouble if you get tested at target. I've only seen people get drug tested when they have had a work related accident.

Even though its "legal" with the card it is still illegal according to federal law. Don't you notice all the pot shops and pharmacies getting shut down by the Feds in ca? It will probably not get you out of trouble if you get tested at target. I've only seen people get drug tested when they have had a work related accident.

yea ive noticed, i live in the los angeles county area and alot of them are going down now.

ive only heard they will drug test you if you get in a work related accident, and they have suspicion that you are under the influence, luckily im not stupid enough to go in high, or be reckless at work... but im just being cautious about it, another person told me as long as you have the card, they cant do anything...but idk if

that is true or not, idk if they need to be informed about it first or what?i dont want to be a retard and go in and say "hey, i smoke weed and i have the card is that cool?"

so i have a card, and i dont really know the california state laws that apply to it and the work place, can someone enlighten me?

lets say i need to get drug tested for WHATEVER REASON ( not saying i am getting drug tested) will i be safe since i have it? or what? should i let target know that i have it and why i have it?

This is the same thing as the people who say "The first amendment says I can say whatever I want!!!" on an internet message board run by some random guy.

Government says you have free speech. That means government doesn't come after you for it. California says you can have weed, that means California won't come after you for it. (feds are a different story)

Problem is, Target is not the government. They are a private employer and can make whatever drug rules they want. Right now, smoking weed is a major violation of company policy. Doesn't matter if it is legal in your state. It is also legal in your state to stand around with a giant sign saying "I hate <insert race here>!". Doesn't mean Target won't fire you for it. Same for weed.

My advice? Do what you want, but be smart about it. Just be aware if you ever get tested at work, it is game over for your job.... so play it smart, and don't do anything that causes them to want to test you.

This is the same thing as the people who say "The first amendment says I can say whatever I want!!!" on an internet message board run by some random guy.

Government says you have free speech. That means government doesn't come after you for it. California says you can have weed, that means California won't come after you for it. (feds are a different story)

Problem is, Target is not the government. They are a private employer and can make whatever drug rules they want. Right now, smoking weed is a major violation of company policy. Doesn't matter if it is legal in your state. It is also legal in your state to stand around with a giant sign saying "I hate <insert race here>!". Doesn't mean Target won't fire you for it. Same for weed.

My advice? Do what you want, but be smart about it. Just be aware if you ever get tested at work, it is game over for your job.... so play it smart, and don't do anything that causes them to want to test you.

Good point, weed is looked down upon, just because its legal for medical use in the states eyes dosent meen it is for target... I will be careful when it comes to that, ive always have been.

The funny thing is, we have a backroom TM who would come in cranked the f**k up on speed all the time! He would pull the cafs in like 10 minutes and run to food ave and down a large cup of water all crazy, and he would be sweating like he had just unloaded the trailer by himself, he even told me he was under the influence... And he never got caught! No ETL said anything to him or did anything! And the signs are so obvious, if that guy can get away with stuff like that, than so can i, and im already extra careful and dont show up to work like that.

As long as you don't give them reason to test you this is never going to be an issue.

The states where pot is legal will make the whole issue kind of interesting.
You show up smelling like smoke from the night before.
They test you, it comes up and everyone goes to court.
Should be interesting.

Even with the card, it's not going to help you if you test positive on a UA. That goes for pretty much any company.

Unless you are one of the folks getting your MMJ directly from the federal government (Google Irvin Rosenfield), that card (I have one too, but I quit when I started working for Spot) isn't going to get you very far. I did some very thorough research a few years back and the courts in CA will almost always side with the employer in regards to MMJ.

I wonder what the policies are going to be in Colorado and Washington, where it is becoming legal.

I'm curious if the situation/outcome would be the same if the OP was on say a regulated prescription pain medication that would also show up as positive on a drug screening.

Unless you are one of the folks getting your MMJ directly from the federal government (Google Irvin Rosenfield), that card (I have one too, but I quit when I started working for Spot) isn't going to get you very far. I did some very thorough research a few years back and the courts in CA will almost always side with the employer in regards to MMJ.

I wonder what the policies are going to be in Colorado and Washington, where it is becoming legal.
from what I read when they legalized it, it was up to the employer to decide if they would hire with a positive test

no direction looks good if that happens... either way i will just have to be extra safe and not mix my personal life and work together.

Just don't get in any accidents ;) you might get a random UA if you do.

If you are using it and an accident happens then you have to get a drug test.

When you get drug tested then bring the card, a copy of the card, and a doctors note for why you are taking it. Do not let Target know but rather the drug test company because they have to operate under a different set of rules for these kinds of things.

I know it works on Schedule II drugs at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back