Archived New cash registers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
We're supposed to get the new cash registers in May. The GSTL-GE has said that they will be touch screens.
Has anyone gotten these new registers? If so, what are they like and how well do the new registers work?

Do you have the IBM (short black and white screen) registers? If so you'll upgrade to the NCR registers most likely. We got those like 4 years ago and they are better looking and have touch screens, but we always have service requests out because they have random issues. Other than that I haven't seen any newer model registers..I doubt target would shell out that kinda $$$

Do you have the IBM (short black and white screen) registers? If so you'll upgrade to the NCR registers most likely. We got those like 4 years ago and they are better looking and have touch screens, but we always have service requests out because they have random issues. Other than that I haven't seen any newer model registers..I doubt target would shell out that kinda $$$

We had the dinosaur IBMs when I started. They were slower than frozen molasses, and a whole bunch of them crashed during my first Black Friday (still 4AM back then). My front end comrades did a happy dance when we finally got the NCR machines the following summer. Our NCRs aren't touch-screen, but the monitors show color and can be adjusted (which helps when you're tall and have to look down at them).

We have the NCRs at my store but not touch screens so I'm jealous. Only problem is that at least two of them will be broken at any given time.

we have NCR registers, but the only touch screen ones are at Food Ave and Starbucks. I would be really interested to see some pics if the registers are newer than mine!

we have NCR registers, but the only touch screen ones are at Food Ave and Starbucks. I would be really interested to see some pics if the registers are newer than mine!

That is the same as our spot. The touch screens are nice for those areas since they actually have to select items off of a menu. I don't really see much of an advantage for the rest of the checkout locations. I am too much in the rhythm of a keyboard at this point, I think a touch screen would slow us all down.

Both Targets I worked at had NCR registers, non touch screen. Food Ave and Starbucks had the touch screens though.

Does anyone know how open the cash drawers on the NRC registers when there is no power present?

I do, depending on the model. One store I worked at it doesn't work and the other it does. If you tilt the register up, on the bottom towards the back there is going to be a little hole. If you push the button in that hole it will open, you'll need a really small pinky or a pen to do this.

Does anyone know how open the cash drawers on the NRC registers when there is no power present?

I do, depending on the model. One store I worked at it doesn't work and the other it does. If you tilt the register up, on the bottom towards the back there is going to be a little hole. If you push the button in that hole it will open, you'll need a really small pinky or a pen to do this.
That was the old ones we had last year. The new ones the hole is gone:(

Ohhh... That is why it doesn't work at one of them then. I honestly didn't even realize a difference between the two... oops!

Ohhh... That is why it doesn't work at one of them then. I honestly didn't even realize a difference between the two... oops!
I found out after a power failure, it was gone.

We have NCR registers and there is a keyhole on the cash drawer...not sure if they're touchscreen or not, haven't tried touching the screen instead of using the "K" keys, but Starbucks & FA are??? Of course, the keys are IN the drawer of one of them (which would do a lot of good if the power went out) and I have no clue where they are for the other one....

The NCRs all have touchscreens but they're enabled ONLY on FA & SB because of the mass menus we have.
There used to be a way (under the parameters/func menu) to enable the touch screen but I think that's been eliminated.
I miss the old-style drawers that could be unlocked & opened during outages. The NCRs have a punch-out for a key override in the drawer but we were told that wouldn't be an option after a couple GSTLs were termed for skimming tills.

I miss the old-style drawers that could be unlocked & opened during outages. The NCRs have a punch-out for a key override in the drawer but we were told that wouldn't be an option after a couple GSTLs were termed for skimming tills.

The first day I worked with the new registers, my drawer got jammed and wouldn't open. My GSTL was shocked that there was no keyhole.

So, if they are just the NCRs the rest of us have, good luck. We have had so many problems since the last update, that the registers are all taking turns as to whether or not they will work. The mornings we had no Starbucks register was a huge cluster. We had one guy out 5 times before he was able to actually get the issue fixed on another register. Usually the problems aren't this significant, but the past month or so, they have been huge and never seem to end.

^This.
One of our FA registers had to have the board pulled. Took a week before it was working again.
Fortunately, we had a second register.

OK...sounds like there's a lot of variety out there. Based on previous comments I know that we already have the NCR registers with a screen that shows color.

Food Ave and Starbucks have the NCR that looks exactly like the cashier registers, but they are touch screen. Hmmmm...I thought that the new registers that we're supposed to get have to do with the post-breach and digital card updates.

Last April we had our pfresh remodel....perhaps we were supposed to get them then. I'll just have to ask more questions and see if I can get any straight answers.

We are supposed to be getting new ones this fall - September I think.

We have NCRs with color screens, no touch except in FA & SB. Ours are a POS and having major issues.... two keep going into refund mode all by themselves. One was so mucked up even my GSTL couldn't get me out of what it was in - and I hadn't touched it.

Sometimes if you scan a serial number instead of a UPC as the first code, then the register will go into refund mode.

we have the ncrs with color screens only touch we have is in fa ours keep breaking all the time. we had remodel like 3-4 years ago they took away the awful back and white ones and replaced them. i dont think any targets still have the black and white ones anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back