Archived New to Breakroom, General Target Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am a seasonal employee just turned permanent and so far have had an "okay" time at Target. I only say okay, because this is around the time (3-4 months) I quit a job, yet I feel no urge to quit this job and I accredit that to some pretty good leadership above me.

My STL Is a machine. Constantly positive, out on the floor working merchandise, very nice guy and honestly one of the reasons I don't dislike working at Target. It helps when you see the head guy out working like everyone else, and it's more motivating than any discipline could ever be. Just what I've noticed. Also my ETL is a great person and him and the TL right above me talked to me about being permanent with a very positive vibe. I am dayside back room but I will be getting hours with other teams so I can learn more within the store.

I guess general questions are as follows:

1. Does Target promote within?

2. What is the Target corporate chain (or web) of command?

3. If you are an ETL/STL what is your experience with rising above your teammates and what was the key?

I am very intrigued in working further with Target and maybe staying for a while. I am 21 and 2 years into a degree, and I know that is required for anything above a TL so I will be working on that. My longest job before this was at a hospital and I wanted to quit the entire time. I'm excited because normally I equate work, regardless of the type, with dread and knowing that the guys above me work so hard makes me actually kind of excited to do my part and maybe have the opportunity to rise up.

I'm sure there are a million posts like this, but so far responses are pretty positive so I hope mine does not become the butt of jokes.

Thanks.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Yes, Target promotes from within but not into the corporate structure.

Sad to say you almost have a better chance of getting a job as an ETL with a degree and no experience, than working for Spot until you get your degree then applying.

[video=youtube_share;z_Nq3xuHkgE]http://youtu.be/z_Nq3xuHkgE[/video]

Special guest appearance by Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Old-Biscuitbarrel of Luton

Last edited:
Sad to say you almost have a better chance of getting a job as an ETL with a degree and no experience, than working for Spot until you get your degree then applying.

Unfortunately, this. I have told a few people that if they want to become an ETL after getting their bachelor's, it's easier to quit and reapply later than it is to move up.

My experience as well.

Yet to see anything above a TL be hired from within. Even one of our current GSTLs was hired from the outside as an intern - still in school - instead of promoting one of our GSAs.

"Target Corporate" is a different business pyramid than "Target Stores" and there is no clear path for promotion from one to the other.

You can go from store side to corporate side, but you better have a nice degree with plenty of experience and be ready to relocate to MN.

"Target Corporate" is a different business pyramid than "Target Stores" and there is no clear path for promotion from one to the other.

You can go from store side to corporate side, but you better have a nice degree with plenty of experience and be ready to relocate to MN.

That's disappointing that you can't be promoted within. My ETL started at the store he's at as a cart attendant about 8 years ago so I guess it happens occasionally, but it sucks that isn't the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back