Archived Nothing in Box 2 on W-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
This is my first year doing taxes since working for spot and as I entered my W-2, I noticed there was nothing listed under box 2 (Federal withholding) and after processing the W-2 into the system my taxes shot up from a $170 federal refund at my other job to $397 owed? Does anyone know if this could be a misprint? Or does spot just not with hold? Very confused, thanks.

This is my first year doing taxes since working for spot and as I entered my W-2, I noticed there was nothing listed under box 2 (Federal withholding) and after processing the W-2 into the system my taxes shot up from a $170 federal refund at my other job to $397 owed? Does anyone know if this could be a misprint? Or does spot just not with hold? Very confused, thanks.

hmm... are you missing the Box 2 With holding from your previous job or from Target's W-2? First thoughts are I'd check to see what you filed your W-4s as, but I'm not a tax expert, hopefully there is one.

hmm... are you missing the Box 2 With holding from your previous job or from Target's W-2? First thoughts are I'd check to see what you filed your W-4s as, but I'm not a tax expert, hopefully there is one.
Lol, I guess I'm an idiot and claimed exempt for some reason. That's what happens when you fill out your W-4 right after turning 16 and have no idea what you're doing :p

well, let's just be glad that's not a mistake worth auditing over and fining you hundreds of dollars for + what you owe lmao.

pretty sure the IRS would do that if they really cared, glad we got that figured out though. Hopefully you re-file your W-4s, probably talk to an HRTM about it.

well, let's just be glad that's not a mistake worth auditing over and fining you hundreds of dollars for + what you owe lmao.

pretty sure the IRS would do that if they really cared, glad we got that figured out though. Hopefully you re-file your W-4s, probably talk to an HRTM about it.
Yeah it said it was like $397 or something. I went on paperless employee and updated them, so I think I should be okay

I did this once. It hurt to have to send that money in, instead of getting a refund

Well at least you got to enjoy bigger paychecks last year.
True, but it would have been nice if I knew I put exempt so I could plan for having to pay all this now

I took my chances and actually claimed the number of exemptions I "should" have because I'm at 1 exemption at my day job and usually end up overpaying, anyway. I don't think my tax liability from Target will be that high, but will be adjusting it for this year once we get our taxes done and have a better idea how to manage that. I'll probably just go for max withholding on both, though, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back