Archived Offered TL position in Grocery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m currently already a GMTL at my store, but this week my store director offered me TL position on the grocery side that would oversee Meat/Dairy/Frozen. We currently had this position vacant for the last 3-4 months.

I’m trying to get some insight on just what I would be getting myself into or should I decline?
I’ve never worked on anything food related in any of my previous jobs so dealing with food will be a completely new territory for me. I would be lying I I said I wasn’t slightly terrified of a new area like that.
I have until Friday to give my answer to our SD.
Apparently our store has 4 GMTL but we are only eligible for three so one of the GMTLs would hopefully fill that TL position for meat/dairy or otherwise I’m not sure if we all decline if one of us would be forced to take it or have to transfer.

How hard is this position compared to other leadership roles? I feel with all the food regulations it sounds like a lot in my head but my anxiety could be overthinking it.

Depends on the current state of the area. Without a lead for that long it could be difficult unless the ETL was playing babysitter. You deal with vendors who are usually pretty garbage (NASATS but ours about half garbage half decent) and if your team doesn't understand FIFO that's a struggle. There are also daily orders to be done and making sure QMOS is done. It's a different beast from what you know as GM but with a solid team and the right routines it works well.

Secondary, but when I was first on the bench I was offered that position at a store that had a front loading milk cooler. Those are a pain in the ass to restock. I passed.

Led to me getting the TL position I wanted back then. Now with plus mobile? 🤮

ASANTS, I suppose, but at my store that was the position from Hell and then some, and that was before Modernization. They worked our TL practically to death, bitching and nagging at him constantly for things that were beyond his control, like the truck coming late. The team was so constantly understaffed that pushing the truck was all that they had time to do most of the time, they had way more product than could be fit into the freezer/ coolers in a way that any of it could be efficiently accessed, backstock was rarely finished, location accuracy metrics were nearly always red, expired product was rarely pulled and when it was the amount of QMOS was unreal. Your store might be better, or there might be a reason why the TL position has been vacant for months. Either way, good luck.

Secondary, but when I was first on the bench I was offered that position at a store that had a front loading milk cooler. Those are a pain in the ass to restock. I passed.

I'll admit it sucks ass to load milk on a metro then pull it to the floor but if you aren't able to make do with what you got then I don't want you on my team

I'll admit it sucks ass to load milk on a metro then pull it to the floor but if you aren't able to make do with what you got then I don't want you on my team

Honestly, to front load that, I wouldn't want to be on your team. That's garbage. The amount of time it takes to properly FIFO, that's a waste of time. Also, I'm concerned about how long your milk is out on the floor. I'm buying milk, not soon to be yogurt.

I'm not mad at you, NGK, just pointing out that that in particular is awful

Did we just become frenemies? Anyways OP, go with your heart, if it seems like it will be a large undertaking and you're happy in your current position, don't take on the shitshow. If you feel up to it, do it. You do you, do what you feel you're capable of.

Just realized I rearranged ASANTS to NASATS. Dyslexia is real and if you or a loved one was affected call 1-800-THISGUY. NASATS also works. Not all stores are the same

ASANTS, I suppose, but at my store that was the position from Hell and then some, and that was before Modernization. They worked our TL practically to death, bitching and nagging at him constantly for things that were beyond his control, like the truck coming late. The team was so constantly understaffed that pushing the truck was all that they had time to do most of the time, they had way more product than could be fit into the freezer/ coolers in a way that any of it could be efficiently accessed, backstock was rarely finished, location accuracy metrics were nearly always red, expired product was rarely pulled and when it was the amount of QMOS was unreal. Your store might be better, or there might be a reason why the TL position has been vacant for months. Either way, good luck.

I think that’s some of my fears that I’m having.

Right now I feel like my GM Team is almost completely solid and I feel like I’m in a great spot. My areas are completely comping, my guys have a great routine, but I fear going into this new area that I may run into those issues you mentioned which would basically be out of my control.

I can’t control staffing conflicts, and it does worry me that when I first joined target they did not have anyone in that section either. Then I want to say few months in they found someone for the spot and within 3 months he either quit or was fired and they haven’t filled that void since.

Either way what makes this decision more stressful is that our store currently has 4 GMTL but my SD l basically told me our store volume doesn’t qualify for four GMTL, only 3. So I don’t know what the reality be if I said no. Would that mean if no one took the position, could be a possibility me or one of the GMTL would have to transfer to stay at Target?

I can’t control staffing conflicts, and it does worry me that when I first joined target they did not have anyone in that section either. Then I want to say few months in they found someone for the spot and within 3 months he either quit or was fired and they haven’t filled that void since
There's a reason that the SD can't fill and keep that position filled. Usually they aren't good reasons either. Can you reach out to HR and see how long the TMs have been in market and how their attendance is?

Keep in mind if you stay in GM, you are going to inherit additional sections to run and TMs to supervise due to being bumped down in TL count in GM.

There's a reason that the SD can't fill and keep that position filled. Usually they aren't good reasons either. Can you reach out to HR and see how long the TMs have been in market and how their attendance is?

Keep in mind if you stay in GM, you are going to inherit additional sections to run and TMs to supervise due to being bumped down in TL count in GM.

Extra sections in GM doesn’t scare me honestly. When I first joined target all the hardlines TL quit/fired at the same time so I was literally the only hardlines TL for the first three months and I literally had to manage all of hardlines. Though I had support from the ETL I won’t lie. As difficult as it was I’m not scared of having more sections for the GM salesfloor, granted it will be extremely challenging but It’s familiar territory.

So you took the HLTL role on when it was vacated and did it by yourself. In the time since more TLs have been added and you have cultivated a solid team. I think the SD was seeking you out to get F&B in line. Your SD clearly thinks highly of you and knows F&B is a mess and they are looking to invest in you to get it where it needs to be. Yes, it’s a challenging role and yes, there are times our FBTL has to step off stage and release the stress. This could be the opportunity for you to turn around a department and would give you plenty of things to speak to for future promotions or job opportunities. If you do decide to stay in GM (and that would be safe and within your comfort zone, totally wouldn’t think less of you if you did) then your SD will have to either force one of the GMTL to be FBTL or transfer to a different store and they’ll have to hire a new TL.

So you took the HLTL role on when it was vacated and did it by yourself. In the time since more TLs have been added and you have cultivated a solid team. I think the SD was seeking you out to get F&B in line. Your SD clearly thinks highly of you and knows F&B is a mess and they are looking to invest in you to get it where it needs to be. Yes, it’s a challenging role and yes, there are times our FBTL has to step off stage and release the stress. This could be the opportunity for you to turn around a department and would give you plenty of things to speak to for future promotions or job opportunities. If you do decide to stay in GM (and that would be safe and within your comfort zone, totally wouldn’t think less of you if you did) then your SD will have to either force one of the GMTL to be FBTL or transfer to a different store and they’ll have to hire a new TL.

I spoke with my ETL-F&B today and the conversation felt a little more reassuring, though still slightly feeling anxious about a new territory but I think I’m going to take a shot at a new role. And just like you mentioned, if I could pull this off, would definitely open doors for possible future promotions if I can turn the department around and show consistent results. Will have my final conversation with my SD tomorrow, thank you everyone.

Last edited:
For clarification, you're only getting Meat - Dairy - Frozen? Are you in a Supertarget or a Pfresh? If Pfresh, jump on that!

That's a relatively small area to cover with your main focuses being food safety and instocks. With those areas, your team should be pretty small and easy to manage. Even if your inheriting a hot mess, you should be able to recover with good planning.

If you are getting all of Grocery - Dry/Dairy/Frozen/Meat/Bakery/Alcohol - be ready to be under pressure all the time. In busy stores Grocery is 25% of the sales, but you get nowhere near 25% of the hours to work. It takes alot of planning, tonnes of team followup, and the ability to grit your teeth and nod your head yes when your leadership tosses more workload onto your already overburdened team.

It can be worth it, it can be fulfilling, but it won't be the cakewalk that GM was.

For clarification, you're only getting Meat - Dairy - Frozen? Are you in a Supertarget or a Pfresh? If Pfresh, jump on that!

That's a relatively small area to cover with your main focuses being food safety and instocks. With those areas, your team should be pretty small and easy to manage. Even if your inheriting a hot mess, you should be able to recover with good planning.

If you are getting all of Grocery - Dry/Dairy/Frozen/Meat/Bakery/Alcohol - be ready to be under pressure all the time. In busy stores Grocery is 25% of the sales, but you get nowhere near 25% of the hours to work. It takes alot of planning, tonnes of team followup, and the ability to grit your teeth and nod your head yes when your leadership tosses more workload onto your already overburdened team.

It can be worth it, it can be fulfilling, but it won't be the cakewalk that GM was.

As far as what’s discussed, I’m just TL over Meat Dairy Frozen. We have a TL over Bakery area and a TL over Produce. There isn’t any one over consumables and don’t think there are any plans for that. I think between myself and the Produce TL we both share consumables.

Had my first day today in Frozen. Was actually very engaging day, may like this role. Just want to see what the worst days feel like and see how I can handle it.

Oh man, if that position was available at my store, there would be people fighting for it. But we are a really low volume store so we don't have many TL's.

Our FBTL position (that we had vacant then filled, then vacant again) is new to our store and it is over Starbucks, Food Ave/Pizza Hut, Grocery, Consumables, Meat, Frozen, Dairy, etc. I'm not sure how that's going to work out. Currently GM1 and GM2 are sharing Grocery/Consumables but neither of us are doing anything with anything refrigerated or frozen, or anything Food Ave/Starbucks. So I don't know who is doing that, if it is one of our ETL's or if they are training someone to do it, or if they are just having a TM do all the ordering and such.

But anyway, good luck! Hope it is all going well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back