Archived New (strange) Return Items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey GS people:

Has anyone else started seeing guests doing no-receipt returns for pens? Like the 20 pack of Pentel markers or something similar and about $30 in value? I'm pretty sure they get the gift card so they can cash it in somewhere else.

Is this a thing? Because it's been happening frequently at my store.

And on that note, does anyone have other non-standard (HBA, electronics) items that are getting returned?

We would occasionally get odd fraudulent returns for stuff like winter jackets or pet flea medication (stuff costs like $50 a box). If I were to guess, I would say that whoever is returning pens probably figured out that they have a fairly high value (I didn't know we had any pens that went for $30) and that pens are easier to rip off than electronics or HBA since that stuff tends to be watched better since it is higher theft. I don't think I ever paid attention to the office supply aisles unless I saw someone extremely suspicious go down there. I would make sure that AP is aware of this trend so they can hopefully bust the pen bandits eventually, or at least scare them off.

Exactly what @carramrod said. Our store we started noticing a large amount of $15 notebooks being returned. I'm talking about people walking in with a bag full of like 20 of them doing no-receipt returns on them all.
Boosters are clever and begin to Target (pun not intended) merchandise you wouldn't think of.

99% of the time that would be theft and/or return fraud, depending on if they actually exit the store before returning the item. Like others have said those products are being targeted because they fly under the radar of most AP. Never accuse anyone of theft but you can certainly make them feel uncomfortable doing the return.

We would occasionally get odd fraudulent returns for stuff like winter jackets or pet flea medication (stuff costs like $50 a box). If I were to guess, I would say that whoever is returning pens probably figured out that they have a fairly high value (I didn't know we had any pens that went for $30) and that pens are easier to rip off than electronics or HBA since that stuff tends to be watched better since it is higher theft. I don't think I ever paid attention to the office supply aisles unless I saw someone extremely suspicious go down there. I would make sure that AP is aware of this trend so they can hopefully bust the pen bandits eventually, or at least scare them off.
There are some sets of pens that do cost quite a bit. I've had apps on stationary items before.

There are some sets of pens that do cost quite a bit. I've had apps on stationary items before.
Now that we carry prismacolor 24ct pencils that's easy $20 and rather compact.

We get an unusual amount of condom, pregnancy tests and ovulation test returns . I die literally every day standing in that aisle putting it away. I even plead for my TL or ETL not to come over and talk to me while im there.

Coupon returns with card look up. No receipt. We had weeks of Calphalon returns when that $25 coupon was out.

Partner with your AP, we had a certain item coming back and we stopped taking that item without a receipt.

We get an unusual amount of condom, pregnancy tests and ovulation test returns . I die literally every day standing in that aisle putting it away. I even plead for my TL or ETL not to come over and talk to me while im there.
ez way to repell E/TL that doesnt include begging- find out what weirds them out

I get ETL log to leave me alone by hitting on him (disclaimer: we are both very aware it's not srs and our tones represent that) like i make comments about taking him out to dinner or this one time he was like "do u want someone to yell at u" and i was like "im into that ;3" and he was just like :eek: and ollied the fuck out (that one was hilarious bcos some guests overheard and started laughing their asses off)

so if my store hasnt noticed a trend like that happening, would it still be worth mentioning to ap at my store just in case so they can start keeping an eye out

Not GS, but I had a cart of reshop yesterday that had eight cans of baby formula. I love the smell of return fraud in the morning.

Wait returned baby formula? Doesn't that get destroyed?

You would hope so, wouldn't you? Guest service is ignorant, puts it in reshop for whatever reason after accepting fraudulent return because anyone working guest service should honestly be paid more than they already do so they care more...but whatever. Whoever handles said reshop that morning doesn't give a fuck and doesn't question reshop...it goes back on the shelf. Aaaaand risk taken. Let's hope it hasn't been tampered with. Roll my eyes and sigh.

You would hope so, wouldn't you? Guest service is ignorant, puts it in reshop for whatever reason after accepting fraudulent return because anyone working guest service should honestly be paid more than they already do so they care more...but whatever. Whoever handles said reshop that morning doesn't give a fuck and doesn't question reshop...it goes back on the shelf. Aaaaand risk taken. Let's hope it hasn't been tampered with. Roll my eyes and sigh.

Returned formula comes up CRC, not toss. So if formula is in your reshop...it's not a return, it's from the lanes...or possibly AP's office.

Weirdest fraud return I had was on cans of salmon with a fake receipt. (Yes, fake receipt) I think they were 10 bucks a can, and she had about 4 cans. I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it had I not already known her from previous scams.

Returned formula comes up CRC, not toss. So if formula is in your reshop...it's not a return, it's from the lanes...or possibly AP's office.

And CRC is audited (at least at my store) so putting in reshop would be a no-no.

And CRC is audited (at least at my store) so putting in reshop would be a no-no.

Pretty much. Toss isn't even an option. Pretty sure large quantities of CRC formula missing or on the floor wouldn't go unnoticed for long. Guess EchoFoxtrot is just salty about go-backs. Lol

Huh didn't realize it was crc. Guess you can tell i don't work at ther service desk! Lol

Wait returned baby formula? Doesn't that get destroyed?
Couldn't tell you. Honestly, I'm skeptical of the GS team at my store at times. Some are incredible people who could look a fire-breathing, meth-eating, neo Nazi dragon in the face with a calm and genuine smile. And then there's the people who accept returns on clothes from JCP.

Anything high value and easily concealable is a target for fraudulent returns.

Panties
Lingerie
Nail Polish
Printer Ink
Sharpies
Men's Ties
Amopee Files
Calculators
Toothbrushes

Pretty much anything that you could fit into a pocket. Sometimes you just see evidence that the items where stashed because the packaging will be bent or you can see where it was ripped off a peg hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back