Archived New Cashier! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i start next week at my local target. I was hired as a cashier. Tell me about your experiences. Any tips? I would love to hear anything and everything you have to say about Target!! The good, the bad, and the ugly! What will my first day be like? Where should i go?

Welcome! I was hired as a cashier when I first started too, and I still like cashiering because it’s relatively low-stress compared to some other jobs. My advice to you is to ask a LOT of questions to your GSA/GSTL or to your fellow cashiers. The training at Target is not very comprehensive most of the time, they may just throw you in to sink or swim, but honestly it’s not too hard so a lot of things you will pick up on your own. I’m not sure if you’ve had a retail job before, but don’t take grumpy guests personally. And, learn who is who at your store so that you can know who to go to for help with various things.

Welcome. Here are a few general tips. Never miss compliance (this is also known as missing your fifth, or fifth hour). That means you have to punch out for lunch before you have worked five hours. I think it is five hours for all stores, but check with your supervisor for details. Follow the break and lunch schedule. Leave and return on time, so that there’s coverage for your peers to do the same.

Follow the TM discount policy to the letter. Don’t allow anyone unauthorized to use your discount. Ever. Use only authorized payment methods with your discount card.

Follow the gift card policy to the letter. As it says above, If a guest leaves a gift card behind, don’t take it and use it. You could be terminated if you do.

Never markdown anything for friends, family, or yourself. If you have questions about price adjustments ask your supervisor for guidance.

If you need help, ask. If you can help someone else, go for it. You shouldn’t go too wrong if you follow the rules and treat others like you would like to be treated. Target loves a smile and a positive attitude. Good luck!🍀😁

If anything is uncertain or feels weird or sketchy, call a GSTL. Never let a guest tell you how to use your register especially when they start getting specific with ‘K’ keys. I’m not sure how strict your store is on coupons, but if the guest wants to split transactions, they are committing coupon fraud and any high value coupons are always a good time to call and get verification from GSTL, so it doesn’t fall back on you. Good luck and enjoy!

Welcome! Talk up the benefits of the Red Card w/ EVERY guest. Not only does it increase your chances of getting one, but it can be viewed as discrimination if a guest hears you, then you don't talk to them about it.

Zone and Audit the endcaps and impulse candy during down time. This includes checking expiration dates. Stand at the front of the lane to welcome guests. DON'T just stand behind, or for the love of Spot SIT on the lane on your phone talking to the cashier next to you.

Make it right for the guest if reasonable. Don't call the sales floor to verify a $1 difference while the guest waits.

Definitely pay attention to coupons. If unsure, ask a GSA by hitting the call button. Some people look for new cashiers and take advantage of them. Don't put yourself in that situation. Better that they wait and get annoyed, than the store loose money from fraud coupons or multi split purchases.
Good Luck!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back