Archived New return policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Quickart

Cart Magician turned GSTL
Hey everyone, just wanted to share a fun fact I found out from the ETLs at huddle yesterday. Starting sometime next month the return policy will be changing to 45 days for electronics but still 90 days for everything else. This has to be related to selling service plans at the registers.

I foresee a lot of guests getting angry about this in the near future...

From what I had heard, it's only for certain electronics items. I'm not sure of the exact details, but I think it's for major items like cameras, MP3 players, TVs, etc... stuff that guests should be able to decide whether or not they'd like to keep within a month an a half anyway.

If it is true...it probably be select electronic items; probably the ESP items (TVs, BluRay players, iPods, iPads).

But last time Target changed the return policy, they made it a big deal and cashiers were required to hand out pamplets a month before the effective date.

Can't they wait until we put out the firestorm called "new & improved target.com/returns"?
My workclothes might as well be made of asbestos from all the heat & vitrol I've been exposed to...

Oh Hooray, another thing to get called up to guest service for and yelled at by the guest

haha I feel so bad for you guys... I just can't see that going over well. Although, my old store wouldn't return any electronics unless unopened, and even then we tried to do an exchange first.

I can see tons of issues from guests this 4th quarter especially after christmas. LOD shifts will be fun again for me. I wonder what the purpose is behind this?

Its rolling out Oct 3rd. This 45 day policy consists of cameras, camcorders, and computer hardware (laptops, I think this includes game systems) Its to better align with our competitors.

Target is pretty lenient on returns. I mean ya 45 days on electronics sucks but I know some places only allow 14 days. I like it when guests get all huffy and say Wal-Mart does it! I feel like saying go there and saying Target is pretty lenient on returns so get over it.

If it is true...it probably be select electronic items; probably the ESP items (TVs, BluRay players, iPods, iPads).

But last time Target changed the return policy, they made it a big deal and cashiers were required to hand out pamplets a month before the effective date.

i'm sure that would be the case if there were a major policy change

Has anyone noticed the new return policy words on the back of receipt paper.
Basically, unopened & new products can be returned etc..

Is that for everything?

Are ETLs going to follow through when a guest complains that they can't return a wadded up bed sheet set because it didn't go with their style.

Has anyone noticed the new return policy words on the back of receipt paper.
Basically, unopened & new products can be returned etc..

I just compared a recent Target receipt to one for a TV I bought a few years ago and that statement on the back of the receipt hasn't changed (at least not on receipts from my store) yet. The official policy of returned items needing to be new and unused has been in place for at least the past five years (which is as long as I've worked there) we just don't stick to it too closely.

I am not certain totally. I did ask the Gstl about pharmacy & bikes. How to handle those items? This part has been in discussion many times here before. It takes spot a while to catch up.

I don't think it'll matter one hill of beans since my clientele seems to never read their receipts any way. Policy, expiration date, whatever....

I am not certain totally. I did ask the Gstl about pharmacy & bikes. How to handle those items? This part has been in discussion many times here before. It takes spot a while to catch up.

At my store pharmacy items can only be returned in the pharmacy department (the software doesn't allow the return to be processed at guest services at all) and bikes have had a unique return/repair policy for some time. Guests can return a new and unused (and in this case we actually mean it) bike with a valid receipt within 90 days. If they've been using it and discover a problem they can bring it in for a free repair, but I'm not sure if that applies to the life of the bike or if there is a time limit. And even though that sounds clear cut things can get a little dicey with the bikes since a problem isn't going to be discovered unless one uses the bike. I'm pretty comfortable with electronics returns. I usually know what I can and cannot do with those but bikes still stress me out--it comes up so rarely (at least where I am) that I usually have to get a second opinion before deciding whether to offer a return or repair. I'm not too concerned about this new policy for some items. I don't think it will change our approach too much.

I don't think it'll matter one hill of beans since my clientele seems to never read their receipts any way. Policy, expiration date, whatever....

And this is exactly why I'm not concerned--it will all play out the same way it does now. My only real concern is what my coworkers will do. Just yesterday I had to refuse a return of an opened package of batteries and the returnee said she called the day before and was told she could return them. I said I couldn't take them back because they were opened and she said she told whoever she spoke to that that they were open and they said she could still return them. She may have been lying to me but there are people in my store who should know better than to say that but would say it anyway because they get so nervous when they have to tell someone "no".

I have to say, I'm kind of with Target on this one.

I wouldn't want to be the person having to deal with the irate customers, but I can understand where Target is coming from.

If you buy something on Friday, you don't like it and you bring it back on Monday, okay, they should give you a refund, an exchange or at the very least, offer you a store credit.

If you wait and bring it back six months later, sorry...

Sure, it sounds to me like Target is trying to boost their sales of extended warranty plans, but that's a whole other story.

Oh and for anyone NOT in a management position, be glad you work for a store the size of Target.

The reason I say that is, if you have an irate customer, you can kick them up to your supervisor.

If you have a really irate customer, say one who is taking a ball bat to your windows, you can call in store security.

As an alternative, try the wonderful world of working utterly alone and you ONLY options are, deal with it yourself or call the police, knowing that you could order a pizza at the same time and the pizza would get there before the police.

Yeah, management....
The typical scenario is we have is guests saying that the electronics TM told them they "could return it within 90 days".
The elec TM said "...as long as it's new & unused".
The guest said they "never told me THAT"!
We point out that "it's on the receipt & the large sign overhead".
The guest says "no one EVER reads that stuff".
Nevertheless, we STILL have it posted & it's not our responsibility if you don't read the policy.
Guest wants a manager.
LOD doesn't want to come to the service desk to get chewed out so they ask if it'll go yellow if defected out. If so, just defect it out.
We tell the guest that we're "making an exception this time but for future purchases...."
Guest says "Yeah, yeah, whatever", grabs the refund slip & leaves.
LOD lectures us on empowerment & "standing our ground" when enforcing policy.
I go home & have a couple of beers & make a voodoo doll of the LOD.

I have to say, I'm kind of with Target on this one.

I wouldn't want to be the person having to deal with the irate customers, but I can understand where Target is coming from.

If you buy something on Friday, you don't like it and you bring it back on Monday, okay, they should give you a refund, an exchange or at the very least, offer you a store credit.

If you wait and bring it back six months later, sorry...

Sure, it sounds to me like Target is trying to boost their sales of extended warranty plans, but that's a whole other story.

I've had people get upset with me because they couldn't return something they bought a couple of years ago. Back in the 80s Target (and its former parent company Dayton's) briefly had a wide open return policy. You could return anything to them regardless of when you bought it, its condition or if you had a receipt or not. It didn't last long but some people haven't ever forgotten that and won't let go.

Yeah, management....
The typical scenario is we have is guests saying that the electronics TM told them they "could return it within 90 days".
The elec TM said "...as long as it's new & unused".
The guest said they "never told me THAT"!
We point out that "it's on the receipt & the large sign overhead".
The guest says "no one EVER reads that stuff".
Nevertheless, we STILL have it posted & it's not our responsibility if you don't read the policy.
Guest wants a manager.
LOD doesn't want to come to the service desk to get chewed out so they ask if it'll go yellow if defected out. If so, just defect it out.
We tell the guest that we're "making an exception this time but for future purchases...."
Guest says "Yeah, yeah, whatever", grabs the refund slip & leaves.
LOD lectures us on empowerment & "standing our ground" when enforcing policy.
I go home & have a couple of beers & make a voodoo doll of the LOD.

I've been in this place a million times. We have had quite a few LODs in our store who will back us up though and its nice when they're around. If our AP TL is in and I need help at the service desk he's the first one I call. He always supports policy and he's also huge and can make the stoniest stone face you ever saw. Guests don't argue with him. They actually don't argue with me much either though. They get mad sometimes but as long as they don't direct it at me I don't mind--and if they do direct it at me I just get more stubborn.

Almost forgot! The words printed on the front changed from receipt expires on this date to return items by this date, starting next week.

Well, how's this for a returns story...

I'd actually forgotten/repressed this until reading this thread.

Eight in the morning.

I was working the front office AKA customer service desk at a grocery store.

I was reading emails on the computer. I turned around to get my coffee and this old lady was in the window.

I hadn't known she was there because I had my back to her and she hadn't said a word.

I walked over, smiled and said good morning.

Her response?

She slammed two cans of rancid tomatoes down on the counter and said, "would you want to eat that?"

The tomatoes no doubt came from one of our stores in that they were store brand.

They were also 3 years out of date and she probably paid about 69 cents per can for them.

Customers...

Can't live with them and can't live without them...

Last edited:
Stores should be getting a replacement for the return policy placard behind the service desk with the new wording. There's a sentence that calls-out the exception for certain electronics items, but doesn't specify which items or return period length. Also, there's a nice little section that sets expectations for the return process (for both TM and guest). Example, we guarantee we will do these things: scan the receipt, attempt a receipt lookup, etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back