New SFS TL

Learn your TMs strengths and weaknesses, and assign them based on that. If you have someone who is really good at picking, but slow at packing, assign them to pick on the heavy days, and on the slower days when there's time to spare, have them help out packing. Don't leave them to pack alone, leave them with someone experienced who can help guide them. Keep an eye on MPM and greenfield, follow up with everyone, and ask a lot of questions. Why couldn't they find x item? Where did they check? Is anyone else having issues finding similar items? Where else could they look? Did they talk to the DBO of the area?

Taking the time to really get to know your team helps you in the long run here. Make sure they know you're available to help them whenever they need it as well, and that they can ask you any question no matter how "dumb" they think it is.

MPM is your best friend. You have to look at more then just the overall numbers. Even green numbers can have problems. Look at individual output more then pick productivity. If say 3 people come in at the same time and 2 of the 3 people have 100 more units picked then you need to know why.
Call early for help do not wait until there is not enough time to get someone to jump in and finish the batch.
Breaks are hard to control you dont want people goimg on breaks at the same time. Find a way that works for you amd your team.
Tbh there is a lot of stuff that goes on for sfs that requires your attention. I do have a couple of questions that would help me give you more tips.
1. Is the current system failing.
2. Do you know your team already, pace setters, top performers, bottom performers, ect.
3. Are you a new tl, new to this store, inside or outside hire, or just transfering from a different leadership position.
4. Size of your operation, how many pack stations, store volume, drive up spaces.

1. Is the current system failing.
2. Do you know your team already, pace setters, top performers, bottom performers, ect.
3. Are you a new tl, new to this store, inside or outside hire, or just transfering from a different leadership position.
4. Size of your operation, how many pack stations, store volume, drive up spaces.
1. Not failing but they could definitely be better, there is not enough follow up on the team.
2. I have a good idea of who the top and bottom are and I know the pacesetters. But I know the pacesetters are not doing what they should be for the most part.
3. I am not a new TL, I am a GMTL and have been a TL for 6 years. I helped out with SFS during Christmas and my ETL wants someone who will hold the team accountable, not just on metrics but attendance, training and meal compliance.
4. We did 55 million last year, 6 pack stations and I believe 6 drive up spaces.

1. Not failing but they could definitely be better, there is not enough follow up on the team.
2. I have a good idea of who the top and bottom are and I know the pacesetters. But I know the pacesetters are not doing what they should be for the most part.
3. I am not a new TL, I am a GMTL and have been a TL for 6 years. I helped out with SFS during Christmas and my ETL wants someone who will hold the team accountable, not just on metrics but attendance, training and meal compliance.
4. We did 55 million last year, 6 pack stations and I believe 6 drive up spaces.
Awesome since you not new i can be a little more specific.
1. I think the biggest issue managing this team is output, and more specifically output consistency. Its pretty easy to get green metrics but of they are one person is picking 300 units in their shift and another is 150 units but can have green metrics obviously someone isnt doing enough batches. (Taking longer breaks, chatting in between batches, helping guests, all lead to less output)
2. I dont do my schedule, but i do review it ahead of time, so i make a game plan for every day. You can view forecasts weeks in advance use all the information given to you. I have certain people that pack and a couple vack ups, i have my strongest tms do sfs because it tends to have harder to find items and more style then opu.
3. You need to find you weaknesses and develop you routines around that. Idk about your store but im told by my SD that im not allowed to do anything except be available for my team. I don't pick batches or pack, except for the occasional ship alones. I walk the store, making sure my team keeps the backroom and the hold spaces up front clean, check for infs your team maybe missed, do small tasks around the store that way your fellow leads and tms are more willing to help you. Being out and about will also help you understand what is going on with you team.
4. If team members are underperforming pick a batch with them. A lot of team members feel that if everything is getting done then its ok for them to take their time. Show them the pace you need them to work at, likely they are spending too much time looking for items before they are even telling you they cant find something.
Im sure i have plenty more i can give you but im going to stop before i make this post any longer lol. If you have questions or have anything more specific you meed help with let us know there are quite a few good sfs TLs active on this forum.

Thanks for the info. If I come across any questions in the following weeks I'll be sure to reach out.

Tech made sure to make friends with flex, like for example if there's a item we know is going to be a popular item with flex that day. We will make sure it gets to the floor first. Or if its an item in our freight(that's not apple)? We will grab the dpci and tell them to circle back when we give them a yell on their radio so that they aren't waiting on my team. In return? Flex has investment in not ruining our counts or tearing apart our repacks.

Or say with the Playstation and xboxes? We make sure that both Ap likes the spot we have in the backroom and it isn't too big a pain for flex to access.

But yea id say on top of the advice you got here, set up relationships with other departments.

Partner with your peers to be sure Audits are being done daily in their departments. On slow days, our Fulfillment TL volunteers to audit for them. This should help keep INFs down.

Also be sure your team knows which departments are likely to be flexed and where to look for those items that don't show a location.

As others have said, know your top/bottom performers, and utilize MPM and Greenfield reports. If your bottom performers are red, that's on you to fix. If your top performers are all red...well...that's probably a bigger issue that is not really their fault. Partner with your peers and ETL to figure out what is causing that.

All great advice.. a few things I do.. I made a spreadsheet in Excell with all my tms on it.. I put their scores and what our goals are and I try to go over it with them every week sometimes every other.. I found that my team was mega excited to find out how they were doing. I also spend the major of my time at the pak station that way I control how often they are standing around and shut down trash talk when it happens.
I have been developing all of my team members.. the ones that aren't fast at paking I put back there as much as I can because that's the only way they will get better.
I also use my spreadsheet as a coaching tool.. if I've talked to Mark 2 weeks in a row about his speed or inf I make sure to put that conversation in workday. I also work with him to find out where the breakdown is.. is he spending too much time looking for things before asking for help? That's a big one...

Is it a bad thing that a TL get moved around a lot Like 4 deferent roles in 3 years. Same store.

I don't think so.. my store moved me around 3 times so far in 3 years. We had some turnover and my work centers were green soni was moved into another thats not so green

I agree with zombiegurl. However i will say i felt pressured to help other areas more of
Is it a bad thing that a TL get moved around a lot Like 4 deferent roles in 3 years. Same store.
I am barely over a year as a tl and have done every gm role and F+B. I will say its been frustrating as its been hard to truly develop a team but i can say ive made an impact on every team ive lead. Sometimes its outside circumstances that forces roles to change. Ive also worked at pretty much every workcenter before becoming a tl so i had prior knowledge of each area which helped a lot

I agree with zombiegurl. However i will say i felt pressured to help other areas more of
I am barely over a year as a tl and have done every gm role and F+B. I will say its been frustrating as its been hard to truly develop a team but i can say ive made an impact on every team ive lead. Sometimes its outside circumstances that forces roles to change. Ive also worked at pretty much every workcenter before becoming a tl so i had prior knowledge of each area which helped a lot
I’ve had to change workcenter due to loas , terminations and head count. I feel like just as I start to deliver results in a workcenter I get moved and the gains recede.

Back