Archived Moving from Backroom TM to PMT (formerly SFT): What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorWho

SFT/PMT/PML Trainer
Well, after about 10 years as a backroom TM (with various other roles here and there) I had pretty much decided that in the next few months, if I did not find a leadership role here that suited me that I would be moving on to other opportunities. I have grown bored of coming in and doing the exact same routine every single day and I need a change, and a challenge. I get up at around 2:45 every morning, and my wife gets home from work around 7PM most days, so I see her for about 2 hours before I'm off to bed, so that's getting old. I really don't see the point of switching to dayside and losing my shift differential, having to work closing shifts, and still doing essentially the same routine I do now: Wake up -> Go to work -> Autofills -> BR Audit -> BR SDA -> Bulk truck backstock by myself -> Eat -> Sleep -> Repeat.

My background:

I am a strong TM in my backroom and I am the person that EVERYONE goes to when they need something in the backroom, even if my TL or ETL are there in most cases. I have been told more than a few times over the years by the leadership in my building that I should be a TL, especially a BRTL. I have always brushed it off because I have other commitments in my life. Believe me, nothing would please me more than taking charge of my backroom, as our current BRTL hasn't really picked it up very well since she started. That was almost 2 years ago! Unfortunately, weekends are not really an option for me, anyway.

Rewind to 2-3 years ago:

I had recently been screwed over by my previous BRTL before her departure, with a very unfavorable merit review. Even a few ETLs that I showed it to said it was extremely unfair/inconsistent, but I never challenged it because I did not want to push the issue too much with my current ETL-LOG or ETL-HR who were close friends. They were both fired about a year later for doing shady things with hours on the schedules (go figure) but at the time I was afraid to see my hours get cut to almost nothing if I pushed it too much, so I let it go. I think my TL felt her job was at risk while I was there, because I was clearly more qualified than she was and just about everybody in the building knew it. Of course, after she straight up quit, I was picking up all of the slack in the backroom while they searched for her replacement. I declined applying for BRTL when she left for reasons already stated above.

Now, I'm a very handy person and the last 4 SFTs that I have worked with in my store quickly realized this. I always became their go-to person when they needed an extra set of hands (or a brain) for a project. Because of this, my STL and DFM (I think that was his role, it was our SFT's direct supervisor about 2-3 years ago) approached me at one point and asked if I would be interested in an SFT position. My STL had identified me as valuable talent within the store that was not being utilized. (I thought this was hilarious at the time considering my "Unsatisfactory" review I had received not 3 months prior.) I was interested, so I met with both of them about pursuing this, and the main questions I had were inquiring about the pay scale and what store I would wind up at. At the time I still felt very underpaid as a BRTM, was a little resentful about my last merit review, and I was not about to take on even more responsibility for only $1-2 more per hour. I also had no idea what store I would end up at, and with stores stretched pretty far apart in my district, not knowing either of those two factors made me a little hesitant to apply. The last thing I wanted was to wind up making even less due to a lengthy commute. They were both very vague about the whole thing, and I never heard anything else about it after that. Perhaps I should have pushed a bit more, but I had other things going on in my personal life that were much more important at the time.

Fast forward about a year later:

I FINALLY moved permanently to early morning backroom (4AM process, my BRTL had denied my multiple requests to work this shift despite clearly needing more people) and my BR team had recently lost several valuable dayside TMs (mainly because of my previous BRTL and her very unfair treatment and sheer disrespect of certain TMs such as myself.) While in between BRTLs, an ETL-LOG, and ETL-HR, the remaining ETLs and TLs in the building made some questionable hiring choices for dayside backroom, and training was NOT going smoothly. As the primary backroom team trainer I was quickly growing frustrated, and was relieved when the most promising backroom TM that I had trained in several years actually stuck around after the holiday season. Then one day he tells me that he's going to be training as an SFT in a few weeks. Apparently my STL and DFM had approached him after I had let it go, ha ha. Then barely a month after that, our current SFT is gone (pretty sure he was fired) and my talented BRTM is suddenly the SFT at my store. I have been kicking myself ever since!!

Present day:

That former BRTM is still our SFT and I feel that he has really taken on the role as well as anybody could, especially with all new leadership in our building and our district.

A friend was recently hired as an SFT at another store in my district, so I have been rethinking the SFT position for the past few weeks. Then as I'm helping my SFT with a project the other day, he suddenly asks me if I would ever reconsider moving into the SFT role. He knows the whole story that I just told, and we've shared a few laughs over him "stealing my promotion" (as he jokingly puts it) He feels I would be a good candidate and he eventually lets on that he is likely leaving his position here at our store for something else in a few months, which means I might have a rare opportunity to snag the SFT role at MY store that I never should have passed up. That would eliminate one of my primary concerns (the commute), which leaves the other: I didn't feel comfortable asking him about the pay, but what increase should I expect going from BRTM to SFT?

I mentioned to my ETL-LOG that I am interested in applying, and she didn't speak much on the subject. I know she really respects me as a BRTM as I am one of the only TMs that she doesn't micromanage. She would be my direct supervisor if I took over the SFT role in our store, and I'm sure that while she probably can't afford to lose me from the 4 AM backroom team, she knows that I work well independently and would make a good candidate for SFT. She is growing frustrated with our "new" BRTL but I have made it very clear that I am not interested in that position unless it's a Monday-Friday job, and we all know that's not going to happen, ha ha!

I also spoke to my ETL-HR about applying and he seemed enthusiastic about it, asking me what store I'd prefer, and hinting that I should speak with our SFT, before I told him that I already knew about the situation, ha ha. So is there anything else I should do? I'm planning to apply for the position on eHR tomorrow, and I will select my current store as my preferred store, so I've got that covered. I have never felt that I interview very well, and I am pretty out of practice since I've settled in at Target for the last decade or so. Naturally, I am concerned that the interview process will screw up my chances to show them how awesome of an SFT I could be. Any advice in that area?

I did't mean for this to be such a long post, but thank you if you read the whole thing. I am very excited and very nervous at the same time. This could be my chance to contribute to the team while once again doing something that I enjoy. I could possibly take this experience elsewhere one day if I should decide to leave Spot for a job outside of retail, and how many workcenters at Target can say that?

Any advice or input from anyone here would be very appreciated. I am especially interested in hearing from current or previous SFTs about your transition into the role (especially if you were promoted from TM to SFT.)

Thanks!

Apply for it.

I'll be applying tomorrow, and I might even get to work early for a change, ha ha. Maybe 3:30 instead of 4 AM. I'm suddenly motivated again...

Also, I just found the SFT Guide that answered quite a few of my questions about the routines. GTC to @SFTOnThree for being thorough!

Now I just need to make sure to nail those silly interview questions. What can I expect as far as SFT interviews go? I imagine they're a little more specific to the job than a standard TL interview process. And will I have to wait for another background check, drug testing, etc.? Or is that strictly for new hires? Can't wait to get started with this!

Last edited:
My SFT interview came straight from the standard TL interview packets. I'm pretty sure pay grade is the same as SR TL.

My SFT interview came straight from the standard TL interview packets. I'm pretty sure pay grade is the same as SR TL.

So I'm currently at N07 as a backroom team member, which I'm sure is the same as presentation at my store because I almost switched to plano a couple of years ago. Isn't a SrTL N17? I didn't realize the SFT position was that high! I figured if a sales floor TL is N11, the SFT would be N13 or maybe N15. Can anyone verify this for certain? I understand they can vary from org chart to org chart. I'll try to find out for certain if my ETL-HR is in today.

Now that I think of it....

It's around the same starting pay as senior TL but the actual pay grade for it is something else (Doesn't start with "N").

We recently lost and filled our SFT position.. It was listed as an R07. I always thought SFT pay was comparable to base TL so if it's more comparable to senior, I'll really be kicking myself for not going for it.

Our SFT said he started in the $16 range about 8 years ago with little experience. That's definitely above base TL pay in my area.

I just talked to a SrTL that is a close friend of mine and a former HRTM. She confirmed that it's N17 for our district, comparable to SrTL. I am really stoked now!

I also spoke with my SFT again and he said that even with only a year of backroom TM experience and no other relevant qualifications, his interviews felt like just a formality. Our DFM is really great and loves to promote from within the store to make the transition much smoother. He's already telling the DFM how great I would be and that there isn't a better candidate in the store, so I guess I've pretty much got this. Awesome.

Oh, and could somebody clarify something about paygrades?

These are just numbers, but making sure I have the concept down for promotions:

BRTM, N07 starting wage: $8/hr
My current BRTM wage at N07 after 8 years: $11/hr

SFT, N17 starting wage: $16/hr

In this scenario would I expect my pay as an SFT to be $19/hr, the base pay of $16/hr, or somewhere in between?

I think average would be around 17. Range is anywhere between 15 and 20 something based on experience. I know in my area you don't get hired without previous experience in maintenance. I wished I worked in some of your guys areas. SFT is a pretty sweet job to have in the store.

Expect a lot of shoulder tapping to fix everyone else's mess ups first. Only the good people put in an actual work order, the rest expect you to be there for them right when they need you.

Sft is SrTl pay + experience. A long time TL moved to sft last year and he makes a pretty good pay check every month now.

I think average would be around 17. Range is anywhere between 15 and 20 something based on experience. I know in my area you don't get hired without previous experience in maintenance. I wished I worked in some of your guys areas. SFT is a pretty sweet job to have in the store.

Yeah, that's the best part of this whole deal for me. I have relevant experience with many of the things I would be doing on a daily basis, just not paid work experience or anything in a commercial environment. My wife and I are renovating a 200+ year old historic home and doing everything ourselves. I've picked up enough skills in the last 10 years that I've done lots of various side work for family and friends, so I'm not new to most of the actual work I'd be doing.

So while I don't have the type of experience that would generally be considered necessary for a job that required it, my personal experience will help me do my job well, and I am very glad they are more flexible with that in my case. The leadership/Vibe aspect will be the area I will need to focus most to be successful in my new role.

Expect a lot of shoulder tapping to fix everyone else's mess ups first. Only the good people put in an actual work order, the rest expect you to be there for them right when they need you.

This is one of the biggest reasons that I am thrilled to be getting my current store when this happens. Our current SFT and leadership team have really driven a culture where almost every TM and leader knows how to correctly submit work orders. For the most part they are great at understanding the difference between an emergency that would require the SFT's immediate attention vs. a simple work order submission. Just like @SFTOnThree wrote in the SFT guide: I agree that there are basically 5 circumstances that warrant calling the SFT right away, and we currently have less than 10 in my building. I plan to continue to drive that culture at my store when I take over, and get that list down to the bare minimum that will be one of my goals right from the start.

What 'shady things' were your ETL HR and Log doing to warrant them getting fired? And an SFT is equilvant to SR TL Key Carrier. It's a big promotion.

Our ETL-Log was a former ETL-HR that transferred to our store and was absolutely horrible in Logistics. He was always arriving late to let the 4AM team in the building, and tried covering it up with CAs for their attendance issues that were a direct result of his lateness. 4th quarter planning was a major screwup, and the Log was eventually dismissed after a large number of complaints from the team about favoritism with scheduling, i.e. constantly giving certain flow and 4 AM backroom TMs 35-40 hours and refusing to allow CAs for those same TMs for attendance issues, while they abused the system by constantly calling out of work. Meanwhile the other half of the teams were lucky to have 16 hours per week and were growing tired of being called in almost every scheduled day off because of callouts, and then harassed on the phone if they called out even once, or if they couldn't pick up a shift from one of the callouts from the Log's "favorites" (when they should have just been scheduled to work in the first place.)

Those same "favorites" were always asked to stay right up to their 40 hour marks, even if they were scheduled 35, while other hard-working TMs were kicked out the door if they hit 16.5 hours on a 16 hour schedule the same day and were willing to stay longer to avoid rolling the truck to the next day.

There were also some shady things done with schedule edits to quite a few TMs that spoke up about it (including myself) that led to unfair CAs.

There was clear discrimination between the TMs in each category (think race, age, gender here...:oops: ) that I won't get into details about.

The ETL-HR was a close friend of the Log and let it go on despite the complaints. It got ugly after a massive number of hotline calls, and I believe the HR resigned after the long meeting with our STL, DTL and HRBP that led to the ETL-Log's dismissal. I'm guessing she was facing a possible termination as well because she came in really early the next day and just packed up and left her keys with the ETL-AP.

There were a few other parts to this story that I'm not going to get into. It was a crappy year that we'd all like to forget.

Update:

I just spoke with my STL about my plans and she was super happy when I told her. I thought she was going to hug me! LOL. So I have now spoken with my BRTL, ETL-Log, ETL-HR, and my STL. Everybody is on board, so I just have to wait at this point. I can't apply yet because the position won't be available to fill until my current SFT gets his transfer to another state approved. As soon as that happens, they will open the position up for hiring and I can actually select my store during the application process.

And my STL pretty much confirmed that the interviews are a formality in my case. It sounds like the job is basically mine for the taking. She said that even if some super awesome SFT from another store tried to transfer, she would much rather have me instead because she is very confident in my abilities and also because I am so familiar with the store and the team here. She said that our DFM would feel the same way.

I am honestly very humbled by this whole thing. I knew my leadership loved me, but I always felt like I was sort of letting them all down and a waste of talent because I didn't want to be a TL. Now I'm finding out what they really think of my abilities, and any doubt I had about this transition is pretty much gone at this point!

Can I make the very strong suggestion that since your current SFT is transferring away you make damned sure they give you proper training.
That should involve sending you to another store or having an SFT come to your store and work with you on a regular basis.
Don't let them give you the cock and bull of "Oh, we trust you to pick it up as you go." or "The one week the SFT worked with you before he left will be fine."
Fight for as much training as you can get.

Congrats if you get the position. You should see around a $4 raise. You will get 1 month of training, although the first week will be a lot of online training modules. Don't expect to learn everything at once and there are lots of resources available to you. Check out the Target Wiki site on Workbench. It is full of manuals and instructions for different things around the store.

Make sure that you apply for the job when the sft tells you that the transfer papers have been submitted.

Yes, I did. I checked it every day before leaving for work to see if the SFT position was open at our store. After a few weeks of checking, it finally went through and I submitted my application at the very end of December. He told me the very next morning when he came in. We're both very eager to move this along!

Can I make the very strong suggestion that since your current SFT is transferring away you make damned sure they give you proper training.
That should involve sending you to another store or having an SFT come to your store and work with you on a regular basis.
Don't let them give you the cock and bull of "Oh, we trust you to pick it up as you go." or "The one week the SFT worked with you before he left will be fine."
Fight for as much training as you can get.

I couldn't agree more!! I have seen too many missed training opportunities over the years due to this exact same scenario. When our current SFT made this move a few years ago he had a great training experience, and he actually gave me the same advice the other day. He wants to make sure that I get properly trained, and after having a few SBS over the years (remember when it was Building Services?) that were pretty worthless, he has done a fantastic job to make up for that. He built quite a legacy here and I know he is going to miss it a lot. He wants to make sure that I continue to take care of his building, and my STL is adamant about making sure that I train a great deal with him so that I become familiar with the intimate little details of our store, but I will also be doing some of my training elsewhere. Thankfully, I don't get the feeling that they expect me to just pick it up as I go along.

If I get the position, I will spend a week or two training my replacement. This will likely be an existing 4AM TM moving to bulk, so that will be a piece of cake as long as they understand my process and pick up the receiving piece (the bulk TM is generally a Receiving backup since we work right next to the dock.) I've got the bulk area down to a science and it's clear that it falls apart when random people cover my area. After my replacement is set, I will still have more than a month to shadow my SFT and train with him as much as I need to before he leaves.

This is the scenario that has been relayed to me by my STL as well as my ETL-HR and ETL-Log. Hopefully it works out that way. I think the biggest factor at this point is getting the bulk training done as smoothly as possible. I already gave them my recommendation on a few key TMs that I think would be able to pick it up in time. That being said, I am REALLY glad 4th quarter is over so they can ease into it.

Congrats if you get the position. You should see around a $4 raise. You will get 1 month of training, although the first week will be a lot of online training modules. Don't expect to learn everything at once and there are lots of resources available to you. Check out the Target Wiki site on Workbench. It is full of manuals and instructions for different things around the store.

Thanks! My interviews are coming up this week, and unless our FMBP gets pulled away, I expect them all to be over by the end of the week. I know the FMBP is eager to get this over with so I can get as much training as possible with our SFT leaving in less than two months.

I wanted to get a head start on my training, so I've been reading as much Facilities material as possible during my less busy shifts on non-truck days - especially the FM Wiki, which is a great resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back