Archived NEED HELP....I WAS BARELY TRAINED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
so i just started working at target as a part time cashier 2 weeks ago and have a lot of questions if y'all are willing to help me.

1) i was only trained for 1.5 hours then thrown on the lane by myself. my trainer didn't even show me a lot of critical stuff like how to award gift cards or process checks or multiple payments (now i know though). so the question is....IS THIS NORMAL?? i even told him it was my first job
2) how do i process guests who are tax exempt?
3) what is your usual overall score after your shift is over?
4) if a guest tells me that they were supposed to receive a $5 gift card with that....what do i do?
5) should i report to my TL before clocking out or just leave?
6) what is the sign up process for red cards
7) how many red cards do you usually give out in a day?
8) what the heck are wedding and gift registries?
9) after scanning the registry bar code, should i just click the button that says "pick all items"
10) what do i do for an item with no bar code nor tag...just ask the guest for the price? lol
11) when should i suspend an order?
12) how do i suspend an order?
13) how do i bring back a suspended order?

i know it's a lot but i really appreciate your help. i'm just trying to learn the things my trainer didn't tell me about so i can get by on the job. much thanks

welcome to Target where they do minimal to no training.

1. yes it's normal to forget things when you're training. Target also doesn't really waste time on training people. most of the stuff the team members know is by finding out themselves or asking others.

2. make sure that a GSTL/GSA/LOD know about this tax exempt. It's pretty simple, usually the guest has their information that you have to type in (at least from when i've done it)... just make sure the GSTLA/GSA knows

3. depends.

4. call over a GSTL/GSA and confirm it. from there, the GSTL/GSA will let you know what do it.

5. before clocking in, when you're going on break, and before you leave.

6. there's a pamphlet in your drawer (if you have a drawer) that you scan. it asks you what kind of RedCard they're applying for (debit or credit) and then just follow the prompts on the screen.

7. depends.

8 & 9. wedding and baby registries are wish lists. if you ever get one, scan every time first, they will hand you a paper, or multiple papers depending on the gift registry, and you'll only have to scan the top barcode. once that's done, it'll ask you for which items you'll want a gift receipt for. i usually choose all just in case. sometimes the item isn't on the registry so if nothing prompts you for a gist receipt, let the guest know.

10. usually there's a DPCI on a tag. it's a 9 number that is usually expressed like this: XXX-XX-XXXX type said number into the computer and then you'll get the item price. if there's not number on the item, call for the GSTLA/GSA and they'll try to find someone from the sales floor to give you the numbers. if the price is within a good price range $1-$5 then just type it in as a no barcode item. this isn't in best practice, honestly, so don't do it too often.

11. if the guest is taking a little longer than expected, suspend. if the guest forgot their wallet in the car and they have to go run an get it, suspend. if they have to go to the bathroom with their child, suspend. anytime you feel like it's taking away from other guests, suspend.

12. there's a suspend button on the keyboard. usually next to "total" or "clear"

13. just scan the suspend barcode and everything will load back on.

Judgemental answered your questions pretty thoroughly, but I will say ASANTS (all stores are not the same). I answered the following questions a little differently than judgemental did.

Hi all,
1) i was only trained for 1.5 hours then thrown on the lane by myself. my trainer didn't even show me a lot of critical stuff like how to award gift cards or process checks or multiple payments (now i know though). so the question is....IS THIS NORMAL?? i even told him it was my first job Totally normal. smdh
2) how do i process guests who are tax exempt? I've never called my GSA/GSTL over when a tax exempt guest comes over. As long as they have their state card and ID, I go ahead and type the information in. There is a choice on the K menu for tax info. Hit that key and the POS will walk you through the rest.
3) what is your usual overall score after your shift is over? I'm always green. I strive to get as close to 100 as I can. But I'm an overachiever like that.
5) should i report to my TL before clocking out or just leave? I never tell my GSA/GSTL that I'm going on break, leaving for the night. They have the grid and they make the break cards. They know when my breaks are and when my shift is over.
10) what do i do for an item with no bar code nor tag...just ask the guest for the price? lol This definitely depends. For clothing, you can type in the DPCI number (this is usually located on a small tag underneath the tag inside the piece of clothing). For other items, I will ask the guest if they remember how much the item is first and if they don't, I will just pull up the Target app and search for the item to get a price (this is essentially the same thing the GSA/GSTL is going to do anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back