Archived Not So Nice Ex-Team Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for everybody:

Recently, a Team Lead in the same position than me quit. He and I shared the same experience coming into Target (we even ran the same store for another company, just a different times), but he started 6 months after me. As a not so nice move, he left one of his paystubs in my drawer (as he and I did not get along). I found out he was making almost $1.50 more an hour than me, which was a pretty big deal I thought. I found it the day after he left, and had no idea how to respond. My ETL said he had nothing to do with pay decisions, and my ETL-HR said she wasn't allowed to comment on how much other people made. There has to be SOME resource available in Target for me to go to, as this is a HUGE difference in compensation, for pretty much no reason whatsoever. Like I said, same experience, same exact interviews, and it's not like he was bi-lingual, or had any other talents that I didn't have. Can somebody advise on this?

He did it to piss you off & it worked.
He may have negotiated something in pay when he was hired but HR won't tell & doesn't necessarily have to give you a reason. Part of the reason employees are usually discouraged from sharing pay info.
A little parting shot - like leaving a flaming bag of dog poo on someone's doormat.

The fact that he knew it would tick you off makes me think he negotiated something when he started.

I can tell you that personally, I make a dollar or more higher than several other team leads in my store, some of whom have college degrees (i do not), who have been with the company years longer, etc..

They likely did not negotiate their pay when they were offered the job, and I did. I would imagine the same is true in your situation. It is unfortunate, but let it be a lesson. Always ask. if you don't you are sure not to get it. It is an unpleasant conversation but it is worth it. If they agree, you have a bump in pay it would take you YEARS to achieve through raises.. In any case, pursuing the issue will probably NOT get you more money, and you may open a can of worms you can't close. Pay is a sticky subject in terms of confidentiality and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back