Archived Offered a position - SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today my GSTL approached me that there was a GSA position open and that I should apply.
I had spoken to the LOD and was excited that I was applying but she didn’t give me any information on how to apply for this position.
Some help, and some advice would be great.
Thanks!

Today my GSTL approached me that there was a GSA position open and that I should apply.
I had spoken to the LOD and was excited that I was applying but she didn’t give me any information on how to apply for this position.
Some help, and some advice would be great.
Thanks!

EHR Opened Positions. The rest should look like Target Careers. Search for your store and GSA position. Talk to your ETL and STL so they know your interested

I think this is a position that depends a lot on your store and (especially) your leadership. I am a former GSA/SEA (Service and Engagement Advocate; the title changed with modernization). It can be a stepping stone to a promotion. (I know of three people who were promoted; one eventually made it to ETL. It isn't a guarantee, though, so beware carrot-dangling.)

Things about the job I think are universally true: GSA is a limbo zone where you're seen as a "manager" by guests (who don't know or care about Target's structure), but you really aren't. The majority of your guest interactions become negative as a result. As GSA, you can't coach, etc., and TMs know it. Some (not all) front end TMs will abuse that knowledge when you're in charge of the front and no other TLs/ETLs are around. You have to be able to stand your ground, and not be afraid to report them to people who can document and coach if necessary. You have to be able to deal with all of that and more as TL, so if you have your sights set on that, it is a good stepping stone/training ground.

As GSA, I had an hours guarantee, but I think that's ASANTS. I was supposed to have every other weekend off. (Again, ASANTS.) Because people rarely stayed in the position, that didn't happen often. When we were fully staffed, though, HR always honored that guarantee. I'm sure how GSAs are treated by leadership is another case of ASANTS. In my case, my GSTLs at my old store (and new one, for that matter) were great. The fantastic GE who hired me was, unfortunately, replaced by one who was impossible. The three-way pressure from said impossible GE, unhappy guests, and overworked cashiers/GSTMs (who had my sympathy, but who I could do little to help) was too much for me. Losing my pay differential (as @Amanda Cantwell mentioned) felt like a slap in the face.

I quit Spot to pursue another opportunity, and when that didn't work out, I switched stores to dodge the position (and, frankly, that GE). I've had a lot of company. The GSTLs remain, but only one GSA from my tenure is still there. (GSA tends to be a high-turnover position.) The others have transferred to other areas/stores -- not always as TLs -- or left altogether. I'm happy to run the front to cover 15s/meals at my new store, and to otherwise support the GSTLs/GSAs. I don't want the job again, though.

Search "GSA" here and see what others' perspectives on the position were; don't just take my word for it. As with everything else, ASANTS rules. Consider your own store and most important, look at what you want and where you want to go. Then make the best decision for yourself. Good luck!

Last edited:
The pay increase depends on your store. After having many conversations with my HR she took it my STL who was able to get the pay increase for GSA (and a few other positions) back. I think it has mostly to do with how terribly staffed we are.

As for the weekends rotations and hours, full hours were promised to every TL and GSA storewide. If any hours had to be cut it would be from regular TMs. No matter how short staffed we are, I always give my GSTLs and GSAs weekend off, based on their availabilities. If they were mostly open and able to close at least once a week, then they got their rotations. If they were only part time, weren't as available or could never close, then they worked every weekend.

GSA is a great stepping stone to other positions. You can go on to become a GSTL or a salesfloor TL.

Last edited:
The pay increase depends on your store. After having many conversations with my HR she took it my STL who was able to get the pay increase for GSA (and a few other positions) back. I think it has mostly to do with how terribly staffed we are.

As for the weekends rotations and hours, full hours were promised to every TL and GSA storewide. If any hours had to be cut it would be from regular TMs. No matter how short staffed we are, I always fiv emy GSTLs and GSAs weekend off, based on their availabilities. If they were mostly open and able to close at least once a week, then they got their rotations. If they were only part time, weren't as available or could never close, then they worked every weekend.

GSA is a great stepping stone to other positions. You can go on to become a GSTL or a salesfloor TL.

how would you feel about a GSA who mostly/only wanted to close?

No one on our team wants to close either 😂 the closers love calling out!!

I really don't like waking up in the morning lmao so if I were GSA I'd want to close most of the time and it sounds like none of the GSAs want to close anyway so....
Wow, I thought you already were a GSA. Go or it. I haven't worked for a GE who wouldn't be thrilled to have one with nighttime preferences.

@Kiki0204 -- the response from @LearningTree perfectly illustrates what I meant by ASANTS and the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back