Archived new cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!!! I start my very first day of training Tuesday and I found this website so I thought I would put my miserable amount of questions here if anyone would like to help.

• I was only given a schedule of two training days (I'm a cashier) at orientation so does that mean I will be on the schedule for the week after? and is that all the training I will get?

• During orientation, it was mentioned that asking for a day off could be done online but we never got to that. (I don't need to, I just would like to know for future reference.)

• Will they train me about the red cards? Because I know we have to ask, and I know it will save the guest 5% however that is literally everything I know about them and I don't want to have some miracle of someone agreeing to sign up and I don't know anything about it to answer their question.

• When I go in Tuesday, what do I do?! Our store opens at 8 and I'm supposed to be there at 8. So therefore if I get there at 8 when they unlock the doors, and don't clock in til 8:01/02 is that going to count as me being late? Also, do I clock in or do I have to get my name tag first? Will they take me to my trainer?

I worry a lot, and I stress myself out easily so any help/advice would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance!

1. It's odd that you only have 2 training days, it's usually for the two weeks (4 days). My guess is that yes, that's the only training you get. However, I was on my own lane by myself on my 3rd day of training so 4 days is not necessary. You'll be fine
3. For me, after about 4 shifts I was pulled aside once it got slow and asked what I knew about the red card, and they gave me tips on how to ask, how many I should get a shift, etc then. After that point is when I was expected to start getting them.
4. Get there at 7:55 and if the automatic doors aren't open then use the TM door (were you shown this during orientation?). Go the HR desk, clock in, and say I'm here for my first shift. The HRTM will tell you what to do. My first day I did computer training in TSC. After I finished that I was given a name tag, the HRTM walked me out to the floor, introduced me to a TL who then brought me to a cashier's lane so I can shadow her. It's very likely this shadowing will be the only training you get (it was for me) so make sure to pay attention but don't stress yourself out! You learn a TON in your first shifts on your own, for me every day I learned something new about what to do in different situations. However, cashiering is very easy so you can get it down fast. Good luck!
Edit: i never requested time off when I worked there so i couldn't answer your second question, sorry!

Thank you both! I really hope it all goes well. I'm deaf in one ear and I mentioned that in my interviews. It's never really had any sort of impact on me, and I've been a cashier for nearly a year at a different place and it was never a problem there. But I saw some people wearing headsets at Target? Could you possibly let me in on how that works and does everyone have them? Because if I have that in my good ear then I'm not going to hear anything else outside of it.

I was told about the TM door entrance but they also mentioned that if they don't recognize you they might not let you in... because just anyone could show up there in red and khakis.

Last edited:
But I saw some people wearing headsets at Target? Could you possibly let me in on how that works and does everyone have them? Because if I have that in my good ear then I'm not going to hear anything else outside of it.
The ear pieces are for people who have a walkie (Guest Service, Sales Floor, Cart Attendant) and want to be able to hear the walkie over the noise of the crowd around the store. Chances are since you're a cashier you most likely won't need a walkie unless it's different at other stores.

You'll learn how where to request time off during computer training...but it's not really comprehensive. Once you complete the training, you can either ask your trainer then, or when you actually want to make a request. It's pretty simple and straightforward, you just have to know where to go on eHR.

You'll learn how where to request time off during computer training...but it's not really comprehensive. Once you complete the training, you can either ask your trainer then, or when you actually want to make a request. It's pretty simple and straightforward, you just have to know where to go on eHR.

No one mentioned anything to me about computer training. On my training schedule it just has me listed with another cashier. Is that what I'll most likely be doing Tuesday instead of starting on the register?

No one mentioned anything to me about computer training. On my training schedule it just has me listed with another cashier. Is that what I'll most likely be doing Tuesday instead of starting on the register?
I'm not sure, Leo or another cashier trained person would know better. My first day after orientation was a 4 hour block dedicated to computer training, which covers eHR (where you request time off, submit your tax info, take some "training" courses online). You might do that on your second or third day of training. It seems to be different for everyone at my store. Some do it the first day or orientation, some do it during their first regular shift.

There's a computer workstation program called "eHR".
You'll create a password; your username will be your TM#.
It has various functions like allowing you to set up direct deposit for your paychecks, requesting time off, requesting a discount card if you lose yours, checking out discounts & perks, setting up a 401K, checking your schedule/hours & a lot more. With the exception of looking at your schedule or viewing your paycheck (which can be done at home), these other functions can only be done at a store workstation.

as someone who never got computer training-- it's not hard to request time off. your TL/ETL or any HRTM should be able to take 5 minutes to show you.

Cashier training is cashier training-- not computer/eHR training (at least at my store)

When I walked in for my first full shift, I went straight to the GSTL and told him I was a cashier. He asked me if I was comfortable with cashiering (at the time I was very green) so I said I wasnt. He then had me shadow a cashier for a couple of days until I got my legs

As far as computer training, your HR TL/TM will help set you up with that. As far as time off requests, I personally didn't ask about that until I wanted time off, but they will have you set up your password on eHR at the very minimum. Of course, questions are welcome, so be sure to ask if they come to mind!

there are instructions by the computer on how to set up your password for the first time. once you're in eHR, go to MyTime Self Service, and there's an option to request time off. Make sure to let your ETL know you did, as they have to approve it within a few days or the request will be auto rejected (hat tip to HRZone for that info)

Also, regarding your redcard question:

first and foremost, read about the benefits of the redcard here: Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

If the guest wants to sign up, grab a redcard T&C packet (should be right in the drawer under the register) and scan the barcode on the top. the card reader will guide the guest through the process. you will need to scan their ID at the end, and if they want debit version, you'll need a blank check. Ask any experienced cashier and they can help you.

One magic phrase that would have made my early forays into cashiering go so much more smoothly: "Can you show me how you did that?" Whether it was requesting change, taking off spider wraps, or adjusting a price based on guest challenge, nobody taught me how to do these things. They just did them for me in a snap. It's great that it gets the line moving, but I didn't want to be that person who always needs help and has her light blinking all the time...

If it's busy at the time, make a mental note and try to ask your GSA/GSTL to slowly take you through things you are having trouble with.

I started as a seasonal Cashier back in December and on my orientation we went through everything with the store and i got my regular online training then and my badge. The next day i came back for my first training and my training basically was 2 hours alone reading the guide book in training mode then once i got use to the system i shadowed a lovely lady for about 30 mins and she let me try a couple times then i was alone to the world. i guess it depends on the store but my experience was very sink or swim.
Also opening shifts if you get there a couple mins early there should be a door that they let TMs in but if you dont know just try and find someone going in and kind of follow them from a distance, thats what i did :p, and at my store you dont get marked late until around 5 mins after you are scheduled so you should be fine

You guys are amazing. Lol thanks for all the help so far. I will ask someone about the eHR(?) thing at some point during my first shift if they never bring it up because it wasn't mentioned in orientation but it's mentioned on a paper I have that is inside the folder I got at orientation. They didn't mention anything about any computer training but I actually hope I do get that. The more training I get the better. I really want to do well and not be annoying and constantly needing help if they only train me for those two days.

Good things to ask!!
• how to change receipt paper when you run out
• how to request change
• how to unlock spider wraps and open those boxes that movies are in
• how to process a payment with a check
• how to process WIC (if your store does this)
General things to know:
• scan all items before scanning coupons
• since cartwheel discounts are taken off after you press total, this can be scanned at any time
• count bags as you go, it's v annoying when the cashier asks the guest "how many bags did you use" and then the guest has to stop and count them in their basket when you could just mentally do it
• if a item of clothing doesn't have a tag with a barcode to scan, look for the tiny white tag that says target with the number on the inside and type it in. No one told me this for weeks and I was struggling.
• download the target app so if someone has a price challenge that seems crazy you can look up the item and show them the correct price. Or if something has no barcode and no number to type in you can find it with the price in the app and enter it as a no barcode (I've done this with shirts and like random pots)

Even if eHR is not brought up, you'll inevitably learn about it. As that's where the financial stuff + Vacation requests etc. are located ☺

Also, if you do need help and a GSTL/GSA isn't available, ask fellow TMs nearby, but don't yell across the lanes lol (Had it happen today)

Good things to ask!!
• how to change receipt paper when you run out
• how to request change
• how to unlock spider wraps and open those boxes that movies are in
• how to process a payment with a check
• how to process WIC (if your store does this)
General things to know:
• scan all items before scanning coupons
• since cartwheel discounts are taken off after you press total, this can be scanned at any time
• count bags as you go, it's v annoying when the cashier asks the guest "how many bags did you use" and then the guest has to stop and count them in their basket when you could just mentally do it
• if a item of clothing doesn't have a tag with a barcode to scan, look for the tiny white tag that says target with the number on the inside and type it in. No one told me this for weeks and I was struggling.
• download the target app so if someone has a price challenge that seems crazy you can look up the item and show them the correct price. Or if something has no barcode and no number to type in you can find it with the price in the app and enter it as a no barcode (I've done this with shirts and like random pots)

You are literally my favorite person right now. I have a friend who works at Target (he stocks and hasn't been trained on a register yet) but he has given me really vague answers to my questions or doesn't have an answer because he has a different position. But bless you. I'm gonna screenshot this so I'll remember these questions and these tips.

I'm very familiar with WIC, because we do it where I am now so maybe that part will be an easy transition at least.

Also, I plan on asking my trainer this but isnt there a limit to the amount of coupons a guest can use? And is that limit on the type of item itself or for the whole transaction?

I didn't even know that eHr existed for a solid month but finally figured it out and it's very self explanatory... I did have to call the number multiple times to actually get a functioning password though

Also, if you do need help and a GSTL/GSA isn't available, ask fellow TMs nearby, but don't yell across the lanes lol (Had it happen today)
Gotcha! I read that you can check your schedule on there so that's a reason I mainly want it set up.

Also with the coupons just generally scan over them seeing if the date is legit like if one is for feb 29th 2017 it's fake as it's not really a date kind of thing and if it says "one per transaction" but of Course if you don't know always call over the gstl

The time schedule website is Request Rejected
and the eHr is
Target : Expect More. Pay Less. they both use the same login and so the username is your TM number and you can try your temp password which it says what it is on the first link and if that doesn't work there is a number you can call that's going to ask for your TM number and last 4 of your social and it will give you a temp password.
The number is 612-304-4357 For the password reset hotline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back