New vacation policy?

maybe sorta... You said 112 was for the B keys, but it only adds up for the A keys old method, not B key any method. And why would they use A key old number as the new base for anything? B key is the larger more fundamental keys.

Target gives employees weeks of vacation and days of ph, not any other method, so I kind of doubt they're just randomly changing that now. So they are going to tell B1 <5 yrs "you get 11 days and a little more" or "11.2 days" vacation? It just seems an odd complication vs "you get x weeks of vac per yr" or X days of PH per yr.

If what you say is true we just took a significant hit to our annual accrual. I'd like a real source for that. My HR guy claimed we lose nothing vs the old method for example (yeah I trust that as far as I can throw it but anyway)

Also as an oldy, what are the new hourly accrual numbers for 10+ and 20+ years seniority according to your source? Do you have that?

I'd like to know where you learned these very exact specifics anyway.

If this is true thats nearly a 10% hit to Vac+PH, plus losing maybe like 5 more days of holiday bank. Ouch. Too be fair at my building I can make most of the banked holiday vac loss back by just taking more VNS with the overall annual pay not changing, but, as I keep noting, VNS isn't as good as vac.

I mean.... I don't even need a source anymore it's in the handbook now. It's 112 hours max up to 5 years, which doesn't affect us anyway because we already work here so we're grandfathered in to the "legacy plan" until we hit 5 years. Then 160, 200, and 240. But if you do the math... The A keys will need to work a significant amount of OT to hit those maxes.

IMG_20220215_010050649.jpg IMG_20220215_010151750.jpg

Are you under 5 years? I feel like you're probably past that so it would be a different number for you.

Max you can earn in a year will be 112 but the total you could have before you stop accruing will be around 160. Currently it's complicated with the hours from banked holidays but that won't be the case in the future.

If you have 300 hours right now are you ever gonna take it all? It might not matter if you stop accruing for a while lol
300 hours!

Hopefully your state makes Target pay out unused vacation if you are termed.

Last edited:
maybe sorta... You said 112 was for the B keys, but it only adds up for the A keys old method, not B key any method. And why would they use A key old number as the new base for anything? B key is the larger more fundamental keys.

Target gives employees weeks of vacation and days of ph, not any other method, so I kind of doubt they're just randomly changing that now. So they are going to tell B1 <5 yrs "you get 11 days and a little more" or "11.2 days" vacation? It just seems an odd complication vs "you get x weeks of vac per yr" or X days of PH per yr.

If what you say is true we just took a significant hit to our annual accrual. I'd like a real source for that. My HR guy claimed we lose nothing vs the old method for example (yeah I trust that as far as I can throw it but anyway)

Also as an oldy, what are the new hourly accrual numbers for 10+ and 20+ years seniority according to your source? Do you have that?

I'd like to know where you learned these very exact specifics anyway.

If this is true thats nearly a 10% hit to Vac+PH, plus losing maybe like 5 more days of holiday bank. Ouch. Too be fair at my building I can make most of the banked holiday vac loss back by just taking more VNS with the overall annual pay not changing, but, as I keep noting, VNS isn't as good as vac.
Spot recognizes seven paid holidays. Two of these are always on A keys. Memorial Day and Labor Day. So 24 hours banked Memorial Day and Labor Day and minimum 10 hours x 5 hours banked for Juneteenth, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. So we are losing at a minimum 74 hours of banked vacation TIME. Actually I think A key team members even got 12 banked hours for working on a 10 hour B key holiday (can't remember).

Because they are upping the payrate for working on a holiday from 1.5 to 2.5 we are making more PAY for working on the holiday but we are losing at least 74 chances of taking time away from work. If you like more money then maybe this works for you? If you like more work/life balance then maybe this sucks for you? I like having banked vacation better because it's not taxed more like the 2.5 times payrate is and I like having 74 more hours (6 or 7 more days and chances away from work), than the extra taxed extra pay but that's just me. Because I'm better at being lazy. Know thyself.

So it all depends on how you want to define the word, "lose".

I mean.... I don't even need a source anymore it's in the handbook now. It's 112 hours max up to 5 years, which doesn't affect us anyway because we already work here so we're grandfathered in to the "legacy plan" until we hit 5 years. Then 160, 200, and 240. But if you do the math... The A keys will need to work a significant amount of OT to hit those maxes.

The handbook, that thing they gave me over a decade ago when I started??? LOL. They have not given me a handbook in years.

But I went on payandbenefits.com cus I figured you meant they updated and found that.

Anyways in legacy accrual plan I lose nothing, VAC earned is exactly the same as the amount of vac+ph I earn now. In the "new" plan I go from ~3.6 accrued per week to...~3.5. So yeah, turns out to be much ado about nearly nothing. This is 10-25 yr bracket.
The other brackets may differ but at a glance not too much.

Except losing bank holidays of course which does kind of suck (but then again, more ka-ching).

I'm still not sure when one would transition except apparently changing shifts. Will apparently give a very slight incentive to stay on the same key?

Max accrual hrs I'm not concerned with since I've never worked enough OT to stop accruing vacation. Whatever the case it should be no harder to hit than it was before. I see the confusion, when you said max accrual I interpreted that as the amount we used to get annually. So it seemed like you were saying we would get significantly less (Have to work OT just to catch up).

Anyways I'm pleased to finally get some increased clarity, and learn I lose little to no weekly accrual.

Last edited:
Apparently the “legacy accrual plan” just means the rate at which you accrue. All of my PH and well being hours got moved to my vacation bucket this week. 😡

Back