nephew's debit card was hacked into due to Target's hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my nephew and his wife went to a store today to buy Christmas gifts for their little girl (yes, it's late BUT they had other bills last month to pay).....their debit card was declined. Called the bank -- NO MONEY left in account ...$600 gone. Someone in Michigan (which is not the state we live in) used all the money at a clothing store. Nephew canceled and then whoever has info, tried getting gas and it was declined. They called Target -- Target would NOT do anything for them...told them to call their bank. They were NOT very nice about it either. They have no food in the house -- so my sister (his mom) spent $150 to buy them food.

I cannot believe Target was so rude to them. I really really hope my no one else has this happen to them. Please pray for them and everyone else that might get affected by this. thanks in advance. :thank_you2:

If it was a normal debit card then they need to call their bank. Target is only able to deal with the Target Credit and Debit cards.

My boyfriend's stepmom's card was hacked. Luckily as soon as she contacted her bank they were able to get her money back. She has a new card on the way now.

I get that it is a frustrating experience, I've had my debit information taken from me before, but what is Target supposed to do? Give them free stuff?

Well I wouldn't just drop the issue at this point - I'd start writing letters/calling up and specifically mentioning (whether they have or haven't) that they've retained legal counsel to hold Target accountable for their lax security. They'll make it right then, only when they know it will hurt them worse if they don't.

What do you expect Target to do about it? Rofl.

Yeah okay, let me just pull up your Bank Account information and fix that for you!

Seriously......

So my nephew and his wife went to a store today to buy Christmas gifts for their little girl (yes, it's late BUT they had other bills last month to pay).....their debit card was declined. Called the bank -- NO MONEY left in account ...$600 gone. Someone in Michigan (which is not the state we live in) used all the money at a clothing store. Nephew canceled and then whoever has info, tried getting gas and it was declined. They called Target -- Target would NOT do anything for them...told them to call their bank. They were NOT very nice about it either. They have no food in the house -- so my sister (his mom) spent $150 to buy them food.

I cannot believe Target was so rude to them. I really really hope my no one else has this happen to them. Please pray for them and everyone else that might get affected by this. thanks in advance. :thank_you2:

This may sound cold, but I have grown apathetic as I have gotten older... They have no money (they keep no food on hand and are behind on bills) which is being used as a reason to feel some pity for them. Then my question is why didn't they have a Target Debit Card that they were using at Target? Not only would this particular theft not have happened (since those particular cards are only used at Target, require a PIN for usage no matter what even for online purchases) they would also be saving 5% of their grocery and general expenses budget to use on other things.

It is sad when bad things happen, and in all honesty we are in a digital era in which information is the number thing that will be stolen. There is an inherent risk in the convenience that has been created and we need to learn to accept that. If you want zero risk of this happening, use cash... Otherwise there will always be a risk. This is not the last time (or first time) something along these lines will happen.

This is not the last time (or first time) something along these lines will happen.
I felt pretty confident yesterday telling guests that Spot might be the safest place to use their cards today... How about they then worry about where the peeps have moved onto trying to hack into.

Its going to happen.

Maybe the best thing that will come will be forcing banks to extend zero fraud to debit cards. Let them have some more crappy pr, the customer will win in this case. My bank rocks, but not all of them do. I'd be exerting energy towards my crappy bank -who is the one to then go after Spot.

Remind them (the bank) what time of year it is.....

I was in a car accident yesterday. I called Ford and asked them how they were going tomake this right. They were very rude about it. I then posted a thread on a UAW site and they took on a mocking tone.

Not nice to MOCK someone in this situation....that's very rude!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is even more mean. Barcode I hope you have a very unhappy 2014 -- that should teach you a lesson. Asking for prayers is NOTHING to laugh about. I know that Target can't fix it but they could have been more sympathetic about it and not so rude to them. I wonder if all your posts are this mean.

Is your nephew going to pay back your sister after he gets his money back from his bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back