Archived On to the next one....SFTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was a FATL did well and am moving on to SFTL. I worked sales floor a few times when I was a TM but mostly Market and Meat dept. Any insights on what I'm in for? Tips and tricks on what to focus on first would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! From another thread:
First, congratulations on your position!

Team Leaders are typically promoted internally, because they're the ones who are supposedly the "experts" in their departments and know target's systems inside and out. So you'll have a lot of catching up to do! You'll get a lot of useful information when you train at another store. Learn from your team trainers, target lifers, and top performing team members! They're below you but they're usually the top knowledgable employee's in your departments and have lots of knowledge to share. Partner with other sales floor team leaders to get idea's on developing routines.

As far as your email goes, start off slow. Read through them and if there's anything that demands action from you, take care of it. If it's some useless inspirational email, skim it for the highlights and main points.

Salesplanners- partner with your Presentation Team Lead to get tips, because they essentially do the same thing but for every aisle in the store.

Lastly, study these boards! This website has taught me 10000x more than my entire on-the-clock experience at Target
Thanks @paidtosmile

Last edited:
Every store has different expectations out of their salesfloor TL. And it also really depends on what areas you are covering. The expectations from a TL that covers electronics is vastly different than a TL that covers softlines. What areas are you going to have?

Every store has different expectations out of their salesfloor TL. And it also really depends on what areas you are covering. The expectations from a TL that covers electronics is vastly different than a TL that covers softlines. What areas are you going to have?

I will be hardlines. I will be the second hardlines TL and the other is a Sr TL

I think @Hardlinesmaster said it best. You will get the training you need hell I have been trained in pretty much everything. It can be a bit overwhelming at first because they will throw a lot at you but just give it 110% and as he said you'll eventually find your groove.

I agree with @Loki. It takes some time to get into the groove. Sales floor TL can be a tough role because it isn't cut and dry what your priorities are (at least at my store because POG owns salesplanners) so you have to prioritize and focus on whatever the major focuses are for your store/district/group.

There's some really good replies here and I just want to drive them home:

As @Hardlinesmaster said, learn who your experienced TMs are and utilize their strengths. I have TMs that don't particularly care for zoning but can put up reshop fast or fill milk well so I'll trade off and zone while they do that. My more experienced market TMs are scheduled on my days off because I can trust them to make good decisions for vendors or own clearance or projects that might pop up. And definitely provide feedback! If I see a good zone or we have a good visit, I make sure to let my team know how appreciative I am. I also update them on guest survey and take time to listen/answer any questions they may have. The way I see it, the team makes the leader.

Make sure you pay attention to buying trends. It's fairly common for one of my grocery endcaps to completely blow out and I have to scrape something together in a hurry. IMO, setting an impactful endcap is better than just throwing merch on shelves to make it look full. Make sure you stay flexible and adapt to changes. Friday, I wanted to spend most of my day getting SPs filled for the weekend but our refrigerator vendor was in and I had to demerch and remerch 100' of meat and cheese.

Seek help from your peers! Other than the 8 or so training modules that HR 'said I missed' I haven't had ANY one-on-one TL training. I have had to ask a lot of questions or search for best practices on workbench.

I think Hardlinesmaster and LogisticsFox did a really great job of covering this one!

Like they mentioned, keeping your endcaps full and merchandised is going to be important. I would partner with somebody above you right away and find out what your DTL is looking for from a great sales floor. For example, mine was looking for more strategic planning for the front end (break coverage, finishing workloads, etc.) so that's what I try to focus on.

Get used to partnering up with other TLs a lot more often than you probably did in Food Ave. Everything varies a little from store to store, but you will definitely have some sort of involvement with SPLs. You will also need to partner with the PPTL and get involved with any transitions happening in your area. Also, to stay on top of PTM areas you may need to utilize your instocks team, and may need to partner with a BRTL or LOG ETL. Another challenge will be maintaining the merchandising of your clearance and D-code items, so that they sell through and dont pile up. Also, make sure any displays in your area are set correctly and functioning (if needed). You're basically going to be in "4x4 mode" all the time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back