Archived Off the Record HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever had a question you couldn’t ask HR? Well here, it’s Off the Record.

Saturday is our busiest day of the week, and evenings even more so. So why in God's name do we keep waiting until the second Saturday to cut payroll hours when we've been in the red on sales for the last ten days???

Saturday is our busiest day of the week, and evenings even more so. So why in God's name do we keep waiting until the second Saturday to cut payroll hours when we've been in the red on sales for the last ten days???
Well first I’ll say every store is different. When we do payroll cuts we try to cut so as not to affect coverage. Ultimately it’s up to the HR Leader, recently my store had to make drastic cuts because we were over 4000 hours 😰. If the hr team isn’t taking coverage and business needs into account that’s on them.

All I have to say about HR is that they are here to protect the company. It may sound harsh. Ultimately, they exist to help the company make money just like every other position.
It’s true but we’re also here for the team members! I know sometimes it can feel like we’re not but we are. We want you to succeed and I don’t want to term you.

I understand ASANTS, buuut I was told that the seasonal Tm’s would get talked to before they got fired or permanently hired and none of that happened. People did get let go, but for those of us who survived the picking process, we were given no warning or confirmation despite being told it would happen. Why is this? again I know ASANTS but... why?

I understand ASANTS, buuut I was told that the seasonal Tm’s would get talked to before they got fired or permanently hired and none of that happened. People did get let go, but for those of us who survived the picking process, we were given no warning or confirmation despite being told it would happen. Why is this? again I know ASANTS but... why?
This is tricky. As you said, ASANTS, but as far as I know, this is something that just tends to get forgotten, just like the new TM check-ins. If your ETL is gone when the decision time comes, you'll likely only hear about it if you aren't staying because you have to.

I was not told I was staying either. Whether or not I even wanted to stay was never brought up in any discussions with me. On the one hand, it seems odd and kind of rude. I talk to my SrTL and ETL all the time. We obviously get along or I wouldn't have been kept. A simple, "Do you want to stay on?" during one of our many other discussions would have been nice. On the other hand, as long as I keep getting scheduled I'm not complaining too much.

Why nothing was said probably isn't the reason that @tholmes mentioned. My ETL is almost always there. Even when she's not there there, she's there likely through leadership's group chat or in her office making out the schedule. I would guess, that it's the opposite. I wasn't there when the decision was made or the next day. Thus, it got on the list of things ETL meant to do, but never got around to because other things came up.

I was not told I was staying either. Whether or not I even wanted to stay was never brought up in any discussions with me. On the one hand, it seems odd and kind of rude. I talk to my SrTL and ETL all the time. We obviously get along or I wouldn't have been kept. A simple, "Do you want to stay on?" during one of our many other discussions would have been nice. On the other hand, as long as I keep getting scheduled I'm not complaining too much.

Why nothing was said probably isn't the reason that @tholmes mentioned. My ETL is almost always there. Even when she's not there there, she's there likely through leadership's group chat or in her office making out the schedule. I would guess, that it's the opposite. I wasn't there when the decision was made or the next day. Thus, it got on the list of things ETL meant to do, but never got around to because other things came up.
I was never notified I would be potentially leaving until I got a random call, way later than it should have been. They told me my last day was a few days later. I was shocked, I told my ETL that night and they were shocked too. No one else knew about it except probably the HR ETL (who I didn't know nearly as well as everyone else). The ETL that I told actually called one of the others that night as soon as he heard of it. The leaders that worked with me extensively ending up vouching for me. I had a week where I wasn't scheduled because of it, but somehow they reversed the process and I was able to permanently keep the job. I feel like I owe them a lot for standing up for me honestly. So I actually have some pretty cool managers, I really don't want to let them down in anyway.

If a coworker asks me if I'm sick/ or what's wrong with me, am I allowed to actually say I'm having really bad cramps/ cramps are making me sick to my stomach etc, or would that get me into trouble somehow. Recently an etl I was closing with thought I had the flu and it was interesting coming up with a reply to him. Endometriosis is fun...

It’s true but we’re also here for the team members! I know sometimes it can feel like we’re not but we are. We want you to succeed and I don’t want to term you.

Maybe you don't. But sometimes a tm gets targeted for termination. It happens. Can you say you've never seen it happen?

If a coworker asks me if I'm sick/ or what's wrong with me, am I allowed to actually say I'm having really bad cramps/ cramps are making me sick to my stomach etc, or would that get me into trouble somehow. Recently an etl I was closing with thought I had the flu and it was interesting coming up with a reply to him. Endometriosis is fun...
You are allowed to say what you want. Or nothing, if you want.
Intermittent FMLA.

Maybe you don't. But sometimes a tm gets targeted for termination. It happens. Can you say you've never seen it happen?

It happens all the time, but it’s out of our control. If the etl or stl doesn’t like that tm they will find what they can no matter how small to term them. Target keeps what qualifies To get you termed pretty loose.

I will also say that if you’re being pushed out 99% of the time at least in my experience it’s justified.

No one WANTS to fire anyone.

Last edited:
All I have to say about HR is that they are here to protect the company. It may sound harsh. Ultimately, they exist to help the company make money just like every other position.
Because when the TM succeeds, the company makes more money. When terms happen, the company looses money. Lol

It happens all the time, but it’s out of our control. If the etl or stl doesn’t like that tm they will find what they can no matter how small to term them. Target keeps what qualifies To get you termed pretty loose.

I will also say that if your being pushed out 99% of the time at least in my experience it’s justified.

No one WANTS to fire anyone.

No one is a large number.

Sometimes, when a tm has been around a long time, more than 2 decades, and that tm has expensive medical issues, things happen. Someone wanted this person gone. Stellar employee, pushed out. I have no proof. Believe it or not.

That was a major issue all last year in my store. This year, it's a tad better. The issue was giving 40 hours to 2 longtime who work only weekdays. The solution was forced into frontend, and I suspect that store manager said, fix it. They relied upon sales floor to cashier.

Sometimes, when a tm has been around a long time, more than 2 decades, and that tm has expensive medical issues, things happen. Someone wanted this person gone. Stellar employee, pushed out. I have no proof. Believe it or not.

Believe it, seen it happen.

My question is, does store level leadership see what kind/ how much a TM generates in medical expenses? Or is that info culled by leadership just kind of listening to TMs talk about their health (problems)?

No one is a large number.

I absolutely have proof that people with medical conditions, even protected ones, are targeted for termination... It's vile, and often those TMs' issues don't even affect their work all that much, or they're so scared to lose their job they work 3 times as hard to make up for any problems they have.

My question is, does store level leadership see what kind/ how much a TM generates in medical expenses? Or is that info culled by leadership just kind of listening to TMs talk about their health (problems)?

They're not supposed to know, HIPAA and all... but the day I found out that Rally had all of my health details, medications and doctor visits without my having signed up previously for the website, I started to be really worried that Target had a loophole that allowed them access to people's information.
If you think about it, Target is "self-insured" so it's VERY likely they have access to all your personal information.

I doubt anyone at the store level, even the stl, knows the medical expenses of individual TMS. I think corporate watches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back