Archived New Hardlines TL — ?s about Electronics Boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

New TL and electronics falls under my area even though we’re pretty much all over the floor.

I’m wondering what other TLs keep posted at the boat as far as a daily schedule, and what that daily schedule includes?

I tried letting them do what they usually do under previous leadership but things have not been getting completed and I feel like a routine would really help.

Another huge problem has been loafing around with TGT tech.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you.

I agree with HLM on the overall goal. The more they have to do the less opportunity they have to loaf or get really off task. One caveat to that is the tasks have to be fair in the eyes of the team, so not a list of things that they physically can't get done or anything.
Another consideration to make is that you should be able to get these things done as well. If you wouldn't expect yourself to be able to do something, it's not a great idea to ask them to do it.

On a slightly different note, I find it helpful to make sure that the appropriate metrics for AAR/SRP/Sales are posted at the boat weekly to keep the team up to date and help keep them involved in how their work affects the section. I hope that helps!

Edit: I personally find a checklist to be useful in holding the team accountable to tasks, but see if you're able to find out what the electronics team prefers with regard to method of communication/accountability

Last edited:
We have a more mental checklist for the Electronics crew at my store we all know what should be able to get done each day so it helps. We do have a communication binder for sales/audit & outs/product knowledge/notes

A typical day for Electronics:
Audit/Outs=Each Day scan/zone/dust/clean leave info on what’s done and any additional notes
Sales= write down previous day sales/comp%
Review AAR in binder
Check TWT in binder to see if any sales planners/revisions are upcoming or due for the week and complete when need be

Our new TL doesn’t even want us to do any of this and only wants outs scanned on non truck days. It’s the biggest thing The team back there disagrees and disregards on. Our floor pad has been consistently full with very little amount of outs by doing what we do every single day. All the stuff on TWT for electronics has been staying up to date since we keep on that compared to other areas of the store being a week to 2 weeks behind. When we had no TL overseeing that area it didn’t falter it stayed stable due to the confidence in the team on what the everyday tasks are. The only thing now is we want to be able to push our own part of the truck again, but that’s a whole different issue/story.

We have a more mental checklist for the Electronics crew at my store we all know what should be able to get done each day so it helps. We do have a communication binder for sales/audit & outs/product knowledge/notes

Audit/Outs=Each Day scan/zone/dust/clean leave info on what’s done and any additional notes
Review AAR in binder
Check TWT in binder to see if any sales planners/revisions are upcoming or due for the week and complete when need be

Our new TL doesn’t even want us to do any of this and only wants outs scanned on non truck days. It’s the biggest thing The team back there disagrees and disregards on. Our floor pad has been consistently full with very little amount of outs by doing what we do every single day. All the stuff on TWT for electronics has been staying up to date since we keep on that compared to other areas of the store being a week to 2 weeks behind. When we had no TL overseeing that area it didn’t falter it stayed stable due to the confidence in the team on what the everyday tasks are. The only thing now is we want to be able to push our own part of the truck again, but that’s a whole different issue/story.

Yeah I know when I first started they were being pulled to toys and seasonal a lot but with our volume and catching up on resets we’ve all been staying back on the carpet but thank you for the advice.

Review AAR in binder

Thanks. Right now it’s a basic list, audit, zone, scan outs. Everyone seems ok with it. Claimed they’ve kept up with cleaning but it was rough and dusty when I started. Precious TL was very buddy buddy with everyone so people weren’t used to daily tasks. Plus we’re pretty low in the group on AAR & SRP

I know part of the electronics training said they should always be seen as "working", ie having something in hand to put up, sort, straighten because guests approach working TMs more readily

Luckily two are cross trained previously on POG but good tips, thank you.

Anytime the team of 4 of us can’t wait til the execs see that the TL they hired for e&f is basically a glorified toys tm and that’s all. But at least we aren’t at the point or never come close to how our sister store is at the moment.

Anytime the team of 4 of us can’t wait til the execs see that the TL they hired for e&f is basically a glorified toys tm and that’s all. But at least we aren’t at the point or never come close to how our sister store is at the moment.

Yeah kind of sounds like my predecessor.

My biggest problem currently is being “global” (never in electronics or toys) then trying to handle problems that arise because I’m not in my area. All in all though it’s getting better.

Yeah kind of sounds like my predecessor.

My biggest problem currently is being “global” (never in electronics or toys) then trying to handle problems that arise because I’m not in my area. All in all though it’s getting better.

Yea the global thing I have to laugh at my store none of the other TLs are global and when they have to cover breaks for Electronics they’ll ask for the keys but never step a foot in the dept. call box goes off they’ll call for someone else to clear it and take care of the guest yet they are the key holder? There’s some tls that even micromanage some of the team back there, but cant take care of their own workload.

Hello All,

New TL and electronics falls under my area even though we’re pretty much all over the floor.

I’m wondering what other TLs keep posted at the boat as far as a daily schedule, and what that daily schedule includes?

I tried letting them do what they usually do under previous leadership but things have not been getting completed and I feel like a routine would really help.

Another huge problem has been loafing around with TGT tech.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you.

Hope all is going well for you and slowly seeing good things from your team as well

Cleaning! Dusting! Followed by more dusting!

As much as I hated Moble when we had them, they did all of the dusting and cleaning around electronics and I was thankful of that.

Thank you. Definitely better. Some new faces with tech background has made it even better.

Your welcome. Been prepping My Team ( well the small crew of us) for 4th Quarter being the only veteran electronics team member. & with the toybook and many things coming up the next two weeks via TWT the team is prepped and ready. Yet the actual TL for us is clueless on everything. Hopefully the Etls see this but we will see. I hope ur team has gotten good with routines because heading into the 4th Quarter they will be crucial esp during crazy times

My advice for improving AAR and SRP rates is to start by focusing less on selling techniques, and more on getting your team onboard with approaching every guest. Most stores I've seen have a culture where the electronics team does a relatively low percentage of the actual electronics transactions, because they tend to be busy tasking. Instead, mobile and the front end get the lion's share.

Challenge your team to fix this. If they see a guest walking away with a smaller TV, they should offer to ring them out. Similarly, talk to your mobile reps and ask that they hand off all (non-phone) transactions to your team so long as they aren't already busy. Eventually you can work in more sales techniques, but if your team doesn't actually do the sale, there's basically zero chance of getting an attachment or replacement plan anyways.

Similarly, talk to your mobile reps and ask that they hand off all (non-phone) transactions to your team so long as they aren't already busy. Eventually you can work in more sales techniques, but if your team doesn't actually do the sale, there's basically zero chance of getting an attachment or replacement plan anyways

In my store the Mobile Rep and Electronics TM will use the other's speed ID to ring in something for the other. On the rare occasion when the Electronics TM has a few minutes downtime they will start the process of activating a new phone and pass it off to the Mobile Rep when they're available . The 2 partner rather well with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back