Archived Moving up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcellow

No and that’s final
So I’ve been a GSA for about 5 months now and it’s been a ride. However, with hour cuts and all that, I’m mostly chained to do OPU/Guest Service and I only get to do GSA shifts every other weekend, and my skills have been getting rusty and I haven’t been able to flex leadership skills or develop new skills or take on more responsibilities because we have 3 other GSTLs and 4 other GSAs. I’m the newest one and I feel like the lowest man on the totem pole and that needs to change.

I do want to promote to a TL position and I think I’m in a good position to do that but I have felt underutilized and that I’ve been going through the motions at work - like I know I can do MORE than I currently am. Basically, I have been stagnating and I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how I can go above and beyond in my position (being better than the GSTLs) or what should I tell my GSTL/ETL-GE my feelings/wanting to do more in a way that doesn’t come across as whiny.

Definitely speak with your leader(s) about wanting to promote, and ask for advice from them. In the meantime, become the go-to guy for information at the front end. There are new POS systems coming, cash recyclers at all stores. Be an expert at MCO, OPU, Cartwheel, Circle. Check Workbench frequently for front end news, and share with your team.

So I’ve been a GSA for about 5 months now and it’s been a ride. However, with hour cuts and all that, I’m mostly chained to do OPU/Guest Service and I only get to do GSA shifts every other weekend, and my skills have been getting rusty and I haven’t been able to flex leadership skills or develop new skills or take on more responsibilities because we have 3 other GSTLs and 4 other GSAs. I’m the newest one and I feel like the lowest man on the totem pole and that needs to change.

I do want to promote to a TL position and I think I’m in a good position to do that but I have felt underutilized and that I’ve been going through the motions at work - like I know I can do MORE than I currently am. Basically, I have been stagnating and I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how I can go above and beyond in my position (being better than the GSTLs) or what should I tell my GSTL/ETL-GE my feelings/wanting to do more in a way that doesn’t come across as whiny.

Are you benched to become a TL? If not this is something I would talk to your ETLs and STL about. Basically what you need to do is befriend one of your ETLs and really take everything they say to heart. Learn from them almost like they're a mentor. That's how I have moved up from flow-elec-gsa-sbux tl-gstl-closing lead. Basically every store I have been through I have found someone to help me grow as a leader. Sometimes depending on the district they will have you move stores to promote just bc sometimes depending on the leader they may not think you'll be able to hold old friends in previous positions accountable. I've seen less and less of that recently however.

Definitely speak with your leader(s) about wanting to promote, and ask for advice from them. In the meantime, become the go-to guy for information at the front end. There are new POS systems coming, cash recyclers at all stores. Be an expert at MCO, OPU, Cartwheel, Circle. Check Workbench frequently for front end news, and share with your team.
This is great advice. When I went from GSA to GSTL, this is what set me apart from my peers. We could all do the job and do it well but its always best to proactive and not reactive. I was the information and communication wizard at my store. You want to create that culture where people go to you to get the answers. I consistently have my peers, etls and even my stl come to me with questions. It not only makes you look good, it shows you care and have initiative. You can have two great leaders that are both knowledgeable but what sets you apart is the leader that shares, teaches and trains is the one that will always be viewed as the better leader.

That all being said though, it’s a tough view to start without people thinking you’re a know it all. It’s all about how you approach it. I would typically start with guess what I found out today and then you just develop that reputation. Just make sure you don’t start by correcting people because when you start digging on workbench I promise you you’ll find stuff that you know you’re doing wrong and you’ll get the “that’s just the way we’ve always done things” answer. I waited to fix most of those until I was gstl and the person I replaced was the reasoning behind most of them. I would constantly get “well that’s not what xyz said to too”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back