Archived On the Bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what does being on the Bench actually mean? I have been told that I'm first on the APS Bench in the district, and that I will be the first to be considered the next time and APS position opens anywhere in the district. I was told that about three weeks ago, when I asked my ETL about taking over for our APS who is transferring.
Fast forward to to this week, and our APS was let go, and I was told that my fellow TPS was promoted to APS for our store. I really like the guy and he's going to be great, so I'm happy for him, but I'm wondering how the APS/TL Bench actually works.

There's passing your interviews and being placed on the bench. Then there is being placed on the bench prior to actually being interviewed.

I've seen both done before. Somebody wanted that other TPS for the spot and they probably already passed their interviews. Until you get those interviews being on the bench doesn't mean much from what I've seen.

I was a TPS for about 6 months, had a talent day at my store come up, passed interviews for APS and was put on the bench. Less than a month later the APS at another store left and I was put into the role. I'm not sure if they interviewed other candidates or not.

I'm not clear if you have passed interviews and have been signed off on or if they are just making verbal promises they can't really keep.

But from what I understand, the STL at a store gets the final say and pick, so there isn't really any way they can promise you that they will require an STL to pick you over someone else.

Being on the bench is when you have already passed the interviews and you're waiting for a position to open up. "In the pipeline" is when your leaders see you getting promoted someday, but you haven't gone through any interviews yet (maybe you aren't quite ready for the interviews), so it's the step before the bench.

If you're on the bench (passed the interviews), it means they'll definitely look at you when the next position opens up. There could be other people who were already on the bench and will get the promotion before you do. There could be people who were put on the bench after you who are either better for that specific position that opened up, or who are just better overall. You could get promoted tomorrow! Or it could be a few months...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back