Archived New cashier with back issues. Should I go ahead and resign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I was a little kid I've had back pain when standing in one place. More than 15 minutes and the pain starts and steadily increases. It's nothing I have a diagnoses for so I wouldn't be able to get an accommodation for it (I was diagnosed scoliosis when I was younger, but I was remeasured a few years ago and while my spine is still abnormally curved, it's not enough to technically be considered scoliosis anymore). I'm very tall and thin (5'10" and 101 lbs) so that doesn't help either since the register area sits so low and I'm always hunched in the same position.

Anyway, all this to say, I applied for Sales Floor (hardlines specifically) because I thought it would be an excellent fit for me. I do great standing for long periods as long as I'm walking and moving. I do multi-hour hikes with no problem as long as I take breaks every couple of hours. Not so with standing still. For some reason, they ended up interviewing and hiring me for cashier. The first day was hell, obviously. By the next day, my nice new shoes had arrived and they improved things immensely for a while. But after my last 2 shifts (both 7+ hours), things seem to be getting worse again instead of better. I could barely walk after my shift yesterday from the back pain, and my knees, ankles, and right hip (I had a surgery on it 5 months ago) are still semi-numb and throbbing. The schedule for 2 weeks out just came out and I have 3 more 6.5-7.5 hour shifts in a row and I honestly don't know if I can handle it. Should I go ahead put in my 2 weeks over this? I feel weird doing it because I just started working here. I like my fellow TMs and I'm getting 20-25 hours a week like I wanted, but my useless body can't keep up.

If not, is there something else I can do to help the pain? I already organize the things for sale on the lane, run baskets to the front, and gather reshop when there's no line, but there's almost always a line. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have some sort of undiagnosed injury in my right elbow area, and the repetitive movement of scanning merch can aggravate the injured area. So when I'm already aching at the start of my shift or I'm working a longer day, I go to GSA/GSTL, let them know what's going on with my injury and ask to be assigned to SCO, service desk and/or reshop as much as possible. Since SCO is one possibly the most hated position at my store, having someone volunteer for it always goes well. I'm also one of our most efficient cashiers at reshop. These efforts don't keep me entirely off a lane, but it definitely reduces that time.

Bottom line, be proactive, and communicate.

I have some sort of undiagnosed injury in my right elbow area, and the repetitive movement of scanning merch can aggravate the injured area. So when I'm already aching at the start of my shift or I'm working a longer day, I go to GSA/GSTL, let them know what's going on with my injury and ask to be assigned to SCO, service desk and/or reshop as much as possible. Since SCO is one possibly the most hated position at my store, having someone volunteer for it always goes well. I'm also one of our most efficient cashiers at reshop. These efforts don't keep me entirely off a lane, but it definitely reduces that time.

Bottom line, be proactive, and communicate.

SCO is actually worse for me than lanes. I guess because on the lanes I do move a little, walking around to put bags in carts and moving back and forth in the register area. And I can bend down to get people's $5 giftcards/throw trash away/put hangers in the bin and such so I get some relief. At SCO we're expected to basically stand in one spot until a guest needs help, and there's no way to bend over without looking weird/lazy. I'll definitely ask about being service desk trained, though. I've been hesitant since I'm so new, but I guess the worst thing they can say is no. Thank you!

Go to GSTL, ETL HR/GE or STL (whomever you think will help you most) and let them know exactly what is going on. They will see how they want to go about this. Assure them that you are definitely willing to work and hardlines is exactly the right place for you. Its beneficial for them because they can call you for backup (as a hardlines team member) and also throw you some shorter cashier shifts (on the 4 hour end) all while seeing that you are cross trained in 2 areas.

At SCO we're expected to basically stand in one spot until a guest needs help, and there's no way to bend over without looking weird/lazy.

This is surprising to me. I'm expected to engage with every guest, walking back and forth to watch check each of the monitors and jump in whenever there's a problem. I routinely clock 4,000 steps (for me, nearly 2 miles) or more in a 4 hour SCO shift.

This is surprising to me. I'm expected to engage with every guest, walking back and forth to watch check each of the monitors and jump in whenever there's a problem. I routinely clock 4,000 steps (for me, nearly 2 miles) or more in a 4 hour SCO shift.

That's what I meant by "when a guest needs help". It doesn't happen too often at my store, at least not so far. And I do engage with them as far as greeting them, telling them to have a good day on their way out, and directing them to the registers that are open if they seem confused. All of those things are generally done from one spot though, or within a couple of steps from the same spot. I've seen other TMs just standing in a corner at SCO not acknowledging anyone, though, so it doesn't seem like my store watches it closely. They don't make us do full SCO shifts either. They give us a specific time during our cashier shift to be there (never longer than 2 hours) and everyone trades off throughout the day.

Go to GSTL, ETL HR/GE or STL (whomever you think will help you most) and let them know exactly what is going on. They will see how they want to go about this. Assure them that you are definitely willing to work and hardlines is exactly the right place for you. Its beneficial for them because they can call you for backup (as a hardlines team member) and also throw you some shorter cashier shifts (on the 4 hour end) all while seeing that you are cross trained in 2 areas.

That's definitely ideal. I'd be happy to take short cashier shifts and respond to backup calls. My only worries are that 1) They won't understand my situation and think I'm just trying to make excuses to get out of cashiering, especially since I don't have an official DX for my back anymore 2) They will understand, but they'll let me go because they don't have hours/positions for hardlines. I know hours are tough now, and I don't want them to resent me for making things harder for them. I'll think about it though.

I don't know if this is company wide or just my store but there was a note by the time clock saying on Jan 27th Target tm's are allowed to have a chair when asked as long as your not sitting as you bag or whatever.

Standing still for long periods of time isnt good for anyone 😀, my back hurt too when I was a cashier. If you are disabled Target will allow a stool for cashiers, one of the cashiers at my old store had one due to their disability. However if your issue isn’t severe enough then I doubt it, we had a cashier who was almost 8 months pregnant and they gave her a hard time about a stool, they just allowed her to sit on the bagging area counter for a minute rest if it was necessary. It really would be dependent on talking to your supervisor, I would also get a doctors note confirming that standing for a long time is a problem for you.

I don't know if this is company wide or just my store but there was a note by the time clock saying on Jan 27th Target tm's are allowed to have a chair when asked as long as your not sitting as you bag or whatever.
Do you live in California? I’m asking because Walmart was sued by employees there for not being allowed a stool and it was against state law so the employees won the case, so target is probably watching their back now. At my store a disabled employee was allowed to sit while bagging but that was due to their specific disability.

Last edited:
Apparently ASANTS. Nothing like this posted at my store.

Same at my store......

At my store, they've always asked for a dr's note in order to get a stool. You could also get a dr's note that limits your shifts because of back issues. Or you can just ask HR if you could be scheduled for 4-5 hour shifts. My store is pretty accommodating to TMs with health issues.

I would talk to your ETL and explain that you applied for Hardlines (for all the reasons you mentioned above) but got hired for cashier, and you gave it a try but the back issues are as bad as you feared and ask to transfer to another work center. If they say no, then you may have to resign, but my guess is they'll be able to find a way to move you around.

Do you live in California? I’m asking because Walmart was sued by employees there for not being allowed a stool and it was against state law so the employees won the case, so target is probably watching their back now. At my store a disabled employee was allowed to sit while bagging but that was due to their specific disability.

I mean, I live in California myself and I haven't seen anything like that posted at my store. The Walmart thing might help me though. I didn't know that.

I have back issues too even going up for back up cashier is a pain for me. I think you should have spoken up as soon as you were hired if you had applied for sales floor. I think you should definitely talk to your gstl. Maybe even scheduling you for shorter shifts could help.

So the problem may have solved itself. I just checked the new schedule again and realized that although I'm scheduled for the first week, I'm not scheduled at all for the second one. So I'm assuming I'm getting laid off (After a month and 4 days, LOL. But they implied that it would be like this when they hired me since I'm a late seasonal so I'm not bitter or surprised). I'll probably just suck it up for my last 6 shifts, take lots of Tylenol, and start applying to non-cashier jobs ASAP. Thanks for all of the helpful replies! They'll be useful if I ever decide to come back.

im curious as to when a cashier would be able to use their stool, at my old store the moment I had no one to ring up I’d be “shooed” (yes seriously) to go and straighten up my checkout lane or stand in front of the lane until someone came to checkout. No cashier was allowed to just be at the register doing nothing and catch a breather let alone sit, is it more lenient now at target or was it just my evil store?

Last edited:
I think it depends on your GSTL/GSA. Mine don't seem to care that the cashiers are literally just standing there with overflowing bins, coolers that look like crap, abandoned merch on their checklane, baskets under the belts. It would not have flied under past front end leadership but this crop doesn't care unless called out by the ETL/STL.

Anyway, all this to say, I applied for Sales Floor (hardlines specifically) because I thought it would be an excellent fit for me. I .
Typical Target hiring practice, I'm sorry to say.

If you expressed an inkling of an outgoing personality they'll shove you to Cashier and if you get their beloved RedCards you'll probably never get rid of it.

My advice, go to HR and reiterate what you were hired for. Express that you like Target but you accepted a different work center.

I hope you feel better :)

Typical Target hiring practice, I'm sorry to say.

If you expressed an inkling of an outgoing personality they'll shove you to Cashier and if you get their beloved RedCards you'll probably never get rid of it.

My advice, go to HR and reiterate what you were hired for. Express that you like Target but you accepted a different work center.

I hope you feel better :)

I don't have an outgoing personality at all, in fact I have the polar opposite. I'm timid, quiet, awkward, and I have severe social anxiety and zero RedCards so far. Go figure. Thank you :)

Edit: Also, I didn't get hired for sales floor. I applied for logistics, hardlines, and A&A, and when I showed up they told me it was a cashier interview.

Last edited:
I don't have an outgoing personality at all, in fact I have the polar opposite. I'm timid, quiet, awkward, and I have severe social anxiety and zero RedCards so far. Go figure. Thank you :)

Edit: Also, I didn't get hired for sales floor. I applied for logistics, hardlines, and A&A, and when I showed up they told me it was a cashier interview.
I see. I've heard that more often than not. People accept hoping to escape from it.

You're early enough in that you probably can as Cashiers I know are down to 4 and 8 hours a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back