Archived [ON] How do your nights go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More of a question of curiosity.

What is everyone's ON process for processing freight, pulls, FDC, etc.? What volume store are you? On average what are your RDC and FDC truck sizes looking like? Do you find your stores process exceptional, barely cutting it, or not finishing at all? How does it all change in 4th quarter? Etc. I'll start!

I work at a AA store that is on the bubble of being a AAA volume store. For the last year and change there has been talks about us possibly being upgraded to a AAA, but nothing so far. Our truck sizes range from 2100-2800, seeing 3000-3300 during 4th quarter. I would probably say our average is ~2400ish. Pulls usually range from 1100-1400 a night. During 4th quarter we see pulls of 1800-2500 on a daily basis. We take 6 RDC trucks and 5 FDC trucks a week normally. We run with 5 in the backroom every night, 1 being receiving after pulls are complete. Everyone else on the floor. In grocery each team member is in a grocery aisle with a TL that over see's it all. 2 in HB/Pharmacy/Cosmetics, 2 in soft lines, 1 in baby, 1 in electronics, then usually 1 to bowl the rest of the store with a TL.

Team members start to trickle into areas of need after they've completed their areas, also depending on the arrival of our FDC since it can come anywhere from 1AM to 6AM. Our backroom usually processes all the freight back stock from the truck, moving to the back stock from the floor. Also, they tend to end up pushing Housewares, Small Appliances, Office, Stationary, as well as One Spot. On the heavier days they will usually also push Toys, Sporting Goods, Domestics, Bedding, and Furniture. They do a lot and stockroom A and B almost work independently and separately. The rest of the team strolls on through whatever isn't left.

Our Frozen/Dairy system is fairly simple. It comes off the truck and is broken down and then either sent to the cooler/freezer until the team can get to it or we work it right then and there, starting with frozen and then dairy.

Our truck sizes range from 2100-2800, seeing 3000-3300 during 4th quarter. I would probably say our average is ~2400ish. Pulls usually range from 1100-1400 a night. During 4th quarter we see pulls of 1800-2500 on a daily basis. We take 6 RDC trucks and 5 FDC trucks a week normally.

I work at D volume store and this is blowing my mind lol. We only have 3 RDC trucks and 3 FDC trucks a week, and I don't think I've ever seen a truck over maybe 2400. I can't even imagine 3000+!

Our truck sizes range from 2100-2800, seeing 3000-3300 during 4th quarter. I would probably say our average is ~2400ish. Pulls usually range from 1100-1400 a night. During 4th quarter we see pulls of 1800-2500 on a daily basis. We take 6 RDC trucks and 5 FDC trucks a week normally.

I work at D volume store and this is blowing my mind lol. We only have 3 RDC trucks and 3 FDC trucks a week, and I don't think I've ever seen a truck over maybe 2400. I can't even imagine 3000+!

I know, right!? I'm at a C volume, push-all, 7:30 unload store with 3 RDC and 3 FDC trucks as well. Our biggest trucks I've seen have been 2,600 or so.

I work a AA store with 6 RDC + 3 FDC trucks per week. The trucks generally range the same size as the OP. I don't know the full details but from what I've seen any time I've ever worked overnight for projects:

Pre-9:30pm:
Dayside backroom sets the line, stages all backstock from daytime CAF pulls/sales planner changes/etc., and pulls Price Changes and TnT batches. This is the absolute bare minimum that we require done and the only allowable reason for it not to be is for unavoidable stuff like call ins or LOD pulling BR TMs onto something else.

After the above is complete, the dayside backroom spends the rest of the night backstocking. Generally they should be able to complete most, if not all, of it.

9:30 -10:00 pm:
O/N TLs punch in. The backroom TL starts staging carts/flats/tubs at the ends of the aisles for the Autofill. The other TL pulls out the extendable conveyor, checks the seal #, opens the truck, acknowledges the DCI, and arranges receiving in whatever way he wants for the unload.

10:00 pm to however long it takes:
Around 10-12 people come in for the unload. A couple of them run pallets to the floor and bowl stock down the aisles. I've seen a couple lining up carts in HBA and Softlines to sort out their stuff. The rest of the o/n backroom comes in and pulls the Autofill.

30 minute break after unload. During which, the TL/ETL draw up floor assignments for the flow team. After break, they announce the assignments and start stocking. I believe that backroom does their break after they finish pulling the autofill. After which, they begin the truck backstock. At some point (around 3ish?) they all take lunch. After that, all I know is that the floor stocks their areas, works the pulls, and brings backstock to the back. The backroom finishes backstock, does any project work that may have been sent their way (such as purging NCF seasonal stuff from the backroom to be flexed in throughout the day), cleans up, and gets out.

That's about all I know of the specifics of our O/N process. I only know that much from occasional observation. It works fine most of the time as long as payroll isn't being messed with. During BTS and 4th quarter, there is almost always a ton of seasonal backstock left over (I hate trim, so much) that the dayside attempts to handle in addition to their work.

Our store takes 7 RDC and 3 FDC trucks a week, flow mostly only does the RDC trucks, we have a few TMs work Frozen off the FDC once it arrives then the grocery team comes in to work the rest of the FDC truck. we typically start unload at 10 with 9 people (2 throw, 1 scan, 6 on the line with 1 of them pulling pallets to the floor as needed)

average truck size is 2500-2700 but we have seen over 3000 lately mostly with BTS going on. unload usualy takes about 2 hours.

once pulls are done the pull team goes to the floor and starts their respective departments. 2 in backstock, 1 doing receiving pallets, 1 in electronics, 3 in softlines, 1 breaking out HBA and the rest usually in grocery unless we have extra people that night (usualy FDC nights) we have 2-3 working pets/housewares as well. from grocery the team will move through domestics/plastics/furn or go to HBA depending on how big each area is or sometimes split between the 2 if neither is very big. electronics usualy either is sent to help backstock or do toys/sports/seasonal with another person who is split off from the rest of the team at that point

once truck is done that team goes to their areas as well.

FDC truck usualy shows up between 4 and 8AM, average is around 5AM

We're a AAA store with about 10 RDC and 3-4 FDC, we never really dip below 2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back