No hours

They actually called me and a few other people in this week so they could spend their allotted hours. I overheard them saying they'll be cutting hours next week because it starts the new month.
Yeah this was December week 5 so last week of the month. If you don’t spent it you lose it. Next week starts the drought

My store is giving away hours this week!! Even everyone in our team has 35+ hours atleast for the next two weeks. Seasonal TMs just vanished . I saw only 2-3 seasonal tms after New Years . So many call outs . Lots of truck pending. Our HR is literally going behind everyone asking if they need hours. Even they announced through walkie that we may pick hours.
last year by this time hours were drastically reduced. May be it’s just a delay 🤪

How to get more hours:
Secrets To Getting As Many Hours As Possible:

1. Don't call out unless absolutely necessary.
2. Show up for your shift on time and stay your entire shift.
3. Take only 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch breaks.
4. Ask to cross train in as many areas as possible.
5. Make it known no job is below you.
6. Do your tasks accurately, quickly, and cleanly.
7. Be friendly and helpful to all guests, TMs, and leadership.
8. Bring problems and other questionable situations to the attention of leadership, and, when possible, suggest solutions.
9. When on the clock, stay off your cell phone, unless you are using it to help a guest.
10. Always be moving on the sales floor or in the backroom.
11. Don't stand around talking with other TMs or your friends who come into the store unless it is relevant to Target business.
12. Volunteer to help train new TMs.”
13. Have red & k in your car.
14. If the front end calls for backup, be the first to respond on the walkie and the first to get to a register.
15. Open up your availability as much as you can.
16. While at work don't bitch and moan about your job, its tasks, your hours, leadership, fellow TM, guests, or, Target in general. Also, keep complaints about your personal life to a minimum.

Following the above as much as possible, may not get you as many hours as you would like, but will get you as many hours as possible.
Thanks
BoxCutter

Last edited:
How to get more hours:

8. Bring problems and other questionable situations to the attention of leadership, and, when possible, suggest solutions.
9. When on the clock, stay off your cell phone, unless you are using it to help a guest.
11. Don't stand around talking with other TMs or your friends who come into the store unless it is relevant to Target business.
12. Volunteer to help train new TMs.
13. Actively participate during store huddles.
14. If the front end calls for backup, be the first to respond on the walkie and the first to get to a register.
16. While at work don't bitch and moan about your job, its tasks, your hours, leadership, fellow TM, guests, or, Target in general. Also, keep complaints about your personal life to a minimum.

Following the above as much as possible, may not get you as many hours as you would like, but will get you as many hours as possible.
Thanks
BoxCutter
Reading through the list, I was thinking, "really good advice Hardlinesmaster." I was really surprised when I realized I was the one who wrote it in 2017!😆 Thanks for the recognition and the laugh @Hardlinesmaster. Although, at my store, we haven't had a huddle since the begining of last year, so we may want to delete #13.

How to get more hours:

Thanks
BoxCutter
You would think that all this would help with getting more hours, but sadly, most of it really doesn't. I know TMs who regularly break #3, #6, #9, #10, #11 (All. The. Time.) #14 and #16, and still get great hours. Even TMs who break nos. 1 & 2 were getting good hours right up until the most recent schedule (everyone's down next week).

And NOBODY follows #12 and #14.

Also chat up your HRTMs & get on their A list (people they call FIRST to pick up shifts).
Keep your phone on & answer it even if you have to decline; it saves the HRTMs from having to wait for a callback.
Be the one they know they can count on to come in.
This might actually help. Be reliable and stay in your TL's good graces also and they may call on you to come in early or stay late or come in for an extra day more often.

How to get more hours:

Thanks
BoxCutter

#1 - Yes
#2 - Yes
#3 - Yes
#4 - No
#5 - No
#6 - Yes
#7 - Guests and Team Members - Yes; Leadership - Hell No!!
#8 - No
#9 - Yes
#10 - Yes
#11 - Yes
#12 - No
#13 - No
#14 - Never do
#15 - Yes
#16 - No

My store quit calling people in a couple years ago. They did the first year I was there, after that only in super rare circumstances. They kept the hours and shorted coverage. Maybe it's changed since May, but not likely.

HR definitely doesn't call people in near as much as they used to, but my TL will text people to come in early or pick up an extra shift.

As far as HQ is concerned a TM working a full 40 is barely one notch above a TM pushing a cartload of iPads out the front door without paying, so we've solved that mystery. And speaking of not paying, it's 2020 so that's exactly what their plan is from this day until the end of days. But hey it was fun while it lasted, if we don't include Trim-A-Tree and that one time the DTL wigged out for 10 minutes over HR's silly little painted chalkboard in TMSC

Back