Archived New registry iPads. What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in the midst of finally getting our guest registry iPads. They were holding off until we got the printer when we found out...we aren't getting a printer until hell is completely froze over. Apparently there are a ton of stores out there still waiting for their printers, and because we put the u in the ULV, we are close to the very bottom of this list.

So...if a guest can't print out a registry at these things, why do we have them? All of my GSTMs keep asking me this question, and I can't give them any sort of answer, because I don't know, either!

We have the iPods the guests can use to look up registries and take that with them as they shop, but there are a few problems with them:

A) older people just aren't comfortable using them
B) if they are comfortable using them, generally the font size is too small
C) if the font size isn't too small, if the guest takes an extended shopping trip, the device will time out, they will lose their list and get confused.
D) four is not enough at times for everyone willing to use them
E) some people simply want a paper copy to take home.

So, we either have to tell the guest we cannot print registries and lose sales and vibe scores.

Or we have to go into the TSC and print it off of target.com, which can take a while to find an open computer and then print it, thus leaving guest services unattended while people randomly scream over the Walkie that they need someone at guest services.

Or people have to print out the registry from home (or use their phone) and we all know they aren't going to do that, either.

This is especially complicated by the wish list thing that can't be looked up on the iPod.

So those stores that don't have printers for your registries any more, how are you handling this? And what the hell is the point of these iPads without a printer?

Grr.

Last edited:
We're putting ours in soon...I didn't know they didn't come with printers. Our primary issue with the current kiosks was that the printers were always jamming or otherwise just plain not working. We've been printing them off at TMSC/Lead Office for the last few months for guests who didn't want to use the iPods. Guess we're not going to be changing up our routine any time soon.

We have a printer for ours, but even when the lists are printed out, a lot of older people still don't really understand them. They get upset when an item says online only and they didn't realize it really means online only...

Hmm, that's strange you're not getting a printer, we have registries with printers at Guest Services, and then at Baby 360 (which we just got recently along with the mannequins) we also got some iPad's with a printer as well. The printers were brand new and different from our previous ones.

They told us that it would be months before we got printers - it was about a week. And let me tell you, they are WONDERFUL! compared to those thermal paper, touch screen that didn't respond to touch pieces of scrap iron we used to have. The only issue we have is that people don't realize that that's a hole for the printer - not a trash can - so I have to clean paper wads out of it pretty frequently.

Whenever our printers at the registry kiosks are down, we just offer to print the list out for them in the photo department. All you have to know is how to get on the internet on the APEX computer.

I haven't seen a guest use the Ipad for the gift registry. I would see guests back in the day all the time using the old shitty ones. Oh well, maybe next time.

Or we have to go into the TSC and print it off of target.com, which can take a while to find an open computer and then print it, thus leaving guest services unattended while people randomly scream over the Walkie that they need someone at guest services.

You have the GSTM go print them off? It's always the GSA or GSTL that does it at our store. Going 5-10 minutes without a GSA is a much smaller issue for us than no one at the service desk for the same amount of time would be (unless the GSA or GSTL mans the service desk instead anyway).

As for the iPads, we don't even have them yet as far as I am aware, we didn't yesterday anyway, the past three days we've had "nothing", they tore the old kiosks out, but didn't immediately replace them with anything.

Whenever our printers at the registry kiosks are down, we just offer to print the list out for them in the photo department. All you have to know is how to get on the internet on the APEX computer.
I'd like to know how to print from the photo area, although those printers are loaded with glossy photo paper. There isn't a laser printer connected to that system.

That sounds like a serious waste of ribbon and expensive paper.

we are doing OK....for now.... I cant wait till we get closer to Christmas and when we get busier and get guests wanting to shop for their friends and family and take care of their registry.

My fix for the numbers issue is to offer to send the list via text message to the guest's smartphone. That way I can keep enough iPods behind the counter for people actually creating registries and scanning.

The ipod registries have worked fine for us for the most part. If you take the time to explain it to the older guests they can usually get the hang of it. I don't understand the fixation people have on paper. Ninety nine percent of the time they are going to throw it out anyway. We do not offer to print them a list of another printer, that's a waste of resources. They can either use the ipod or not.

The ipod registries have worked fine for us for the most part. If you take the time to explain it to the older guests they can usually get the hang of it. I don't understand the fixation people have on paper. Ninety nine percent of the time they are going to throw it out anyway. We do not offer to print them a list of another printer, that's a waste of resources. They can either use the ipod or not.
they don't understand the scroll to see what's available, and they feel they don't see the price as our fault they don't have the low tech version they were expecting. 99% of the time i just load it on my phone and shut them up. hey it's freaking easy, i can do it in less time it took for you to wait to complain to me. i really love anything doesn't run windows, they always seem to crash at random times. and the printers are reduced to printer that we can access easily.

we just got our new iPad kiosks installed today. they've already worked more times in one day than the old kiosks had for the past month, so I'm happy. I used to just head off guests heading in the direction of the kiosks with a scanner before they even bothered, and just hope that no more than four people at a time wanted to look at a registry. I'm really happy with the new iPads. I'm also pretty fond of the myDevices though, so maybe it's just me.

I'll grant you though sometimes it does take ages for the iPad to actually decide to print. I'm not sure how it's actually connected though, I'm assuming it's wireless and the wifi at my store is really patchy. I could be completely wrong though.

That sounds like a serious waste of ribbon and expensive paper.
I'd like to know how to print from the photo area, although those printers are loaded with glossy photo paper. There isn't a laser printer connected to that system.

We have a duplex printer in our photo lab. It's the printer that prints out greeting cards, calendars, and the 8x10 photobooks. This printer prints out on cardstock. And when we want to use it to print out a registry, we just put in regular paper in the paper tray. So there is no wasting glossy paper or ribbon. And this printer is very seldom used except during the holidays when people are getting greeting cards and photobooks for gifts. It is very easy to get onto the internet on the APEX computer. If you want to know just PM me.

When the old kiosks were removed you should have kept 1 printer for the new kiosk. Check with your sft.....he should be up to date on the project

When the old kiosks were removed you should have kept 1 printer for the new kiosk. Check with your sft.....he should be up to date on the project

How would that work? We would have to have kept an entire kiosk for that to happen. And I thought the entire point of getting rid of those kiosks was because they suck. Dear God, I was the only one left in my store who could even load the paper through on those bad boys. So no...we weren't supposed to keep an old kiosk, thankfully.

Our sft was thankfully wrong, and we did finally get a printer. Unfortunately, he is having problems getting it to work...but one step at a time.

I swear the same people who want a 30 page registry printed out, are the same ones who will make a beeline to me to complain about how something isn't good for the environment. Our printer is just plain not hooked up to the new ipads, and there's nothing I can do about it. Then people look at me like I have three heads when I suggest texting it to their phone or using an iPod to see the registry. Granted, thats if they have chosen the few hours a week it actually works. (End rant)

Your Sft should have kept one printer from the old kiosk. And you would not need to keep the old kiosk as the printer were on rollers. Now if you had the old style kiosk the thermal printers then yes you would have to wait for a new laser printer to be sent.

How would that work? We would have to have kept an entire kiosk for that to happen. And I thought the entire point of getting rid of those kiosks was because they suck. Dear God, I was the only one left in my store who could even load the paper through on those bad boys. So no...we weren't supposed to keep an old kiosk, thankfully.

Our sft was thankfully wrong, and we did finally get a printer. Unfortunately, he is having problems getting it to work...but one step at a time.
It's a global issue. He or the gstl will need to contact the roll out room or Csc and they will have to set he printer up

It's a global issue. He or the gstl will need to contact the roll out room or Csc and they will have to set he printer up

Yeah...he did that. When I posted the post you quoted, he wasn't even ready for the roll out room call...but now he got to that stage, and is still having issues. He did that for one store, and it went seamlessly when he called. For our store, he isn't having much luck. He called, they told him to email. So he emailed. And then he got some print out. And it still isn't working properly.

And now he's ready to drink heavily and pass it off to the SFT tomorrow (and hoping it isn't him).

Yeah...he did that. When I posted the post you quoted, he wasn't even ready for the roll out room call...but now he got to that stage, and is still having issues. He did that for one store, and it went seamlessly when he called. For our store, he isn't having much luck. He called, they told him to email. So he emailed. And then he got some print out. And it still isn't working properly.

And now he's ready to drink heavily and pass it off to the SFT tomorrow (and hoping it isn't him).

When we had our roll out in September it took a week for them to get the printer up. Luckily we had 3 old kiosks and I left one of them up so guests could print. Good luck

Our old kiosks haven't worked in a month. It's coming. They'll get it figured out. Or not. We have so many things falling apart that should be getting straightened out before Black Friday, that I can already see the train wreck this is about to be. But if that's how Target wants to operate, then that's what they'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back