Archived Not sure what to do in this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked in for orientation yesterday and I asked a girl who works in target to guide me towards the office, she asked me if I was orientating for cashier. I said no, GSTL she said, "b****" although she said it in a sarcastic joking tone it doesn't sit well with me. She works on the register and is cross trained for other departments. I don't want her to feel as if she can call me a B kidding or not, I don't want her to tell her other friends that she got away with calling me a B...it's not that I don't want to joke around and I'm serious all the time but come on there's a time and place and she has never met me before so why would she think it's okay to call me that? Any advice on how to handle this situation?

My daughter would have smiled and said, "Why, thank you!"
In our house it meant beautiful, intelligent, talented, classy, and honost.
Always best to handle situations like that with humor until you have a good idea exactly what's going on.
Sounds like you've got somebody you might want to keep an eye on though.

Last edited:
You are going to face some opposition coming in to Target from the outside world. People are going to be very disrespectful of you. I hate to tell you that, but it's what I've seen from my experience. To be perfectly honest with you, she probably wasn't just kidding when she called you that. I'm guessing there is some bitterness about an outside getting a GSTL position. The good news is, people can be easily persuaded to change their opinions. Ask for help from your team. It will earn you more respect than if you just try to act like you know what you're doing. It can be a humbling experience though. STAND UP FOR YOUR TEAM. That is the biggest thing. Your team will often feel neglected b/c leadership just doesn't care. As important as cashiering is to day to day operations, leaders tend to focus on things that have deadlines. It is easy to let the rest slip by.

All of that being said, it is absolutely NOT OK that she said that to you. As of right now though, I don't think it is your place to correct that action. Go to one of your leaders (I would probably choose HR for this, you could go to your ETL too, though). Tell them what happened and ask what you should do. I am guessing they will either A) Ignore it for now, but tell you to report it if it happens again, when you are hopefully in your role and can take action against it, or B) Address the issue before themselves before you start. Let's hope for B.

You aree absolutely correct isis i do need their help and it is a very humbling experience and the fact that they are willing to help me makes me that more appreciative of them. I hope to never let them down. As for the girl calling me a B I also feel like I shouldn't let that slide and I will take your advice on that matter. Thank you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back