Archived New opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
So now that Q4 is in the rearview mirror, I spoke with my ETL about stepping down & wanted to see what else I could do. She said they lost a couple people in Food Ave (Target cafe?) & would I be interested. I did fast food when I was in high school & it was fun but I know that this is a different ball game. I said I'd think about it. The TL is a good buddy & he said he could not only use me but might even see if I can learn a little Starbux, too.
Any foodies able to give me the pros & cons?

I think you could do well with Starbux. Like Hardlinesmaster pointed out there are other directions you can go outside of Spot and being a barista is kinda cool anyway.

Looks like Ima gonna be a foodie! I'll be training at FA then learn Starbux (as a sub). That way I can keep my hrs up.
We moved up a TM to GSA for the holidays & they'll take my place.
I'm excited! (OMG, what have I DONE?!)

loll good luck there are more opportunities in food, not to mention the experience you already have. :)

food ave. is cool I guess the boyfriend works in there (yes we work together)... loll

If you can keep up with the clientele (which you probably will have no problems with after some intense training) definitely learn all you can at Starbucks. I don't know if you are in school, but obviously there are Starbucks EVERYWHERE and if you can barista well..

Thanx, guys. The main thing was timing so I didn't leave front end in a bind.
To all that suggested waiting, it was good advice & my ETL definately was on-board with it so no bad vibes with the move.
Just the thought of not dealing with front end another Christmas makes me happy :D

Thx, Imerzan. I remembered what you said about waiting.

No more red cards or forecast books;
No more guests giving dirty looks.
No, wait.....

I honestly have to ask, what are your long term plans? What makes you think this will pay off in the long run?

I know getting rid of the stress and the BS feels good for a while, but in the long run you are seriously hurting your self by doing this. (especially going in to front end food.... possibly the biggest dead end in the entire store) Like you said, you did this when you were in high school. You are going backwards.

I just hate to see another TL shoot themselves in the foot by "stepping down". I have been with the company years, and every TL I have ever seen step down regrets it. Even if they don't admit they regret it, after a few months you notice they are even more miserable than when they were a TL.

As a TL, I have thought about it. But I would never ever do it simply because the negative consequences far outweigh the good.

Basically stepping down is a career ending move. Once you do it, you are pretty much never going to go anywhere with the company again.

So you have to ask yourself these questions. Do you plan on staying with Target or leaving?

If you plan on staying, do you honestly see your self working food or some other TM role the rest of your years with Target?

Red is going the right direction for more options other than spot. Why stopped her now? She has more degrees than I do.

I honestly have to ask, what are your long term plans? What makes you think this will pay off in the long run?

I know getting rid of the stress and the BS feels good for a while, but in the long run you are seriously hurting your self by doing this. (especially going in to front end food.... possibly the biggest dead end in the entire store) Like you said, you did this when you were in high school. You are going backwards.

I just hate to see another TL shoot themselves in the foot by "stepping down". I have been with the company years, and every TL I have ever seen step down regrets it. Even if they don't admit they regret it, after a few months you notice they are even more miserable than when they were a TL.

As a TL, I have thought about it. But I would never ever do it simply because the negative consequences far outweigh the good.

Basically stepping down is a career ending move. Once you do it, you are pretty much never going to go anywhere with the company again.

So you have to ask yourself these questions. Do you plan on staying with Target or leaving?

If you plan on staying, do you honestly see your self working food or some other TM role the rest of your years with Target?

I believe she stated she was stepping down from GSA. Its probably a $0.25 decrease, maybe slightly more. I'd say Red is making the right move. Much less stress...a little less money. And Red, I know you said you would only be cross-trained at starbucks, but once you learn it, try to get into an actual Starbucks. Health benefits are supposedly top notch for a job like that. Much better than where Targets going. . .

As was pointed out, I was not a GSTL but a GSA.
I sought a few TL spots but it became evident I wasn't what they were looking for in terms of a TL. I've earned a degree but, like many others, there aren't currently any openings in my field (which was lucrative at the time I was working on it).
I'm staying at spot only for the benefits & pay since my spouse has neither at the moment & we've still got kids at home. In an earlier time, I might've fought harder to move up the hierarchy but now I'd rather reduce stress. In the 10+ yrs I've been here, the company has changed direction & so have my plans.
Time for a new challenge.
Not all TLs who've stepped down have regrets. Spikegrouchy for one.

I also stepped down with no regrets. I now get a shift differential and moved up in paygrade so the pay difference was not as substantial as it ought to be. I am doing a job that I like (for the most part and pending any more changes). I probably have no regrets because I have never ever ever thought of this as a career and never will. (I have worked in retail for more than 30 years - mostly part time as a second or third job. I also have a degree plus additional schooling. This is the first time that retail is my main job.) The benefits at Target have been very good and my store has been very accomodating - at least until recently - to a unique situation that I have.

Seems like many of us have our "alter egos" - retail by day, but by night....?
Hope things work out, Rarejem.

I know of 3 team leads besides myself who stepped down and are happy. I found another job. The early morning hours were terrible. No sleep, home life etc and no support at work. I make a little less at the new job but make up for it with overtime and the hours are much more human.

As was pointed out, I was not a GSTL but a GSA.
I sought a few TL spots but it became evident I wasn't what they were looking for in terms of a TL. I've earned a degree but, like many others, there aren't currently any openings in my field (which was lucrative at the time I was working on it).
I'm staying at spot only for the benefits & pay since my spouse has neither at the moment & we've still got kids at home. In an earlier time, I might've fought harder to move up the hierarchy but now I'd rather reduce stress. In the 10+ yrs I've been here, the company has changed direction & so have my plans.
Time for a new challenge.
Not all TLs who've stepped down have regrets. Spikegrouchy for one.

Oh, well in that case no big deal then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back