Archived New guy but got laid off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, So I'm new to Target (and to this forum)

So I have a situation that left me confused, So Ive been working for Target for the past two-three weeks and everything was good, got my paycheck biweekly and etc.. So apparently I got a call from an HR dude saying,

"You're not allowed to work anymore... We forgot to send your I9 (something with 9) to Target and we have to wait for a confirmation from them to allow you to work so right now, its illegal for you to work(or something). We will call you back when you can work again"..

At that point I was stunned and I was like "Oh.. How long will this process take?". He handed the phone to some superior or something and he was like, "Its not our fault that this happened, we have to wait for you to be approved from the federal?( I didnt quite understand at this point). So then I asked him "Okay, how long will this process take?" and he replied "I just said I don't know". At this point.. I was just like okay well thank you for your response and hope that this gets solved soon!.. then he hung up..
And I'm not mad or anything, just confused I guess..:wacko:

TD;LR: Worked, everything was a-okay. Now not allowed to work, because they didn't fax my paperwork on time.

Sorry for the long read guys.. basically my question is
1. Does this happen often?
2. If anyone knows how long this process takes (that'll be helpful, because I want to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday so bad :()

It's totally their fault it happened.
They didn't get your I9 to the feds in time and now they are covering their asses by taking you off the clock.
Whoever the HR ETL is should be spanked.

Does it happen often?
Not to people who are paying attention but I guess when you are hiring big blocks of people it's possible to have paperwork fall through the cracks.

How long will it take to fix?
Damned if I know. You're talking about the feds and a mistake that could have only just been put into the system the minute they were talking to you.

Annie, you out there?
Any ideas?

I9s are a US Customs/Immigration/ICE form that documents your legal ability to work in the US. They don't need to be really "sent" anywhere, the employer is simply required to verify the eligible documentation, fill out the form, and keep it on file for a period of years for inspection upon request by the .gov. My guess is that Target does this record-keeping at a >store level so they need to send it up the chain to be verified/stored. As to how long that takes I don't know, someone who's worked as HR or whatnot would be more qualified to answer.

Thank you for your response guys, I really appreciate it! :)

I see, but then I don't understand why I was still able to work for the past few weeks and received a paycheck from them (unless that's a whole different scenario haha).. man its so sudden sorry for the questions and such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back