Archived My store is changing to a 6am but we suck as a 4am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, we can't even finish everything when come in at 4am for flow. How will 6am help? Does anyone here already do the process. I foresee a messy backroom and crowed store floor. >.>

It's an awful process and it's completely anti-efficiency in every sense. The purpose is to make flow available to help assist guests with whatever they need.

You'll be in the way of all guests and be forced to work off vehicles on the backs of aisles. I don't foresee you finishing at goal time or leaving at scheduled time. Have fun.

Prepare for constant complaints from the guests about all of the people stocking the shelves. There are a few on our guest comments every week. Our flow team is fantastic, and super efficient and clean but - any reason for people to complain, they'll take it.

i think the goal is to have more of the salesfloor help also. ive heard that 6am process, plano and pricing help push truck till 8.. i dont know for sure though. i was told today they are switching plano and pricing to 8am.. this is going to suck lol

Try being a 7:30 store (and sucking), switching back to 6am (and still sucking). (Granted I'm not a flow TL but there's not a whole lot of reason I see why a 1,700piece truck can't be mostly finished by 11am (when the push team (not unload) is scheduled to leave).

So which stores are going to 6 AM? Does it just depend on the district or does it depend on store volume?

I don't see why the flow process isn't an overnight thing. Our logistics etl is LOD during the day mostly due to flow, I don't see why he couldn't come in after the closer from say 12-8 am and have the flow process worked then. Our flow team works pretty well, but we usually don't get the product onto the shelves until around 10 am and by that time guests are at the store wondering wtf we are doing.

I guess it's normal but sometimes I'm embarrassed because we should be a little more timely and if the guest has a complaint, maybe not all of them, but someone is going to stop shopping at our location.

My old store was overnight. At store open 8AM, flow was GONE!! :)

Our store used to be overnight and then, BOOM, 4am process. Our new ETL-Log (because we have went through many) told me the other day when I was reminiscing that we switched because we weren't efficient as overnight. Um...we don't get trucks pushed now when we are scheduled to leave but back then? We we able to help with reshop, purging backroom and zoning and got out before schedule every time. The later you stay in the day, the less efficient the process becomes. I just pray we don't have to switch to 6am any time soon.

O/N stores going to 4am is gonna be a rough transition, at least at my store. We are going from 2 ETLs, 2 flow TL, 1 backroom TL, and a plano TL to 1 ETL, 1 flow TL, backroom TL will be combined with dayside backroom/instocks TL and plano TL will take over price change. The drop we are taking from from org 5 (overnight) to org 4 (4 am) is ridiculous, especially considering we barely missed the cutoff (48.5 million, needed 49). Even if we were org 5 we would still have lost a ETL, now we lose 3 ETLs (AP, 1 logistics, and 1 salefloor) and something crazy like 4-5 TLs.

I feel bad for 6am and later stores. 4am switch has failed for many stores in our district over the past year.

i think the goal is to have more of the salesfloor help also. ive heard that 6am process, plano and pricing help push truck till 8.. i dont know for sure though. i was told today they are switching plano and pricing to 8am.. this is going to suck lol
Plano push truck? :sarcastic3:

The Plano team in my store think they are head and shoulders above everyone else in the store. Flow/Truck push is below them.

It was just announced to us this morning that we will be switching from 4am to 6am. We have a tough time coming clean by 8 on an average day. I really don't know how this is going to work. Half of our flow team are college aged and the other half work second jobs. I'm just glad I recently switched to pushing electronics rather than the wave.

Having gone from an overnight to a 4am process over a year ago, I can see that the 4am is not at all efficient from a work that's required standpoint.

On overnight, you can make messes, get it cleaned up later, have crap all over the place. Just for instance, pallets on the floor, without worrying it has to be on a flat.

And on a heavy truck day, the flow team is always going to be in the way of the guests.

Which in a way is embarrassing, or should be to Target. Guests should be able to come in and shop, and not have to back up their carts to go to an aisle that's not full of workers.

Maybe Target thought it could save money by not paying the extra dollar or so for Overnight wages. But I'm guessing that may have come back to bite them on the ass, if they have ever stopped to look at it.

From my perspective, we are not as efficient as we were when we were overnight.
In fact, I would guess at least 30% less efficient.

Last edited:
This is Spot's way of addressing the lack of floor coverage. If the flow team is stocking the shelves, then it looks like there are employees there to help guests. Of course, the reality is that half of them don't speak any English and the other half either cannot or will not help. But hey, it looks like we have team members available, so that should be good enough!

The joke comes around BTS and 4th quarter when some stores that were on the edge of O/N and 4am want to go back to O/N for a few weeks because of the heavier trucks. Target is gonna start to lose some good people if they keep it up, can't just expect people to switch schedules like that and everything to go on as usual.

This is Spot's way of addressing the lack of floor coverage. If the flow team is stocking the shelves, then it looks like there are employees there to help guests. Of course, the reality is that half of them don't speak any English and the other half either cannot or will not help. But hey, it looks like we have team members available, so that should be good enough!

It's nice that team members are available but there will be vehicles everywhere! Flats, reds, trash bins, and maybe even some pallets. Moving to 6am is a bad idea.

Our overnights went to 4am last year. Hope they didn't get moved to 6am now. There's never any walkies or PDAs when I come in in the morning, there's z-racks, tubs and flats all over the place. It's a mess.

Plano push truck? :sarcastic3:

The Plano team in my store think they are head and shoulders above everyone else in the store. Flow/Truck push is below them.

It was just announced to us this morning that we will be switching from 4am to 6am. We have a tough time coming clean by 8 on an average day. I really don't know how this is going to work. Half of our flow team are college aged and the other half work second jobs. I'm just glad I recently switched to pushing electronics rather than the wave.

I think it depends on the store.. honestly I have a high opinion of myself.. i work hard and i know how to do my job and a lot of other peoples jobs... but it isnt below us to help and I dont rub it in peoples faces. There were many times when plano was ahead that we would jump in and push because we had the time. now its a daily thing.. we push truck, then we push smart huddle... tomorrow we have 12 pallets of clearance coming out,,, going to be fun

We are moving from 4am to 6am also. I can definitely say that I raised my eyebrows when our STL told us this week that from information that he's supposedly gotten from corporate, that guests really don't mind having more people on the salesfloor stocking. I've worked for Spot for quite a while now, and have spoken to many, many guests, and hmmm, that is not what they're saying. What I've been told by guests is that they enjoy shopping at Target because the store is clean and uncluttered when they come in. The ones I've spoken to very much dislike having to wade through the flow team or unworked freight to attempt to go down aisles. I do think that the later unload time will definitely turn some of our guests off.

Plano push truck?
sarcastic_hand.gif

I think it depends on the store.. honestly I have a high opinion of myself.. i work hard and i know how to do my job and a lot of other peoples jobs... but it isnt below us to help and I dont rub it in peoples faces. There were many times when plano was ahead that we would jump in and push because we had the time. now its a daily thing.. we push truck, then we push smart huddle... tomorrow we have 12 pallets of clearance coming out,,, going to be fun

Most of the Plano team at my store have been there 10, 15, 18 years...that's probably got a lot to do with it. I too know how to do just about everything in the store and don't mind jumping in where ever I am needed.

I find the switch to 6am idiotic and poorly thought out. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not my STL's, ETL's etc. decision and they are going to be suffering right there with us.

Last edited:
unfortunately ive adopted the attitude that they are paying me to work there... if they want me to push truck ill push truck.. if they want me to get carts ill get carts.. i dont care... i keep them updated daily about my workload and they are never shocked when friday comes and we arent finished.

We went from O/N to 4AM last year.....and it still sucks.....they can finish the floor pretty well, but the backroom is a complete mess most days, which when we start pulling the CAF's at 11, most days we are still having to work around flow.....then we get fussed at because we aren't going fast enough.....well, if didn't have to move your people so many times......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back