Archived No wondering if we don't get raises..

Status
Not open for further replies.
As companies get bigger they get more disconnected from their employees. Retailers seem to have an even bigger problem with this, possibly because the work team members do is seen as menial, so pay gets cut constantly while the top brass, who control wages, pay themselves more for doing such a good job. They're looking for ways to cut shelf prices and the easiest way to do that is by cutting payroll and making TMs do the work of 2 or 3 people when they previously could barely do a good job with the time they were given. Meanwhile reports from corporate team members show that 50% of time is spent on FFF events, and hard workers get passed up for promotions in favor of the most popular in the office.

And he probably thinks ... I deserve this pay or severance. I think I'll go in tomorrow with a pissy attitude.

And the republicans will all stand up and say he deserved that money because he worked harder than everyone else. Does anyone here think that guy worked harder than you did? How much money does one person need? I don't think I'm the person to decide how much is enough, but christ this is ridiculous.

Other countries have revolted for less.

As companies get bigger they get more disconnected from their employees. Retailers seem to have an even bigger problem with this, possibly because the work team members do is seen as menial, so pay gets cut constantly while the top brass, who control wages, pay themselves more for doing such a good job. They're looking for ways to cut shelf prices and the easiest way to do that is by cutting payroll and making TMs do the work of 2 or 3 people when they previously could barely do a good job with the time they were given. Meanwhile reports from corporate team members show that 50% of time is spent on FFF events, and hard workers get passed up for promotions in favor of the most popular in the office.

i agree, that ceo couldn't handle being a tm for a day i bet. a menial job is sitting at a desk sorting papers for a nice yearly salary and benefits not working your butt off at the store for twenty five cents over min wage. the main reason the government raises min wage is to try to get so many people off food stamps and other money from their pocket and put it back on the employer as it should be thank goodness but more needs to be done to fix the broken system.

Geez - I'd be set up for life with that one year earning. Hell, my kids and their kids could live off that. Sad.

i agree, that ceo couldn't handle being a tm for a day i bet.
I disagree strongly with this. Of course a CEO could be a TM. Anyone can be a TM. NOT anyone can be a CEO. The responsibility on any CEO's shoulders is insane. While the money is astonishing, no CEO is sitting at a desk "sorting papers". Plus I'm confident that, like most high level directors, the man worked 24 hours a day - not clock in at 7am, clock out at 3:30 and go about your business.

I disagree strongly with this. Of course a CEO could be a TM. Anyone can be a TM. NOT anyone can be a CEO. The responsibility on any CEO's shoulders is insane. While the money is astonishing, no CEO is sitting at a desk "sorting papers". Plus I'm confident that, like most high level directors, the man worked 24 hours a day - not clock in at 7am, clock out at 3:30 and go about your business.

And he FAILED! But he still gets to walk away with upwards of 50 million dollars. I could fail at a job for half of that, easy.

In 1980 a CEO made about 20 times what the average employee made which seems reasonable considering their level of responsibility.
Last year they made almost 300 times what the average worker makes, this is while worker efficiency has almost doubled and wages have remained stagnant.

Can you tell me what they have been doing that has made them worth that much of an increase?

I'm including a link to the chart because when I posted it the darn thing was too big.

http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_1920w/Bo...stonGlobe.com/Business/Images/ceopay2graf.jpg

Plus I'm confident that, like most high level directors, the man worked 24 hours a day - not clock in at 7am, clock out at 3:30 and go about your business.

While I have no doubt he put in a lot of hours, I'm calling bullshit on 24 hours a day. He might have been on call 24 hours a day and worked 10+ hour days but there are many many many salaried managers that do that and don't get anywhere close to the money he does.

MLB's minimum wage is 32 x greater than New York's minimum wage. Lance Armstrong made $218 million for cheating. Kovalchuk has a 15 year, $100 million contract. Robert Downey, Jr made $75 million and he for sure doesn't work every day. Yes, CEO's make a shit ton of money. But they are paid what the market will bear.

I feel like this perfectly sums up targets essence. Along with their "expect more pay less" employment mantra, of course. They're just showing their true colors.

MLB's minimum wage is 32 x greater than New York's minimum wage. Lance Armstrong made $218 million for cheating. Kovalchuk has a 15 year, $100 million contract. Robert Downey, Jr made $75 million and he for sure doesn't work every day. Yes, CEO's make a shit ton of money. But they are paid what the market will bear.

The market is rigged. The people that have the money make the rules to keep the money up top. Then they wave the carrot that with hard work anyone can join their club. Just because the market allows it does not mean its good for the market, housing bubble anyone?

The market is rigged. The people that have the money make the rules to keep the money up top. Then they wave the carrot that with hard work anyone can join their club. Just because the market allows it does not mean its good for the market, housing bubble anyone?
But YOU are the market. YOU collectively decide what CEOs and athletes and actors get paid. If there was no interest [read money spent] in professional sports, movies, TV, crap from China, then there would be no astronomical salaries.

Movie stars, sports stars, etc. are paid on the basis of what their names can draw,
So if Robert Downey is in a movie they know it will sell a certain number of tickets so they pay him a lot of money because they know they will make it back.
Even if the movie isn't that good the money will still come in.
He also makes a bunch from toys with his face on them etc.

That's a huge difference from a CEO who is paid 60 million as walkaway for losing 5 billion.
The Big Box Bookstore I worked for paid it's CEO 8.3 million in bonuses the same year it went bankrupt.
We don't have control over those things.

I read an article that said within the next the couple of years the top 1% will have 99% of the combined wealth in the world.
There is something wrong with that market.

Movie stars, sports stars, etc. are paid on the basis of what their names can draw,
So if Robert Downey is in a movie they know it will sell a certain number of tickets so they pay him a lot of money because they know they will make it back.
Even if the movie isn't that good the money will still come in.
He also makes a bunch from toys with his face on them etc.

That's a huge difference from a CEO who is paid 60 million as walkaway for losing 5 billion.
The Big Box Bookstore I worked for paid it's CEO 8.3 million in bonuses the same year it went bankrupt.
We don't have control over those things.

I read an article that said within the next the couple of years the top 1% will have 99% of the combined wealth in the world.
There is something wrong with that market.
CEOs are paid on the basis of what the board of directors believe they will bring to the company. They are no more a gamble than Robert Downey Jr. CEOs get a salary plus bonus based on sales. Robert Downey Jr gets a salary plus bonus based on what the movie brings in. No difference at all. And athletes are a greater gamble. Many of those guys have guaranteed contracts so if they get hurt or just stink, they still get that paycheck for years to come.

But YOU are the market. YOU collectively decide what CEOs and athletes and actors get paid. If there was no interest [read money spent] in professional sports, movies, TV, crap from China, then there would be no astronomical salaries.

We no longer have the power to decide, the rich owns our government. Take "crap from China" even if I wanted to pay more for stuff made in America it is nearly impossible to find anything not made is a overseas sweatshop.

While I do admit that it would help if more people got out and voted, it is not feasible for people to not buy things from rich people. Even what looks to be a small company is normally owned by a bigger company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back