Archived Odd Cashier Acting Like Wanna-Be LOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

soyaxo

So-Called Something Or Other
I was working in shoes today (one of my zones) and this team member I have never seen before approached me. I figured that since I usually close instead of working in the daytime that was why I didn't recognize her. However, she was telling me there was a guest needing simple assistance over in women's boots. Since I was in men's boots all the way by the back wall, I found it odd that she couldn't help them out if it was so "simple". At the time, I didn't realize she was a cashier because I had never met her. I went over to assist the guest and they didn't even need help! It was so awkward. Then she came back and asked if I had a MyDevice and I said that I did not. During this time the guest was confused as heck and slowly inching their way away and continuing to try to shop but I could tell they felt uncomfortable. I work in a high-volume store in Softlines, so most of the times the Hardlines team members have priority over the devices. Everyone usually has a walkie, but not everyone can always have a PDA/MyDevice. For Softlines, operators have priority because..well..They kind of need to print and search for items for guests more often than those of us out on the sales floor, for the most part.

For Softlines, we were sharing one device at the fitting room, which was about a 5-10-second walk away from where shoes are in our store. I mentioned that they had a device at the fitting room and she stated that this guest, "Shouldn't have to walk all the way to the fitting room" and that I "should have a device". I hadn't even said that they had to walk all the way to the fitting room in the first place. In fact, I was just about to offer myself to go grab it really quick and then return when she interrupted me in the middle of talking. Then she asked for my name and said she was going to complain about my lack of guest service and the fact that I didn't have a device with me when I was zoning.

She left and I apologized to the guest who said it was okay and it turns out the team member went to the fitting room and complained to the operator, who knows me well and likes me. The operator told me what had happened when I went to sort my go-backs and put away my foreign from my zones. Then I found out after this all happened that this aforementioned team member was a cashier, not even on her break, and wasn't even supposed to be in that location on the sales floor at that time. It was so odd. The operator and I were talking about it and we were both so confused, especially since she complained to the completely wrong person anyway. After I clocked out I finally saw her actually cashiering. It was the strangest experience. Did I do the wrong thing? Am I supposed to helping all guests in my zone, even those all the way on the other side *Adele's Hello starts playing*? Am I supposed to always have a MyDevice? The oddest thing about it all is I could tell the team member wasn't new. I had met all the seasonal and JIT opening/daytime/closing members prior to this experience.

What is the meaning of life?

My LOD just called me and asked me if I was interested in picking up extra hours this week since I'm a little low compared to usual and I said yes. No mention was made of this team member. :p Such an odd experience, but I'm pretty happy to get extra hours because this week would have been the least hours I've ever had, so I'm happy the day will be ending on the lighter note. :)

Last edited:
Don't worry about it.
There is always going to be one of 'those' in just about every store, hell, in just about every business.

Just do your job the way you know how to do it and don't let them bother you.
Sometimes they might have something to valid to add, then use it.
If it's not, then ignore it.

Best practice says walkie and pda/mydevice for every tm on the salesfloor. It's not going to happen. So long as you were following your stores practice you should be fine.

She sounds like she could be a transfer or one of the college kids if you came on after summer. She can complain all she wants to whomever. So long as you can speak to why you had no device and explain one was within reach should you have actually needed it it's unlikely to go faster than that.

I remember have a newb come up to my counter to tell me my endcap needed zoning.
I looked at him & said "Sorry, who are you....?"
When he babbled that he was zoning in such & such area & noticed mine was 'lacking' I looked at him impassively & said "Yeh, we'll get right to that." before walking off.

I feel like those people feel that that is the fastes way they'll get promoted. No one wants a snitch. If that TM is a cashier, she shouldn't even be in Softlines unless she was asked to help zone or fold tables.

The names of the ETLs and STL are on the ETL/STL schedule. That's the best way to know if someone is an ETL or STL. ETLs and the STL usually dress more professionally ie a polo shirt or dress shirt.

If I was the supreme ruler and leader of Target, every team member would have a walkie and mydevice/PDA. I've had heated arguments with the STL over the costs of equipment and I simply told him that I didn't care about the costs. You need to stop sucking ass and stop being such a tight ass on money and provide ample equipment so team members especially salesfloor team members have walkies and mydevices. I don't care about your bonuses either or if other team members break and/or steal equipment. That's your problem, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back