New Team Lead Advice

Hello! Im brand new to being a Team Lead only a month in. I was hoping to get some advice on how to approach a Team Member. This Team Member gets a lot of complaints from other TMs. Most of them saying how he is rude. What would be the best way to approach this TM and talk to them about their behavior. I have an idea and some advice but I was hoping for some more.

Thanks!

Hi , congratulations on your new role as TL.
Have you observed this rude behavior yourself?
Does this TM have any performance/attendance issues?
Is the TM disrespectful/vulgar/physical towards other TMs?

I've ran into this issue.
I directly confronted the alleged offender about "feedback I've heard from other TMs about their attitude" and gave this person a chance to speak up for/defend themselves.

Of course they denied it and all that, but just them knowing that a TL is aware of a possible behavioral issue saw a drastic reduction in complaints from other TMs, telling me that the TM in question at least thinks twice about being as abrasive.

In my experience Target is no less gossip-y and clique-y than high school if you let things like that stagnate for too long.

Hello! Im brand new to being a Team Lead only a month in. I was hoping to get some advice on how to approach a Team Member. This Team Member gets a lot of complaints from other TMs. Most of them saying how he is rude. What would be the best way to approach this TM and talk to them about their behavior. I have an idea and some advice but I was hoping for some more.

Thanks!
I’ll usually just tell them what I’m being told and have an honest and open discussion as to why he thinks these other TMs are saying these things and actions/changes I think he could do to avoid these situations

It’s best to observe these things yourself first. I don’t think it’s a good idea to go by what other team members are saying. In my experience, other team members can exaggerate certain things. I’ve had a couple of instances where we pull a TM to discuss allegations and it never ends well. You have to see it for yourself and cite those specific examples when you talk to them. It might also be a good idea to pull another TL to sit in, depending on how comfortable you feel with that particular TM. If you’re at all concerned they might become agitated, or volatile, you need another leader in the room when having that conversation.

Back