Archived New Softlines TM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I actually started training last week. First day was Cashier training, which I only did like an hour. I was supposed to do the online quizzes etc but the system was down and I haven't been told to do them eventhough it's going to be my third day.
Cashier question:
When I get on the cashier computer, how do I create a pin number? On my first day my number wasn't in the system so I couldn't do it and I noticed I needed it to log in to cashier.
How strict is management with the speed score thing with backup cashiers? I was so focused on speed that I hardly talked to customers and I forgot to ask them about redcards or coupons. I was a disaster. They didn't even give me the cashier training manual.

I will be Softlines so what do we usually do during the night shifts? Zoning? That's usually organizing and putting things back in their place right? I feel like I hardly learned anything during training (like many others I've read on this forum).

- Cashering: I had the same problem. Just let the GSTL know, and they can help you set up a pin. Make sure it's easy to remember!

- Softlines Zoning Guide: https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/softlines.25/

- Something I wish more trainers would do in my store is let SFTMs know more about how to deal with empty packages/contacting AP on walkie, so here's a thread for that: https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/ap-for-sales-floor-tms.10868/ edit: to contact AP on walkie at my store, ASANTS, I switch to channel two and press on my mic button. This sends a quick noise that lets them know I'm trying to reach them but if the APS is on the floor, they have the chance to find a private space to respond.

Advice for Softlines:
Night shifts are mainly zoning. If you know you won't finish on time, make sure you communicate with leadership. Usually, others will be able to help. Softlines can be a challenging workcentre sometimes. A tip for go-backs: If you're not sure where something goes, try moving on to another item and returning the unfindable item to the cart. Putting things away in the right spot will ultimately save time and reduce the workload in the future. Sometimes, you can scan items (In shoes, for example, which is J here), and find out the product is set to J2 3-2-1. A lot of the merchandising in Softlines is visual (Knox Rose, for example, which is set with Mossimo Red here as that brand doesn't have a location,) so a MyDevice isn't always the most helpful unless you're looking for a backwall/table location for an item. Accuracy is more long-term effective than just dumping go-backs for speed. Try to keep things as brand as possible. Of course, it's impossible to make everything perfect, but if you put effort into your zones, sometimes you'll get the same areas the next day and it will be so easy to (re)zone for the second time around. As you work accurately and put things away in the appropriate locations corresponding with size, style, and brand, you will be able to assist guests looking for a particular product much more easily.

Last edited:
When I get on the cashier computer, how do I create a pin number? On my first day my number wasn't in the system so I couldn't do it and I noticed I needed it to log in to cashier.

After the GSTL/GSA sets your ringing status in order to grant you access to the register, you should be prompted to set up a PIN the first time you log in. If not, the GSTL/GSA can help you set up a PIN.

How strict is management with the speed score thing with backup cashiers? I was so focused on speed that I hardly talked to customers and I forgot to ask them about redcards or coupons. I was a disaster. They didn't even give me the cashier training manual.

I wouldn't worry too much about speed if you're just backing up, as accuracy is more important, but make sure you ask every guest about Red Cards. The more time you spend on the register, you'll be more comfortable with it and you'll get faster at cashiering.

At my store we do reshop until 4:30 and then start zone (fix/fold tables, pick up items off floor, make sure racks are organized in size order and finger spaced) . There are always exceptions, some days we don't start zone until 6, but our ideal is 4:30. Our store does a wave zone so the 2 softlines closers zone everything together instead of each person doing half of softlines alone. Depending on backups and how bad it is we will have time to help the Fitting Room person sort and work out the rest of their reshop.

If you can't find something while doing reshop make sure you are looking in the right brand section, and make sure it's not clearance. If someone is working near you ask if they've seen where it goes, sometimes it will be the only one of that item. You'll get better at knowing where things go the more you zone. If I can't find something I will set it on a rack in the same brand and usually end up finding where it goes less than a minute later (I swear when I stop looking for it, I find it).

Other tips : If there is clearance that is normally folded but it's now on clearance, hang it. It will save you from having to hang it later when the clearance table is a hot mess. Those tables are literally the worst and should be avoided.
Make sure you are hanging items on the right hangers - mainly, don't use men's hangers for womens/kids clothing.
If you aren't sure about something, ask. I don't care if it's a stupid question. I'd rather you ask than do something wrong for so long that it gets to the point where it's awkward to tell you that you're doing it wrong...it's happened.
The phone isn't as scary as you might think. If you need a cheat sheet for a while, that's fine, but don't put off learning it because you're scared. Same thing goes for announcements. I was terrified of both and didn't learn until I switched to a new store a year later. I wish someone would have taught me earlier.
MyDevices are helpful for checking prices or finding things in hardlines, but they will not help you find things in softlines unless it's infant hardlines or shoes.
If you're doing a fitting room check, make sure you're looking under the bench/stools and on top of mirrors/ledges for tags. My APTL has been getting on certain people for not doing this enough.

Thanks guys! It's my third week and I'm still learning. I feel like before I start every shift I still have new questions. I guess it's because I usually learn by doing the stuff myself and forget what people tell me. I've been writing everything I can on my phone.

soyaxo, thanks for the links, those are useful!

SoftlinesSleuth, yeah I asked the FRO if I could do the announcement since they had it written down so I did that last week. I had to write a cheat sheet for the extensions though, and how to transfer the calls since I have a FRO shift next week and I'm closing. I do the FR check but I usually don't check the top of mirrors because I'm so short that I can't get to it. I usually ask someone else to check. Any advice for FRO shifts during closing?

I still haven't finished training (actually, I haven't done any of the online computer training because I've asked my LoD on my last two shifts and she usually forgets because it's so busy.)

For the top of the mirrors I usually take a hanger and swipe it across the top of the mirror. Not because I can't reach, but because people are gross and have put some nasty stuff up there.

Most of the time FRO for closing is kind of the same as day time, the exception being nights when someone called in and the FRO has to zone. Just keep sorting and working stuff out. Try to grab the softlines zone cart and give them an empty one so you can sort that cart out before the end of the night. If softlines is in a spot where they will have time to help work it out, then I make sure to get everything sorted so all of us can just grab stuff and go. I usually save the reshop for the areas closest to the FR to work out between announcements so I'm not trying to work out girls reshop and running back and forth from the FR.

If you forget something, you can always ask. They do 2-week training schedules (from what I remember), but sometimes it's busy and we forget a thing or two, or something doesn't come up so you forget to teach it, but I think most of us are aware that no one ever learns everything in those two weeks ever. From what I've seen on here, some things are so different in other stores that you'll learn that stuff on the job. For example, at my store, fr doesn't do closing announcements, and doesn't do as much zoning and reshop as other stores do. So while tbr is most definitely super helpful, your coworkers will also be a big help............ unless they suck and brush you off or something.

I actually got one week of training and onr day of FRO. My shift was a nightmare because I had the shift with another new softlines and she wasn't helpful at all. I prefer doing softlines at night because i like zoning and doing gobacks. Cashier is something that i hate though. I've only done it twice and i've done so bad. I was told to not stress about redcards, fake coupons or speed since we are not actually cashiers. That helps so next time im called for backup im just going to take my time. Accuracy over speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back