Archived New Hire- Lot's of ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure what they told you to bring, probably is your name tag if you have one already,
clock in and talk to the team lead they should have given you a training schedule that lists the days you work and your trainer.. at least that's what we do at my store. if they didnt your team lead should tell you who your working with and training with and they will get you going.
when you are done training you will have a routine down hopefully, if you are scheduled flow you'll go with the flow team and do that if your backroom youll clock in and start pulling batches etc. there should be someone there that communicates what you should be working on.
if you were hired backroom id imagine your second week would be backroom but its different at each store i think. over all your trainer and tl should give you the low down on when to take breaks etc. I don't think the backroom is difficult just busy.

Go in, punch in using your TM number, if it makes multiple obnoxious beeps, step aside and find the team lead. They can fix that. For flow you'll ask for your trainer and follow them. Backroom it will be the same,but you'll need to sign out a PDA and grab a holster, your trainer should show you this process. You'll train on how to work freight to the floor with flow and then how to get it put away with the backroom. There is no way to magically know the backroom simply by learning flow so it will be two weeks of actual training.

Backroom is easy, flow is even easier. Flow will set you up to understand quirks of the backroom before you head there, assuming your store has a good process going. There is a learning plan for your training and you'll learn the routines quickly. Be prepared to be sore once you get into backroom though. You will be lifting and climbing ladders all day. It will suck. You will build muscles and get to brag to your friends that you're essentially being paid to work out.

If you're part of the 4am truck team, generally everyone takes their breaks together. When I was at my previous store, backroom would take their first 15 after flow team, but that was mostly due to us not being pleasant anytime before 7am.

Other important tips for backroom:
Stay hydrated and caffeinated, if you need the perk.
Prepare to sleep after every shift until your body adjust to the new wake up time. It's brutal at first but there is nothing more relaxing than sunrise during your first break.
Don't push yourself too hard. If you genuinely need help lifting something, ask. It's not easy to carry 30+lbs up a ladder and maintain your 3points of of contact.
If you haven't met your ETL team or STL, ask to. I didn't know who the STL was for two months. I had a TL threaten to fire me and didn't even know she had any power over me. Knowing these people will benefit you in the long run.

Greetings and salutations.
Don't worry too much.
The first couple of days they should have somebody to guide you.
It's after that when things get hairy.

I started off in flow and then eventually made my way to backroom, id say backroom is more challenging but once you get everything down, you will be a pro!

just a few things to know about flow and backroom...

for flow
- DONT BE LAZY
- a box should be opened and stocked on the shelf within 30 seconds (this is the rule at my store)
- push to the piece (this meens make sure you fill whatever it is your stocking to the MAXIMUM AMOUNT, since you will be in backroom, you will find out why this will help your backroom team ALOT.)
- if they throw you in the truck to unload it, make sure to stretch VIGOROUSLY and use proper lifting methods, same for backroom, ( i threw out my back not doing this so make sure you do it!)
- since you are new, and you dont understand something, ASK QUESTIONS, that is the most important thing overall, dont be shy, any team member, team leader or ETL will help you out.

for backroom
- DONT BE LAZY!!!
- stretch like i said before
- ask questions like i said before
- make sure the batteries on your equipment are fully charged ( it sucks running all the way across the store to get new batteries)
- IMPORTANT**backroom is ALOT different than working on the sales floor, its almost like a totally different world, so make sure you understand what your doing before you make decisions on your own, make sure you take notes on all the functions of the PDA (thats what i did).
- make sure your trainer stands there with you and watch you perform backroom tasks, backroom becomes easier with time but is is VERY EASY TO F**K UP.

but overall, dont sweat it, and just be the best you can be, as for your backroom tasks, if you need any help with something you dont understand, message me and ile help you out.

I guess I should update this since today was my first day. I worked flow today I was told to go with someone and they quickly explained the whole line process. I couldn't remember the aisle numbers for what pallet to put it on, because while they explained I'm trying to watch it. Also doesn't help I don't know what aisles have what. I missed so many boxes it was pretty bad and I'm pretty sure I put things where they didn't go. Then we bowled merchandise and put it on the shelves which was easy. The rest of the day was spent scanning items and putting them on the shelves. I'm not going to lie, but I hated it the whole time I was their. When I was on my lunch break I wanted to just end lunch then clock out then call HR and tell them it wasn't going to work out. I keep telling myself that it will get better as it goes on and next week I'll be in the backroom and won't have to be there at 4, but I really don't know. It's not like I didn't want to work or the work was hard or I didn't like the people. It just felt like hardly any training so I don't really know what's going on, on top of feeling really disorganized for some reason which I hate because I need structure. /rant

Flow sucks, hardcore. I would never willingly work flow unless my only other choice was cashing. Push through and if the backroom doesn't work out for you, talk to your team lead and HR. Target has so many different positions and if they have openings, they might work with you and put you elsewhere. Just don't be afraid to speak up. Ask questions about the training if you have to, if your trainer gets pissy that's not cool. I hope your next day goes better!

I guess I should update this since today was my first day. I worked flow today I was told to go with someone and they quickly explained the whole line process. I couldn't remember the aisle numbers for what pallet to put it on, because while they explained I'm trying to watch it. Also doesn't help I don't know what aisles have what. I missed so many boxes it was pretty bad and I'm pretty sure I put things where they didn't go. Then we bowled merchandise and put it on the shelves which was easy. The rest of the day was spent scanning items and putting them on the shelves. I'm not going to lie, but I hated it the whole time I was their. When I was on my lunch break I wanted to just end lunch then clock out then call HR and tell them it wasn't going to work out. I keep telling myself that it will get better as it goes on and next week I'll be in the backroom and won't have to be there at 4, but I really don't know. It's not like I didn't want to work or the work was hard or I didn't like the people. It just felt like hardly any training so I don't really know what's going on, on top of feeling really disorganized for some reason which I hate because I need structure. /rant

dont feel discouraged, your new, its expected for new people to make mistakes. As for the training, since its flow, its very fast paced, and they dont really like to just stand their and explain to you what to do, thats how it was for me when i was in flow and backroom, you just ask questions, and since you said this was your first job, its honestly not bad, my first job i worked at a metal foundry with a bunch of sh**ty people and no breaks were allowed, and that was HARD ASS WORK, flow team is a blessing compared to that, just keep your head up and dont quit, because what do you prove to yourself when you quit?

The line can be really confusing and overwhelming for new members. Hopefully, the people around you remember what it feels like to not know what they're doing.

Worry about accuracy first, then speed. If you don't know where something goes, ASK. There should be signs that will display either aisle numbers or they will use the block numbers (big number on the right side of the label) to tell you where to put something. I'm not sure what your line looks like exactly but it should be really organized. The good thing about working the line is that everyone will back each other up. If you're falling behind, that's okay. I guarantee all those people had no idea what they were looking at when they started.

If you don't understand something specific, we can also help.

Don't give up. The first few days at any job are going to be a little overwhelming and can be somewhat frustrating. The best advice I can give you is to watch what your coworkers are doing and follow their lead, ask questions if you're unsure of something, and relax. You're going to make mistakes...this is expected. Learn from them, move on, and don't make the same mistake again. You'll get faster and better at the job of you engage and keep working at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back