Archived New cashier with back issues. Should I go ahead and resign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Target hiring practice, I'm sorry to say.

If you expressed an inkling of an outgoing personality they'll shove you to Cashier and if you get their beloved RedCards you'll probably never get rid of it.

My advice, go to HR and reiterate what you were hired for. Express that you like Target but you accepted a different work center.

I hope you feel better :)
A cashier at my old store was allowed a set open-3pm shift. She said it was because she was there a few years but I have no doubt it was due to her always getting a ton of red card signups.

A cashier at my old store was allowed a set open-3pm shift. She said it was because she was there a few years but I have no doubt it was due to her always getting a ton of red card signups.
Could be. Maybe she "earned her keep'. Nothing wrong with that IF she got sign ups in a proper way (not deceptively).

Another update, it turns out that I wasn't fired when I thought I was. The schedule was just posted late that week, so online it looked like I had no hours but I did. End of February (the month they said they needed us last few seasonals through) schedule came out, I'm still on it. I requested and recieved 4 days of unpaid vacation the first week of March (next week) and figured I'd be let go after that...I have a 7 hour shift immediately after I get back. I guess they're keeping me for now? I don't understand why; I'm a pretty bad cashier. Still no RCs and I still can't undo spider wraps, but that's for another thread. I'm still expecting to be laid off evenually since I'm only halfway through my 90.

To get back on topic, I talked to one GSTL a couple of weeks ago and he said they had a chair I could use anytime (the California "seat for cashiers" thing someone talked about in this thread) and then brushed me off. I used it for a little while that day when I was watching SCO and it was...awkward. Big, heavy, and hard. I can't imagine being on an actual register and using it. Since then it's kind of become the unofficial SCO chair and we all use it periodically when we're over there, which is fine with me. But my hip has regressed and it's starting to hurt more again so I'm going to have to quit eventually if they don't let me go. I'm scared to bring it up with HR because they'll probably just tell me the same thing my GSTL told me about the chair and dismiss me. So in other words, no one cares. I really don't want a chair, I just want to be able to walk more and I'll be fine. Oh well.

I use to get back pain and foot pain just because I use to stand on a lane all day. Full time cashiering SUCKED.

I decided to move to the Food department, grocery, specifically frozen dairy department. All back pain has been gone, no foot pain. I know my case is different but moving around literally made me a better person.

I was that really out-going, friendly cashier everyone liked and trust me, it took me almost a year just to finally get out of the front end. Between an old ETL-GE and my ETL-Food and TL in the dairy department, it was a bit of a fight because she didn't want me over there. There's a lot more reasons as to why but after getting more connected with the TL and ETL over in Grocery they finally got me some shifts over there at least. That ETL-GE left, and I was pretty much moved into Grocery. Haven't cashiered in almost two and a half years, been here three and a half.

Your best bet to getting into a new department is ignoring your current leadership and connecting with the adjacent leaders in the department you're interested in.

I couldn't handle cashiering either. I have always been primarily flow but for extra shifts I'd get scheduled there. My knees would kill me from just standing in one spot all day, but I'm fine doing anything on the floor.
One day I asked if they could limit my cashier shifts to 4 hours because my knees just couldn't handle longer than that. Their response was to stop scheduling me on registers completely. Heh, no skin off my back, I loathed cashering anyway.

If you have had recent hip surgery then there has to be some diagnosis somewhere that can be used to get you accommodations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back