Archived New to AP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I've been working for Target for almost a year now. My store had a TPS position open so I went for it. I am pretty passionate about law enforcement and security jobs. I ended up getting the position, I start in a few weeks once they find my replacement for the department I am in now. My question is what advice does anyone have for a new TPS going into training?

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Be very hands-on during training. Communicate with the team members, because you'll rely on them from time to time. The more you talk to them, the more confident they feel that they can tell you things.

Get up to date on shoplifting techniques. Communicate with your AP. There's no such thing as a stupid call-out. If you feel like it's suspicious, better safe than sorry. I made that mistake once. Four eyes are better than two.

KNOW YOUR STORE! Know what is locked, what isn't. God, I wish I would have done that one sooner. That way you are more aware of what is going on when you're looking at the cameras.

I zone while I do floor walks, that way I know when something has changed, and I have a time line where I know I can review for things like selection, etc.

Honestly, communication is going to be the biggest piece of advice. I'm fairly new, too, so I guess I am kind of giving you all the advice I can think of from the mistakes that I have made thus far. Because two weeks of training is not enough to cover it all.

Hello everyone. I've been working for Target for almost a year now. My store had a TPS position open so I went for it. I am pretty passionate about law enforcement and security jobs. I ended up getting the position, I start in a few weeks once they find my replacement for the department I am in now. My question is what advice does anyone have for a new TPS going into training?

Pay attention. Learn the process of as many departments as you can such as flow team. Understanding how product arrives to the store and potential shortage before the product even hits the sales floor.

Ask your boss for any current trends and previous trends. Don't be afraid to call another store in your district and chat up their AP. The more people you build a rapport with the better.

Edit: and if you're a guy, every cute girl at your store is now officially off limits.

Go to the gym. I lost a few shoplifters because I wasn't strong enough to take them. My disrict writes us up for shoplifters that get away during a app.

Go to the gym. I lost a few shoplifters because I wasn't strong enough to take them. My disrict writes us up for shoplifters that get away during a app.

Solution? Have someone outside ready to tackle, before they get through the first set of doors. If they run back into the store, you've got them, and if they run out, you've got them. They can't run anywhere, there trapped.

Typically, the moment you see concealment, you can call cops. Theft in Progress. If they dump, you can typically get them for vandalism, anyway.

Half the time, at my store we'd just let the cops grab them as there walking out. Made apprehensions so much easier.

Solution? Have someone outside ready to tackle, before they get through the first set of doors. If they run back into the store, you've got them, and if they run out, you've got them. They can't run anywhere, there trapped.

Typically, the moment you see concealment, you can call cops. Theft in Progress. If they dump, you can typically get them for vandalism, anyway.

Half the time, at my store we'd just let the cops grab them as there walking out. Made apprehensions so much easier.
Our police department won't response till they are running or in the office.

Our police department won't response till they are running or in the office.

Change there mind. Our store, used to pay to have girl scout cookies, sent to the police department every year. Trust me... it made a very good impression ;) Ask, your STL, see if you can do anything.

Heck. We used to make a point of writing down every officers information who responded to our store. Every Year, we'd mail out thank you cards. It didn't cost much, but, I know it did wonders. :)

Last edited:
Luckily our PD is near by. My AP-TL has a good working relationship with them. They're always coming into the store for Starbucks, too.

My AP-TL has made it known that the PD is on our side. Then again, we live in a small city so maybe our PD isn't as burdened by other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back