Archived Merchandise Return Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve had this question for the longest time and haven’t really gotten a concrete answer from my GSTLs but what is the point of these?

It’s supposed to help us with fraud but how? You can still cash them out so theyre just different colored gift cards that can’t be reloaded. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

In my state we can't cash them out.. they are given when the guest either returns though their id or a gift receipt. You can't use them online so they are only for store use, and apparently for AP much easier to track. In my state I can see why we use them but yea the whole cash out part defeats the purpose

I have no idea but I’m sure Jaymes a Clark does

Ask this guy
696x696.jpg

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/loca...Target-gift-cards-12253689.php#photo-14287518

you can't sell them online because you need the physical card to redeem.

also in theory we can ask for ID if they were given during a no receipt return but i have absolutely no clue how that would happen in practice (how do we know the ID is the right person, how do we know it was a no receipt return and not gift receipt, etc)

Last edited:
The can only be used in store so it slows down scams. I know we had a big issue with the promo gift cards being compromised. Basically a "guest" will use the card that has $5 on it. Then refuse to take it back after it being empty. If a cashier uses that gift card for another guest (say they got a promo) it'll alert the original "guest" who has it on his/her phone that it was reloaded.

That person then spends it using it on the phone. The guest who got the promo now has an empty gift card.

The can only be used in store so it slows down scams. I know we had a big issue with the promo gift cards being compromised. Basically a "guest" will use the card that has $5 on it. Then refuse to take it back after it being empty. If a cashier uses that gift card for another guest (say they got a promo) it'll alert the original "guest" who has it on his/her phone that it was reloaded.

That person then spends it using it on the phone. The guest who got the promo now has an empty gift card.
What cashier is reusing gift cards? We put used ones in a drawer then throw them out. Plus in order to add it to your phone the balance thingy has to be scratched off and if any cashier is giving out GCs that have that scratched off they need to be retrained.

If the balance thing is scratched off, I always trash it, but at my store we’re told to reuse the giftcards. I find it very odd and usually just throw it out anyway, but I’ve been corrected by multiple people (regular TMs, service desk TMs, and GSAs/ GSTLs) saying we can reuse them if they look good and new.

So I’ve had this question for the longest time and haven’t really gotten a concrete answer from my GSTLs but what is the point of these?

It’s supposed to help us with fraud but how? You can still cash them out so theyre just different colored gift cards that can’t be reloaded. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

I thought only GSTL/GSA/LOD could cash out gift cards otherwise TM would do more fraudulent GC transactions. If you cash anything with a large balance AP will investigate.

I still think its wrong that gift receipt returns get a merch. Card. We had a guest bitch out everyone with power over that.

I was also instructed to reuse the promo gift cards as long as the scratch-off was intact and the card doesn't look used. Combination of reducing the amount of trash we're creating and reducing the amount of promo cards we need to reorder because apparently we've been having issues getting replenishments at times.

I had no idea we could cash out any gift cards.

A lot of stores allow you to reuse them. Scammers have been clever in finding ways to hide the scratched off area. It was a huge problem that corporate sent emails about. Every ETL-AP was instructed to give down communication that gift cards should be tossed after use.

Merchandise return cards cannot be used online, which prevents people from selling the code.

A lot of stores allow you to reuse them. Scammers have been clever in finding ways to hide the scratched off area. It was a huge problem that corporate sent emails about. Every ETL-AP was instructed to give down communication that gift cards should be tossed after use.
I haven't heard that. Which probably means that my GSTL told everyone who was working on the day she got the notification, made sure the closing GSA did the same, but forgot about everyone who didn't work that particular day. Just one more reason that I dislike the fact that we don't have cashier/GS huddles. We miss out on so much information if we don't work every day.

Soo I know the system allows us to cash these out if they’re under $10, but are we technically allowed to? Or is this ASANTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back