Archived New for us - Is this how it works for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo....my 4:30am - 6:30am childcare called me to say they could not be here tomorrow. I work at 5 and will not be able to come in until 7 because of this. I call to let the LOD know and am told that unless I am on the logistics team (I am not) I have to follow the 2-hour window rule. Ummmmm......nobody is there at 3 am. Up until this month we have been able to let them know ahead of time if we are not going to be in for a shift or late, etc. I was told that this makes it "fair for everyone". What the hell does that even mean???? What fairness are we talking about??? I was going to offer to stay later, but now I have to get up at 3:30 anyhow. I asked if this meant I could tell them when I show up at 7 that I couldn't make it in until 7 as long as I was 5 minutes early to make it within the 2 hours. I was told it's just to be fair to everyone. 'Splain yourself, LUCY!!!!!

You gave plennty of notice, it should not be a problem. My store apprecaites any way of advance notice a tm not coming or being late. I would call back & talk to hr or your etl.

You gave plennty of notice, it should not be a problem. My store apprecaites any way of advance notice a tm not coming or being late. I would call back & talk to hr or your etl.

It IS a problem. I was told that I had to call between 2 hours before and 2 hours after the beginning of the shift. Outside of that time frame is a NCNS. This is ludicrous! I have FMLA which I don't usually have to use. I did tonight. Still have to call in tomorrow to let them know I'll be 2 hours late (my son has nursing care, not just a sitter), but it won't be a NCNS if it isn't in the timeframe. It still seems wrong for everyone, though.

Uh, what? At every job I've ever had, it's always been that you have to call at least two hours before the shift starts, and calling after the two hour mark is a NCNS. Whoever told you that you can't call more than two hours ahead of time is wrong. Why is giving more notice a bad thing?

This sounds like yet another case of MPOTF (making policy on the fly).
Far to often E's will look at best policy and give it their own little twist to try and solve a problem or give it their own little stamp.
Not taking your call to 'fair' to everyone is ridiculous.

It IS a problem. I was told that I had to call between 2 hours before and 2 hours after the beginning of the shift. Outside of that time frame is a NCNS. This is ludicrous! I have FMLA which I don't usually have to use. I did tonight. Still have to call in tomorrow to let them know I'll be 2 hours late (my son has nursing care, not just a sitter), but it won't be a NCNS if it isn't in the timeframe. It still seems wrong for everyone, though.

wow.. that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard... you gave a HUGE notice... the faster you let them know the better it is.... i think that lod was just being a dick...

This is the stupidest thing ever but it is most likely true. they have pulled this at our store. it is just ETLs and the LOD being lazy and not wanting to process those calls. keeping it in the window ensures that the LOD for that shift handles it (in theory). since probably no stores are worrying about filling shifts and covering the floor anymore they have even less incentive to take it early.

however - most stores are run by some human beings who appreciate the earliest notice they can get since it should in some way affect them at some point.

This sounds like yet another case of MPOTF (making policy on the fly).
Far to often E's will look at best policy and give it their own little twist to try and solve a problem or give it their own little stamp.
Not taking your call to 'fair' to everyone is ridiculous.

MPOTF? Must be a new acronym for corruption.

That sound ridiculous. Some of my team would call the closing LOD and then they would let me know in a shift report. I appreciated the advance notice so I didn't have to go running for a phone and could adjust my line as needed. They would even have the option of trying to get someone else in earlier especially if it really shorted me on the unload.

Soooo....my 4:30am - 6:30am childcare called me to say they could not be here tomorrow. I work at 5 and will not be able to come in until 7 because of this. I call to let the LOD know and am told that unless I am on the logistics team (I am not) I have to follow the 2-hour window rule. Ummmmm......nobody is there at 3 am. Up until this month we have been able to let them know ahead of time if we are not going to be in for a shift or late, etc. I was told that this makes it "fair for everyone". What the hell does that even mean???? What fairness are we talking about??? I was going to offer to stay later, but now I have to get up at 3:30 anyhow. I asked if this meant I could tell them when I show up at 7 that I couldn't make it in until 7 as long as I was 5 minutes early to make it within the 2 hours. I was told it's just to be fair to everyone. 'Splain yourself, LUCY!!!!!

This reminds me of an ETL that we had at one of my former stores who said we had to "push" a pallet jack, instead of pulling it (she thought a pallet jack was the same as a tub or flat). Who the hell ever heard of that? Especially when the pallets are above your head and you can't see in front of you. Some ETLs are so brain dead that they don't have common sense. I would talk to your HR first, then if you don't get any satisfaction, I would call your HRBP. I wouldn't give my name, although your store will probably figure it was you who called.

The two-hour rule means calling MORE than TWO HOURS before your shift, not exactly two hours before your shift starts. What an ETL moron! Where do they get these "leaders?"

Last edited:
It IS a problem. I was told that I had to call between 2 hours before and 2 hours after the beginning of the shift.
not quite true - you can call in as soon as you know you will have a problem, even the day before. As it states in the team member handbook, if you work an early shift, call at beginning of shift - or as soon as possible.
If your shift starts very early - just call in asap.

It IS a problem. I was told that I had to call between 2 hours before and 2 hours after the beginning of the shift.
not quite true - you can call in as soon as you know you will have a problem, even the day before. As it states in the team member handbook, if you work an early shift, call at beginning of shift - or as soon as possible.
If your shift starts very early - just call in asap.
Nope. Talked to HR about this today. She said that it needs to be within the 2 hour before/after start of shift. Our logistics teams have a voicemail box that they can call. I asked her to show me where this is written as I'd never heard that you couldn't call in earlier. I got up at 3:30 for my 7 am shift so that I could call in. I guess they have been talking about this at huddle. Since we are very short on equipment only the people that have walkies allocated to them (which does not usually include the special teams) know that there is a huddle. I must have missed this one! She said she'd get back to me.

At my store we can call the night before to let target know we won't make it in the next day, they like the extra time so they can fill our spot.

You could probably as HROC (formerly known as Team member services) but it may boil down to a store's latitude (which sucks).

Nope. Talked to HR about this today. She said that it needs to be within the 2 hour before/after start of shift. Our logistics teams have a voicemail box that they can call. I asked her to show me where this is written as I'd never heard that you couldn't call in earlier. I got up at 3:30 for my 7 am shift so that I could call in. I guess they have been talking about this at huddle. Since we are very short on equipment only the people that have walkies allocated to them (which does not usually include the special teams) know that there is a huddle. I must have missed this one! She said she'd get back to me.

Something doesn't seem right here. so your saying that your ETL and HR told you that you can't call in for your shift until two hours before your shift? and that if you called three hours before they are going to put you on Corrective action? No, that is NOT target policy and your ETL and HR are wrong. You can be coached if you don't call 2 hours before the start of your shift or 2 hours after your shift. Check your hand book....... I think something is being lost in translation here.

I really dislike the whole - well we talked about it at a huddle - as if because it was spoken at a huddle and now it's law - and everyone is supposed to know. How would the entire store know based on a few people hearing it at a huddle? And don't get me started about it being best practice since each store seems to make its own rules - and then change then because

some
one
said
some
thing
about
that
at
a
huddle

yeah.

Something doesn't seem right here. so your saying that your ETL and HR told you that you can't call in for your shift until two hours before your shift? and that if you called three hours before they are going to put you on Corrective action? No, that is NOT target policy and your ETL and HR are wrong. You can be coached if you don't call 2 hours before the start of your shift or 2 hours after your shift. Check your hand book....... I think something is being lost in translation here.

This IS what I'm saying. Got up at 3:45 today so I could call in for the 5-7 part of my shift that I would be late for today - and yes, HR knew that I would not have a pcw for my son for 2 mornings PLUS they are FMLA hours. Crazy.

Lol, stupidest thing i've heard in a while... "please give us less notice". Wrong and dumb, it's not target policy, your E's are... wrong and dumb.

Agreed.
At our store, it's preferred that you call *at least* 2 hrs before your shift start-time; *no later* than 2 hrs after shift start-time to avoid it being keyed in as NCNS.

At my store your call must be "at least" two hours before your shift begins.......not any later then that. Once you reach that time of "less than" two hours then you get a NCNS. Coming in late has its own issues, but letting the LOD know that you will be 25 minutes late doesn't look good.

We had a TM who wrote down the wrong shift time and ended up coming in about 2 hours late......even though he came to work (at what he thought his scheduled time was) he was marked as a NCNS.
This guy worked in our elex dept and never seemed to be late.... so why didn't they "let it slide" this time?BTW, the TM who came in ended up choosing to go home since he'd already been marked as NCNS.

At my store your call must be "at least" two hours before your shift begins.......not any later then that. Once you reach that time of "less than" two hours then you get a NCNS. Coming in late has its own issues, but letting the LOD know that you will be 25 minutes late doesn't look good.

Are you saying that if you are scheduled at 6AM that you have to call in before 4am or you will be marked as a NCNS? If that's the case, then I have to say your executive team there is not only wrong but their being a bit of an @$$ on this. It is only required that you call before your shift, not 2 hours before it.

You know what, if I have the time tomorrow, I'll print up the policy on this and type it up on here to put this to rest(again, if I remember, memory has been shot lately, lol). I can understand when certain rules get bent to accommodate certain situations, but this is going to the realm of absurdity and really isn't benefiting anyone other than lazy management who can't work with their own team well.

The two-hour rule makes sense for an early morning shift if you work in an overnight store where there's an ETL in the building. But if, say, you work at 4AM and your store is a 4AM store (or 6AM in a 6AM store), then that's not fair. No one's gonna be in the building at 2AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back