Archived Offered TL position in Grocery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for anyone who works in Meat Dairy Frozen, what does your daily schedule look like for your team for the whole day?

Currently at my store we have one in Meat one in frozen one in Dairy and they only are scheduled 5.5 hours, mid shifts only. I’m not sure how this is even a worthwhile model? Zero closers over this whole area? How can we be ready for business for the next day? I want to make this successful but this would be honestly real challenging to execute all tasks and have a great zone at the end of it.

Question for anyone who works in Meat Dairy Frozen, what does your daily schedule look like for your team for the whole day?

Currently at my store we have one in Meat one in frozen one in Dairy and they only are scheduled 5.5 hours, mid shifts only. I’m not sure how this is even a worthwhile model? Zero closers over this whole area? How can we be ready for business for the next day? I want to make this successful but this would be honestly real challenging to execute all tasks and have a great zone at the end of it.
You should bring this up to your ETL/SD, they love hearing about how we need more TMs 😳
Edit:- Fresh and Full by 8 lol, not when your pfresh “opener” is scheduled at 9 😂

ASANTS, I suppose, but at my store that was the position from Hell and then some, and that was before Modernization. They worked our TL practically to death, bitching and nagging at him constantly for things that were beyond his control, like the truck coming late. The team was so constantly understaffed that pushing the truck was all that they had time to do most of the time, they had way more product than could be fit into the freezer/ coolers in a way that any of it could be efficiently accessed, backstock was rarely finished, location accuracy metrics were nearly always red, expired product was rarely pulled and when it was the amount of QMOS was unreal. Your store might be better, or there might be a reason why the TL position has been vacant for months. Either way, good luck.
Agree 100%

I've held 4 different TL positions (won't disclose which because they were all in the same store and obvious it's me), one of which was Food and Bev. I'm in a low volume pfresh store, and it was by far the worst. However, the TL before me left it a huge dumpster fire, given their unwillingness to implement the new operating model under modernization. If you inherit a good or even decent workcenter, it is definitely a good position to showcase yourself if you want to move up eventually. If you inherit a shit hole, it's a good position to showcase yourself having a mental breakdown in the smoking section outside when you don't even smoke. Not that I would know........ 😬

I have one Tm each for meat, dairy, frozen and produce. Each get minimum 6.75 hours each pfresh truck day. When hours are super low, meat Tm might get 4.5 for 1 of 3 pfresh truck days (which is the day that I am there).
Dairy Tm starts at 630am, produce Tm at 7am, meat Tm at 11am, and frozen Tm at 3p.

I have one Tm each for meat, dairy, frozen and produce. Each get minimum 6.75 hours each pfresh truck day. When hours are super low, meat Tm might get 4.5 for 1 of 3 pfresh truck days (which is the day that I am there).
Dairy Tm starts at 630am, produce Tm at 7am, meat Tm at 11am, and frozen Tm at 3p.

Question for you, that Frozen TM that closes, does he help With the zone in Dairy as well before he leaves at night. And how does the staggering schedules fair against FDC for Frozen and Dairy with the opposite schedules shifts?

All of dairy is zoned before frozen TM gets in. Some days, like today for example, frozen Tm won’t push any frozen. Pfresh Truck was small, so I made the decision to pull my meat Tm to finish the 4 dry uboats that rolled over from yesterday. Produce Tm was able to take care of produce and fresh meat. Dairy Tm took care one of two dairy pallets and eggs. Frozen Tm came in, zoned frozen and finished last three dairy/meat/deli uboats. Tomorrow my produce Tm opens and will take care of any produce that wasn’t incredible necessary to push (some salads really). Then tomorrow I have my dairy Tm work 4.5 hours in the afternoon and will knock out frozen pallet. It’s a team effort. Pfresh will be finished before our Saturday delivery.

All of dairy is zoned before frozen TM gets in. Some days, like today for example, frozen Tm won’t push any frozen. Pfresh Truck was small, so I made the decision to pull my meat Tm to finish the 4 dry uboats that rolled over from yesterday. Produce Tm was able to take care of produce and fresh meat. Dairy Tm took care one of two dairy pallets and eggs. Frozen Tm came in, zoned frozen and finished last three dairy/meat/deli uboats. Tomorrow my produce Tm opens and will take care of any produce that wasn’t incredible necessary to push (some salads really). Then tomorrow I have my dairy Tm work 4.5 hours in the afternoon and will knock out frozen pallet. It’s a team effort. Pfresh will be finished before our Saturday delivery.

I think I like that idea. If My ETL becomes a bit flexibile with new schedule changes with the limited hours we are allocated, I’d probably do produce & Meat @7a, Dairy @11a, Frozen @3

I think I like that idea. If My ETL becomes a bit flexibile with new schedule changes with the limited hours we are allocated, I’d probably do produce & Meat @7a, Dairy @11a, Frozen @3

Only reason I have my dairy TM so early is because I need someone to pull/push diary/frozen (and sometimes meat/deli/pro autos) and because USUALLY pfresh arrives by 9am and the two of them unload/stage the truck. Also we almost always prioritize dairy over frozen. Gotta get that yogurt and juice on the shelf. Anyway there was a good few months where the truck was coming in at like 11am... which sucked. But we either had a pallet from previous truck anyway, or I would ask dairy Tm to come in at like 8a or 9a, once I checked truck eta. The team is usually flexible like that.

Only reason I have my dairy TM so early is because I need someone to pull/push diary/frozen (and sometimes meat/deli/pro autos) and because USUALLY pfresh arrives by 9am and the two of them unload/stage the truck. Also we almost always prioritize dairy over frozen. Gotta get that yogurt and juice on the shelf. Anyway there was a good few months where the truck was coming in at like 11am... which sucked. But we either had a pallet from previous truck anyway, or I would ask dairy Tm to come in at like 8a or 9a, once I checked truck eta. The team is usually flexible like that.

Our truck seems to never arrive early but I do agree with you that I prioritize dairy over Frozen. Especially since they have a shorter shelf life too and the items sells quickly. If our truck was more consistent on being early I’d probably opt for Dairy coming in that early as well.

Our truck seems to never arrive early but I do agree with you that I prioritize dairy over Frozen. Especially since they have a shorter shelf life too and the items sells quickly. If our truck was more consistent on being early I’d probably opt for Dairy coming in that early as well.
It’s definitely not easy to figure out. I’ve always prioritized dairy but I used to do so in a way that frozen was ignored. And the freezer would be so messy and stuffed that eventually we’d all have to blitz out two pallets of frozen just to stage the delivery we’d be receiving any minute lol. For me it’s all about maintaining. Keep the coolers clean and the sales floor zoned and fresh. This is a struggle but once we did that, everything else was just a bit easier to manage. Please don’t take this to mean we come clean everyday because we almost never do. But my shelves are stocked/ zoned and we never leave backstock. Don’t want to NOT complete truck push AND leave tubs and tubs of backstock, which already screws up the next day more than it already will be lol.

It’s definitely not easy to figure out. I’ve always prioritized dairy but I used to do so in a way that frozen was ignored. And the freezer would be so messy and stuffed that eventually we’d all have to blitz out two pallets of frozen just to stage the delivery we’d be receiving any minute lol. For me it’s all about maintaining. Keep the coolers clean and the sales floor zoned and fresh. This is a struggle but once we did that, everything else was just a bit easier to manage. Please don’t take this to mean we come clean everyday because we almost never do. But my shelves are stocked/ zoned and we never leave backstock. Don’t want to NOT complete truck push AND leave tubs and tubs of backstock, which already screws up the next day more than it already will be lol.

I think ultimately if my shelves are packed, outdated items are being pulled, Brand is great I can be okay if truck isn’t 100% every shift. Of course I am pushing for the truck to be done completely all the time, but not to sound like I’m drinking the kool aid but I rather not have the truck 100% at the expense of the guest experience, I rather not let the guest experience suffer ( I just threw up in my mouth saying this lol)

Honestly even as a guest shopping at any store, my biggest pet peeves were empty shelves, or a whole clutter of mess that was never zoned. So I want to treat my departments the same way I want to be treated through the eyes of a guest.

But I’m a big stickler for a clean area and clean Backroom, 100%

I think ultimately if my shelves are packed, outdated items are being pulled, Brand is great I can be okay if truck isn’t 100% every shift. Of course I am pushing for the truck to be done completely all the time, but not to sound like I’m drinking the kool aid but I rather not have the truck 100% at the expense of the guest experience, I rather not let the guest experience suffer ( I just threw up in my mouth saying this lol)

Honestly even as a guest shopping at any store, my biggest pet peeves were empty shelves, or a whole clutter of mess that was never zoned. So I want to treat my departments the same way I want to be treated through the eyes of a guest.

But I’m a big stickler for a clean area and clean Backroom, 100%
I know it seems cheesy to have that true “guest first” mindset, but the reality is that’s it’s legit lol. The reality is that we literally wouldn’t be there if guests didn’t buy the stuff we put on the shelves. So we need to make sure we keep them coming back to buy stuff from our shelves. We are not just a company of stores racing to finish trucks for the heck of it. For me, that’s what get me through the days of needy or annoying guests.

Sounds like you’re going to enjoy this position. It’s just hard to take a red work center (especially food imo), ohhhh but once YOU turn it around and you’re green....

🤯😍🙌👏👏👏

I think I was just ready for a different area on a mental level. I’m sure I’ll have my own shitty days but I’m tired of the “I just zoned literally all the toys perfectly just for some bratty un-watched 8yr old smack every toy off the shelf and dump every item on my price scanners and floors” shitty days....

Kids made Toys an unpleasant department to manage lol

So I’m currently already a GMTL at my store, but this week my store director offered me TL position on the grocery side that would oversee Meat/Dairy/Frozen. We currently had this position vacant for the last 3-4 months.

I’m trying to get some insight on just what I would be getting myself into or should I decline?
I’ve never worked on anything food related in any of my previous jobs so dealing with food will be a completely new territory for me. I would be lying I I said I wasn’t slightly terrified of a new area like that.
I have until Friday to give my answer to our SD.
Apparently our store has 4 GMTL but we are only eligible for three so one of the GMTLs would hopefully fill that TL position for meat/dairy or otherwise I’m not sure if we all decline if one of us would be forced to take it or have to transfer.

How hard is this position compared to other leadership roles? I feel with all the food regulations it sounds like a lot in my head but my anxiety could be overthinking it.

It's not too hard. Smaller team, but at my store FDC was fucked to hell. It wasn't our fault, but just we never got clean on anything. It's a relatively relaxed position, I'd take it. Most of your time will be spent pushing freight in frozen dairy, you will probably need to find a trust-worthy TM/PA who could watch over Meat most of the time. That's how it was at my store.

You'll be working a lot on the floor. I'm not 100% sure behind what goes into logistics here but it's truck paperwork, egg/milk order, scheduling, and other little various things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back