Archived New Red Card Pitches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently it went from not asking at all (right after the breach) to only asking at the prompts and "judiciously" (example given was guests buying groceries) to you must ask every guest, every time prompted or not.

Apparently I did not ask a guest today about a REDcard (not on a prompt) and was given a coaching. My GSTL would not tell me which guest it was that I did not ask so there was no defense. In the time frame between when I arrived and my coaching the only people I intentionally did not ask was someone from Slovenia (no Targets around there) and a deaf lady. Perhaps the guest that I allegedly did not ask already had a REDcard or perhaps I did ask but the person did not see me ask. The only thing I know was that she said "Someone saw you not ask someone about a REDcard." She said it was not on a prompt but it didn't matter, you must ask for every single transaction now because corporate is worried about not getting enough REDcards now.

It's true that I've only had a couple of REDcard applicants since the breach but people should be warned that if you thought Spot was on you about REDcards before, it's going to be much worse now. I'm still having to explain the breach to many guests throughout the day and some people say they are not going to use plastic at Target anymore. So it is difficult to get people signed up, it seems that all the regulars already have one so there are fewer people to ask.

I've been a cashier for over four years now. I'm not going to say this is my first coaching but it does scare me that if I can't start getting REDcards again, I'm going to lose my job. As I understand, they can't exactly fire you for not getting REDcards but they can watch you under a microscope and fire even otherwise high-performing veteran cashiers for "poor performance" since convincing people to sign up for a card is in the job description. There has always been a push from Spot for REDcards and as my GSTL has said in the past, if corporate is on the ETLs, the ETLs will be on the GSTLs and the GSTLs will be on the cashiers and start writing people up or slashing people's hours for not getting enough cards. I do think they should understand that even though it's been six weeks since the breach was discovered, people are still very wary -- even people who are paying with plastic.

Yep, we got the "we need to ask everyone, no exceptions" speech late last week as well. Corporate is back on a kick with them, hardcore.

Yep, we got the "we need to ask everyone, no exceptions" speech late last week as well. Corporate is back on a kick with them, hardcore.

I didn't even get an announcement, just a coaching. I said, "They said the prompts are back so we have to ask at prompts but we're supposed to ease back into it slowly." And she said, "That was three weeks ago." I guess I'm supposed to ask every day if there are any new policy changes because policies seem to change daily now. I just figure if they want me to know what is in the latest email, they should give me an email address rather than threatening my job for not being psychic.

I'm curious to find out what other stores are doing to help motivate team members to get Red Cards? Contests, prizes, etc? Just looking for ways to help team members feel comfortable asking again and also to meet conversion goals?

I'm curious to find out what other stores are doing to help motivate team members to get Red Cards? Contests, prizes, etc? Just looking for ways to help team members feel comfortable asking again and also to meet conversion goals?

Ask all guests all the time, no exceptions. If you back up and don't ask its an automatic documented coaching if you fail to ask. GSTL's have been instructed to hover over the back up cashiers to enforce this. The guest having a red card is not an excuse for not asking, if they have the debit, ask about the credit card, they can be used anywhere.

That was the speech my store got.

Ask all guests all the time, no exceptions. If you back up and don't ask its an automatic documented coaching if you fail to ask. GSTL's have been instructed to hover over the back up cashiers to enforce this. The guest having a red card is not an excuse for not asking, if they have the debit, ask about the credit card, they can be used anywhere.

That was the speech my store got.
Whoever said that does not know what they are talking about. Like the debit card the credit card can only be used a target, unless you have one of the red card visas which are not issued anymore.

I am not surprised communication is not a strength at my store. And they will say that detail doesn't matter if they have the debit, still get them to apply for the credit.

Man writing down what is going on at my store really gives me pause and reason to get out.

Cashier got fired a few months ago because she was tricking guests into signing up saying it was a "survey", "loyalty information", or "for the return policy/ attachment plan". How they fell for that, idk, but
The communication we got was ask only when prompted. I was back up for almost 2 hours today (on and off obviously but it was every 20 minutes for at least 15-20 minutes) and only got prompted 3 or 4 times.

Cashier got fired a few months ago because she was tricking guests into signing up saying it was a "survey", "loyalty information", or "for the return policy/ attachment plan". How they fell for that, idk...

We had one a few years ago who tricked guests into thinking it was a rewards card. Had an insanely high conversion rate, but obviously GS had to deal with a lot of furious guests. Idk what survey/rewards card requires your ID and SS#

Last edited:
I remember sometime last year my store was coaching cashiers if they didnt get at least one red card on their shift. I felt sorry for the cashiers, but when they told them to just ask when prompt they screamed Hallelujah.

We were told that we were to ask every guest, not just when prompted. This was the direction given last Thursday during the first huddle I have been to in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back