Archived My testimonial and introduction

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greetings, fellow minions of Target. You can call me "Jack". I have lurked every once in a while on this board for the past year but never took the time to register and post until now. I will be completely honest about what I say in this introduction. I won't lie. I absolutely hate working at Target. I have pretty much hated ever since day one. I guess I can admit that when I was hired, I didn't hate it that much because I was naïve and clueless on how Target runs things. I didn't know the dos and don'ts. Anyways, my story started in the fall of 2008 when I was hired. I was initially told that I was being hired as part time but in January of 2009, I was told that I was hired as seasonal but Target decided to keep me on because they liked my progress. I chose logistics as my department and in the backroom day section of the store. Looking back on it, I kinda regret picking logistics. Logistics is basically the butthole of Target stores. Back to the store, I did everything that was asked of me. I started to question things. Questioning things at Target is a huge no no or don't. You question nothing. I questioned things because something didn't feel right. I felt like I was getting the crap end of the stick. I was always having to close the backroom meaning I would be there til 830pm or 9pm. That would be 5 days a week. I would also have to be the one that made bales and operated the crown. Apparently, at my store, backroom team members are trained differently. Some backroom team members are not obligated or required to be trained on how to make a bale or operate the crown. That's funny because we perform the same job and have the same job title yet one does more work than the other. The excuses from those team members are "I'm scared to operate the crown". When I hear that, I just smirk and want to say "why are you working in the backroom". I mean seriously, what makes you special that you should get excused from doing the more physical types of labor? Unless you have a physical disability, you don't have an excuse in my opinion. When you say "I'm scared to use a machine" that you are supposed to be trained to be used, that is you just being lazy. Don't even get me started on making bales. I'm basically the only backroom day team member that makes bales. My other so-called comrades weasel their way out of it. I asked the ETLs about backroom team members not making bales or using the crown, and I was told that the opening backroom person isn't responsible for that. I laughed. I won't lie. I don't get along that well with the opening backroom person but I have my reasons. Judge me if you want to do so. This person is just a lazy person in my opinion when it comes to the physical labor aspect of the backroom. This person has been there for 6 years and still does not operate the crown or make bales. I have been there for 5 years and I am basically the go to person when it comes to the crown and bale making. Why is that. Where is the equality? What makes this person so special? This opening backroom team member has a ridiculously generous schedule. 6am to 230pm Monday through Friday. Yep, a backroom day team member that never works weekends or evenings. When I called the ETLs out on this, I was told that it that schedule for this person was already set in stone before they got here as ETLs so it wouldn't change. This person is also very picky and choosy when it comes to the walkie. This person only speaks on the walkie if they need to speak with a boss or if a POG or EXF is ready. If someone calls the backroom for an item to be pulled, I have to do it. For example, someone can be asking backroom for a car seat to be pulled and this backroom team member will be in the electronics stockroom which is right by the softlines merchandise in the backroom and I will be all the way on the other side of the stockroom on the grocery side. I have to go all the way over there. Anyways, I'm ranting. I have probably only mentioned half of the crap that I see. The main reason why I have been treated the way I have been treated at Target is because I'm not a suck up or kiss arse. I am also a doormat. I let people walk over me because I don't want to get into a confrontation. I have been working at Target for way too long. I graduated from college right before the great recession and have unfortunately been stuck at Target ever since. So yeah, I have a lot of resentment and anger about my situation. I am not asking for pity or anything. I just wanted to vent. If this post offended, sorry. It was not meant to offend you. I am just very miserable at Target. I hate working in retail. Working in retail is not what I want to do. I went to college to avoid to work in retail and fast food. I was sadly brainwashed and misled by American society into the silly wishy washy thinking that a college degree would make my life better. The sad embarrassing thing is that pretty much everyone I know at the Target I work at knows that I despise working there. I'm pretty sure they think I'm some kind of homeless dirty looking nut(I usually wear a dirty red shirt and don't shave or take that much good care of my appearance, I do wear my name tag and PDA holster). I am surprised I haven't been fired. My guess is that no one wants to work my shift. My shift is usually somewhere from noon to 8pm or 12:30pm to 9pm. I always have to work the weekend. The weekend to me is Friday through Sunday. When you work a shift like that, how can you honestly enjoy your day? When I work, my day doesn't start until 9pm or 10pm, lol. My sleeping patterns are a joke. I usually wake up 30 minutes before I have to clock in and I'm half awake when I get there. I sometimes play it off like I'm drunk or high so that in some sad way they will can me and put me out of my misery. Maybe, I will get fired and they are just waiting for the right moment. Anyways, sorry for the ranting. Venting helps me cope.

Welcome to The Break Room.

This is where we rant to our hearts content.
If you need to get it out this is the place to do it.

I have been looking on and off for 5 years. My interview skills are poor and need to improve. The interviews are what kills me. I took a break from looking due to the stress of the holiday season at Target. At my store and department, I am treated like a doormat. Yeah, you can say I'm playing the victim or retail is tough but it's my opinion. I can admit that it's my fault because I let people do me that way. When you let yourself become a doormat, it's extremely hard to change that since people will freak if you try to stand up for yourself or say no. I can also admit that I've had some attitude and anger problems and I've snapped verbally on team members and ETLs. I am definitely surprised that I haven't been canned after all these years for that. In 2012, I finally got my 1st S for getting into a heated discussion with the boss of the store. After that, I have basically kept my mouth shut. It's just not worth it. The bosses don't want to hear your questions, concerns, or comments. I feel embarrassed for how I have acted but I have burned too many bridges so I don't think I can redeem myself. The only thing I can do is just be quiet and try not to burn any more bridges. I just wanted to be treated fairly and equally but at the store I work, that isn't possible. Doing more work and working an unbalanced schedule are just consequences of my mistakes in the past. If I had planned better and had thought things through in my past, I wouldn't even be working at Target.

You will be ok. Ck your local employment agency for something called workforce. They can help you with fine tuning of your interviews skills. On the anger side, just step back & take a deep breath. Try thinking better ways to do/work with certain tasks or folks. Just make a decision for yourself, I can beat this anger thing & get along with everyone. It make take baby steps at first, but you can do it. Try to rebuild trust with your tl or etl's, do things that need to be done without being asked.

Last edited:
gOEzHE3.jpg

Yeah I feel a little better. Target brings the worst out of me. When I first get there to start my shift, my attitude is horrible. I'm usually very angry and coming to realize the fact that I'm about to begin working a shift at a job that I hate. I assess the damage that has been done to the backroom by flow, backroom, and the sales floor. It usually takes a break or a lunch for me to calm down. Once I've had a break or lunch, I'm a lot better. The 15 to 30 minute rest time really helps me. The weekends are probably the worse because I usually start at noon or 1230pm and don't get to take a break or lunch until after the 5pm CAF pulls are done. When you pull CAF pulls for 5 to 6 hours straight with barely enough time to use the restroom, it can be very stressful. I have tried to patch things up with my ETL and not be so mean to that person. After I got my first S, I basically gave up on telling my concerns, complaints, and questions to ETLs and the STL.

Keep on trying. 4th quarter is madness for all. Take on the mess, as challenge. Focus on how fast you do it & without errors. Then laughed at yourself when you beat the other folks pulling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back