Archived New Registers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
any one get new registers recently? (not self check). I've been told by several people that we will be getting new registers in June.

any one get new registers recently? (not self check). I've been told by several people that we will be getting new registers in June.
We got new ones a year ago. They're probably replacing them because mircroft doesn't release new patches for xp, which the old ones run on.

I've heard rumors about it. Fingers crossed. Our registers cause so many issues for us, it's ridiculous.

I've heard rumors about it. Fingers crossed. Our registers cause so many issues for us, it's ridiculous.
The new ones are just as bad, if not worse. We of course use the same software, except now we jse a much newer operating system. They do not like each other, we've had several shutdowns mid transaction.

I would love to see some kind of modernized register, like with an iPad or something...but we all know that's not gonna happen

Even if we don't get new registers I hope my store gets new counters soon. Another Target in my area has the newest counters. They look so awesome.

Outta the blue, I have to PUNCH the popcorn button twice to ring up one popcorn.

I love it.

Three popcorns? SIX punches!

200_s.gif

Anyone still have the dinosaur IBM registers with the small black-and-white CRT monitors? We had those when I first started; they were so awful it was embarrassing.

We got new ones a year ago. They're probably replacing them because mircroft doesn't release new patches for xp, which the old ones run on.

I doubt that'd result in new registers, just new software then. Weird that you have XP though, we've had Windows 7 on ours for over a year.

I would love to see some kind of modernized register, like with an iPad or something...but we all know that's not gonna happen

That'd be way worse. iPads severely lack processing power.

As an example:

iPad-Pro-charts.0031-635x476.png

Geekbench is a commonly used pc benchmark suite. It seems to compete rather well there since its results are being compared to similar tablets rather than pc's, but my laptop for example scores 13,053 4.04 times that of the iPad Pro. And a high end desktop outmuscles my laptop by a decent margin as well (though a smaller margin than my laptop does the iPad, as my laptop has a i7-4720HQ, a 3.4 GHz Quad-Core).

You don't really need processing power for a register. It just needs to run an OS and the corporate software on top of it which shouldn't be that demanding. Mostly just communicating with servers, processing basic I/O, finding totals, basic stuff. Ipads just don't have good scalability (No possibility of hardware upgrades)and are a poor investment for this type of scenario just like those god damned "myDevices". They have limited IO options, are proprietary mobile hardware, and are Apple products so you know they suck compared to Android competition. In fact, they might actually go down that road since Apple is "trendy"! You would probably want a secure option from an established company in this industry especially because you want max up time with max longevity. Apple only leads in marketing.

Regardless I hope they install self checkouts in the local store, they have so many registers but even when its busy they don't even have enough people to fill half them up. More than once I have said "Fuck it, I'll go to walmart tomorrow" because their were lines when I got off work. They should just do what walmart has and use self checkout as a force multiplier. I wouldn't have to have the register supervisor trying to sell me a redcard so she can get a bonus off my back either. The less social contact the better!

You don't really need processing power for a register. It just needs to run an OS and the corporate software on top of it which shouldn't be that demanding. Mostly just communicating with servers, processing basic I/O, finding totals, basic stuff. Ipads just don't have good scalability (No possibility of hardware upgrades)and are a poor investment for this type of scenario just like those god damned "myDevices". They have limited IO options, are proprietary mobile hardware, and are Apple products so you know they suck compared to Android competition. In fact, they might actually go down that road since Apple is "trendy"! You would probably want a secure option from an established company in this industry especially because you want max up time with max longevity. Apple only leads in marketing.

Regardless I hope they install self checkouts in the local store, they have so many registers but even when its busy they don't even have enough people to fill half them up. More than once I have said "Fuck it, I'll go to walmart tomorrow" because their were lines when I got off work. They should just do what walmart has and use self checkout as a force multiplier. I wouldn't have to have the register supervisor trying to sell me a redcard so she can get a bonus off my back either. The less social contact the better!
Not all Walmarts have self check. Our local one had it removed as did the local grocer with self check. Too much theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back