Archived New Cashier Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. New team member and forum member here.

So I had orientation Thursday (by myself) then on Friday I trained on the cashier from the book and was thrown on a lane by myself after that. My trainer changed halfway through my shift without my knowledge and I don't even think they talked to each other because the second one didn't know I hadn't taken my alcohol sales quiz and my first trainer was actually surprised she had to train someone that day, like she didn't even know I was going to be there. Tomorrow, I guess I am just on my own and my training is supposed to be over? I'm sort of ok with that as I have previous cashier experience from a few years ago so I feel relatively comfortable with the job, but the problem is I don't even know where I am supposed to go (lane wise) or who to report to.

Clearly I am a seasonal hire and oddly timed at that, but I am slightly frustrated by this training (or lack thereof) and lack of communication between management, team leaders and team members already. Is this typical? I am honestly pretty embarrassed to walk in there tomorrow and have to find someone in the office and say "hi, I don't know what I am supposed to do or who is in charge." Everyone is really nice, but I feel like I have fallen through the cracks on everyone's radar and am being left to fend for myself with the most miniscule amount of information, and honestly most of that is drawn from my own knowledge and intuition anyways. It's all ramping up my anxiety right now and that's pretty annoying for something that I thought would be a fairly easy job during my winter break from grad school (where I study management lol).

So I guess my questions are:
How am I supposed to know who is my supervisor? I don't even really know anyone's names much less their positions.
In my previous cashier job you had to be signed out a cash drawer and at the end of your shift you took it to be counted up and turned in. That doesn't seem to be the case here as I was just put on a register someone else was already working at and when my shift was up I just left it. So do I just walk out there and pick an empty lane to start working?
Any other advice on what I should do when I go in tomorrow?

hey there,
I'm also a new cashier at Target. I've never cashiered in my life before Target. I'll tell you right now, 95% of your learning and "training" will be when you're on the job, working independently without anyone's help. Also, edited to add: The trainer changing half way thru is pretty normal at Target. It's also normal for the next person to take over to have no idea who you are. Just introduce yourself and ask them who they are/what their position is. Anyways, here's how I start a cashier shift at my Target:
-Arrive a few minutes early, put my water bottle and jacket in a locker. Maybe hang out in the break room and chat with other team members for a bit.
-Clock in exactly when your shift starts
-Head directly to the check lanes or the guest service desk and ask a team member who the GSA or GSTL is at the moment. (GSA=guest service associate, GSTL=guest service team leader)
-Ask the GSA or GSTL what check lane I should get on. Also ask what time you should go on your break or if your shift is over 4.75 hours long, ask when to take your lunch.
-Whenever there's no line, make sure you're zoning (straightening up) the iTunes cards, gum, chocolate, etc around the register. Find ways to stay busy.
-Make sure you drive the red card. Just ask guests if they know what it is and explain it. If they're ready for it, they'll want it.
-If you need help, hit the help button on the keyboard. It should page GSA or GSTL. If not turn your lane light to "blinking" mode.
-Make sure to pick up everything that comes through the moving belt as you scan it, look inside all merchandise like backpacks, purses, lunch boxes etc, and check the bottom of the shopping basket to make sure nothing is left unscanned.
-If a guest wants to pay with a gift card, scan the gift card after hitting 'total'.
-If a guest wants a gift reciept, i think it's K6 on the keyboard. Just read your screen for which key that is.
-Ask for coupons before you hit total at the end of the transactions.
-All $50 and $100 dollar bills go underneath the cash tray. Checks will go to the left of the $20 bills.
That should cover everything. Like I said, the learning all takes place when you're on your own and if you need help just ask the GSA/GSTL.

Last edited:
Thanks newtm, that was really helpful. And hardlinesmaster, I tried looking for a thread like that and clearly failed. :blush: Thanks for the link.

That was the most frustrating part to me....trying to figure out who's "in charge." Believe me, we've all been there. If the GSTL/GSA is good and not swamped, they'll know you're coming and keep an eye out for you so they can get you to the right place without it becoming a huge issue.

I used to check my grid so I'd know who was coming in & when. If a newbie (not yet on schedules) came in, I'd add them to the grid as well as telling them during which hr to expect breaks & lunches. I'd then assign them to a lane next to an experienced cashier, giving said cashier a heads up that we had a newbie on board.
Regretfully, I left the front lanes last yr & I see many new folk thrown on the lanes as you just described.
You have my condolences.
Great job to newtm for catching on so quick & sharing their knowledge.

OP: Welcome to The Break Room! As you've almost certainly figured out by now, communication is a huge problem (or "opportunity" in Target lingo) within Target, and it's not just your store. It can be a bit overwhelming when you're brand new, but don't be afraid to ask questions. Most TMs and TLs will be happy to help (and so are we here at TBR!).

redeye58: If only every store could have you as a GSA GSTL...

-Ask the GSA or GSTL what check lane I should get on. Also ask what time you should go on your break or if your shift is over 4.75 hours long, ask when to take your lunch.

Lunches are given if a team member is working six hours or longer.

I used to be a GSA before getting promoted so I can help you out here! Okay it's not always easy to tell who is a GSA or GSTL just by looking at them. So when you get in look for a team member who is not with a guest and tell them it is your second day so you don't really know anyone and ask who is the GSA/GSTL and where they are. They will get you to the right direction and feel free to ask the GSA/GSTL any questions you have about your training or about your job in general. Cashiers do not count drawers, the Cash Office team member does that the next day and you sometimes you will work on a couple of different registers throughout your shift. Always ask the GSA/GSTL which lane they want you to go to, just incase there is a lane that is not working properly or if they have you assigned to one (some stores do this and some do not, it varies.) They are usually super friendly and more than willing to help you out. Unfortunately you were hired in at a bad time when it is extremely busy and hard to get some really good training. Don't feel stupid if you have a question or if a guest has a question. Always ask. Better to ask then to do something wrong. Most of the questions you ask the GSA/GSTL and in many cases even your fellow cashiers will be able to answer them for you. My second day I was on my own too and it was nerve wrecking but it went well. The GSA/GSTL is most likely going to put you on a back lane so you are a little less busy and can catch on better. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use your blinker and ask fellow cashiers questions when there is not a GSA/GSTL around. Hope this helps!! Good luck!

If you don't get Red Cards, the GSAs and GSTLS will gradually begin to resent you and make your life miserable ("Oh, so sorry I forgot to give you your break again today!", not speaking to you, glares when you say hello)

If you do get Red Cards, they will become your best friends. They'll small talk with you, make sure you get good working registers, and quickly begin grooming you to become one of them.

Bottom line: they don't give a **** whether your score is green or not. Just push Red Cards like a used-car salesman.

I honestly don't care if people don't get REDCards.... I don't get paid to make sure other people's scores are high. I just focus on myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back