New ETL

As an incoming ETL-HR, what would you like me to know?

Over the years I worked at Target on the Sales Floor, as a Groceries FA, as Front End GSA, and now, well I have no clue what I am anymore, one thing stands out: We all wonder where ETL’s hide. Why, when we see them, they just walk by as if we are a fixture saying nothing, not even a glance of recognition. (We can stand in their way and some still don’t greet us.) Why don’t they know our names especially when its worn on our shirts? If they do stop to recognize us, their canned talking points is not only easily recognized, and despised because it is NOT sincere, a canned talking point does not adequately answer our inquiry, “Hi, how are you today?” (Interpretation: Are you real or are you a store mannequin?)

This is probably the best advice here. Target ETL's, in general, are made up of the kids in school who had to cram the night before a test because they spent most of their time in school socializing. Everyone from Region leadership down was promoted with this mentality (because they are the "cool" kids) and it shows. You keep them at the job by keeping their egos inflated, which means the culture is that the ETLs are better than everyone else. Pretty straight forward.

This is speaking to the Store Leaders helping or damaging the morale of your Team Members.

My store is a high volume Target. Years ago when the store closed at 10 pm, it was normal for us to not be allowed to leave the store until midnight or later because so many areas still needed go backs put up and to be zoned to help the opening team out.

One night the closing TL called me on the walkie and told me to come to the men's department to do a "pick up". I was working in the infant department so I stopped to go to men's and when I got there, all I saw was ONE shirt on the floor. Yep - one shirt was on the floor that HE saw, and that he told ME to come pick up. Was he really that occupied that he couldn't pick up the shirt and rehang it?

When we were heading to the time clock to finally go home, this closing TL chastised us, when he said overhead for us all to hear, that he was disappointed in us for not getting everything finished.

Talk about that being a morale buster.

As an incoming ETL-HR, what would you like me to know?

For reference: I am coming in as an HR from another retail company with over a decade of management experience. The degree doesn't matter, though I have one and I am working on another. We all know that's just window dressing. I've worked as a cashier, as an online ordering shopper, as a logistics and ordering person. I know retail is hard and I know the hours suck.

But aside from the travails of retail work, what should I know going in, as someone who is new to Target as a company?

Thanks.
Welcome!

I'm currently 6 months in role as an ETL-HR. Feel free to PM or reach out if you have any questions regarding the position. The biggest tip I can give you is to pay attention to whoever is training you, don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how "stupid" they may sound.

You should be able to work through your team of HR Experts, which will eliminate the need for you to be in your office so much. By doing this, it gives you time to be on the sales floor working alongside your team, and getting the general vibe and morale of the store. Walking chats should be done daily, especially at a time like this. The biggest focus right now should be the safety of your team.

Welcome!

I'm currently 6 months in role as an ETL-HR. Feel free to PM or reach out if you have any questions regarding the position. The biggest tip I can give you is to pay attention to whoever is training you, don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how "stupid" they may sound.

You should be able to work through your team of HR Experts, which will eliminate the need for you to be in your office so much. By doing this, it gives you time to be on the sales floor working alongside your team, and getting the general vibe and morale of the store. Walking chats should be done daily, especially at a time like this. The biggest focus right now should be the safety of your team.
I remember your original name. You will succeed, I watched you over the years, just like rock lobster.

ETL-HR is not really a true HR job, be prepared to spend most of your day pushing freight and dealing with guests. If you try to sit in your office and do the actual HR work the team may hold it against you.

Just keep your expectations in check, don’t expect anyone to understand what you’re working on and don’t play favorites.

Last edited:
Back