Archived New market TL...help meeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help guys. New to this forum, and Target as a company. External hire, and I have been with the company for about a month, hired as a market team lead, also overseeing Starbucks and the beverage bar. I had two days of market training, and about a day and a half of Starbucks training. A month in, and I’m still pretty lost on routines...and everything, to be honest. I know a lot of this I’ll need to figure out on my own, but some guidance would be appreciated. I’ve utilized workbench for quite a few things, I guess I’m just frustrated with how this first month has gone, and feel like I’m drowning here, and was basically thrown to the wolves. The previous market team lead who trained me the two days didn’t have much confidence in the amount of training I was receiving, and flat out told me I would most likely fail. My PA tells me I’m failing. I’m not sure what to do. I’ve considered sitting down with my SF ETL, and explaining that I’m not sure how to succeed here, when I’m not given the proper tools, but I’m not sure it’ll do any good. Help!

What specifically do you need help with? Please be specific, every work center and store needs personalized approach.
This forum can help you with technical know-how and guidance. However, time management and prioritization is something you have to develop , in time.
WB is a good place to look up routines.

Thanks guys, for validating that I wasn’t getting enough training. I ended up asking for more, and my ETL HR was completely understanding, thankfully. My teams need quite a bit of help, which is the main problem. My market team is mostly very solid, but slacks with AM culling opening market, and we end up with expired meat on the floor. I literally found a package of steaks that was TEN DAYS over the use by/freeze by date. Starbucks is my main problem. They aren’t a solid team, and I’m constantly running into a lack of communication, as far as what they’re out of, coverage, etc, so they seem to take up most of my time at Target.

Thanks guys, for validating that I wasn’t getting enough training. I ended up asking for more, and my ETL HR was completely understanding, thankfully. My teams need quite a bit of help, which is the main problem. My market team is mostly very solid, but slacks with AM culling opening market, and we end up with expired meat on the floor. I literally found a package of steaks that was TEN DAYS over the use by/freeze by date. Starbucks is my main problem. They aren’t a solid team, and I’m constantly running into a lack of communication, as far as what they’re out of, coverage, etc, so they seem to take up most of my time at Target.
Take inventory of your SBUX stock. Organize your stock, and determine your par levels.

I definitely need to. When I’m ordering for Sbucks, it shows inventory as literally over 100+ in stock of everything...cups, lids, paninis, etc. I don’t know what happened before I came, but it looks like I’m being handed a complete mess.

Starbucks is a mandatory 40-80 hours of training if they're skimping you out on that they're in noncompliance with Starbucks and are setting you up for failure.

This is generally done at a different store too. A full 1-2 weeks of training for a TL and less than 4 hours for a TM (but is should be 40 as well).

Meat is far too easy to sell to have it sitting on the floor outdated. Have one person own fresh meat. It shouldn’t be difficult as it’s a fairly small section. That should be their first focus in the morning. Have them work your entire inventory daily and coupon right away. Alternatively, your evening TM could coupon and cull before leaving.

Anyways, coupon the hell outta meat and you never have to donate or toss it. Better to make some money than lose out on the cost entirely.

Meat is far too easy to sell to have it sitting on the floor outdated. Have one person own fresh meat. It shouldn’t be difficult as it’s a fairly small section. That should be their first focus in the morning. Have them work your entire inventory daily and coupon right away. Alternatively, your evening TM could coupon and cull before leaving.

Anyways, coupon the hell outta meat and you never have to donate or toss it. Better to make some money than lose out on the cost entirely.
I coupon meat on Wednesday or Thursday put the coupons on up thru Monday so it will sell over the busy weekend.

Last edited:
I completely agree with the meat. I’m not sure why my market team is so hesitant about slapping those stickers on, but I would much rather sell through it at 50% off, than have to toss it.

As for Starbucks, our STL will not allow an Sbucks TM to order, only I can do it. With my ordering, plus holiday push from DC, we’re ending up with way too much of some stuff, and not enough of others. I need to stress the communication when we’re running low on things, because I’m not finding out until it’s too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back